Achaean Raves

Comments

• So, I know there's certainly some mixed feelings about the ongoing event, so I thought I should maybe take the chance to share the parts that I've thought were pretty great:

-the leadup to this event was pretty cool. It seemed like admin were pretty responsive when people approached denizens about it, even when that person wasn't necessarily a leader of the city. I wish we could've gotten more players to give talking to denizens a try, but it was pretty cool to see denizen interactions be broadly available.

-I've loved the designs of the denizen forces and the flavour surrounding them. All of the ones that I've seen so far have been interesting and subtly expanded on the lore for the groups that they're representing. It makes me wish we'd gotten the chance to see some of the other denizens (or adventurers!) make it past the voting, because I'm really curious what we would have gotten to see.

-I've actually genuinely really enjoyed working out boss mechanics in each area, even if I'm not personally strong enough to make as good of use of that knowledge as I wish. The mechanics are difficult but seem to reliably have tricks to overcoming them, which makes it feel awesome to finally pull off. I'm pretty used to my medium-artefacted self getting smeared across the ground when I try to help in bashing events, and I feel that, if nothing else, I can at least reliably stay alive against these guys.

-Some of these fights have genuinely been a lot of fun. It's always pretty crazy when you get three or four different cities fighting it out, and that's just not something that happens almost ever (even in capture the flags, you see a lot less multi-party fights). If nothing else, it's been pretty cool seeing an event manage to create several of those big battles, and I'll definitely remember them.

I think that these sorts of events that feel high-stakes tend to bring out a lot of frustrations, and understandably so. But I think there's been a lot of really good and interesting work done by the admin team on a lot of parts of this event, and it shows.
  • I'm really curious how adventurers would have been handled for this now. Imagine being approached and being asked to give like 7 mobs, a boss, and a staff that represents 'you' / what you stand for.

...There should be a thread for "What would your Reckoning look like"?
  • I've been super curious about that, and a little sad that I didn't push the get out the vote effort enough to get Harmonia up so that we could see. Just eight votes short!

Makes me wish Keorin was anything resembling a wizard, just a little, hehe.
  • Keorin said:
    Makes me wish Keorin was anything resembling a wizard, just a little, hehe.
    Didn't stop Wavel or Profit from applying!
  • It would have been fun to see a player candidate. Too bad @Taryius didn’t try!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Ictinus said:

@Keorin This is good to hear re: your feedback. My main intent for these going in was to move away from the crushingly strong paradigm that we've gotten rather (over) attached to in the last few years and do something that is more or less brand new for Achaea with mechanics that are a) avoidable, b) easy to spot, and c) extremely punishing of failure; this more or less ensures that there's an appropriate challenge without requiring masses of artefacts or dozens of dragons. 
    Well, personally I'm a fan. They remind me favourably of the horkval gladiator at the end of the Gauntlet a few years back, which I had a lot of fun dealing with. More of a puzzle than a raw numbers check.

Mind, my experience is dropping like a brick, but it's for a good cause.

• edited April 2020
    Atalkez said:
    It would have been fun to see a player candidate. Too bad @Taryius didn’t try!
    Yeah, I'm really quite curious how this would have played out. Would have been fun if Yudhishthira had just stood in front of them and said, "so, now summon your armies!" and left them with that without any admin help :D
  • Bashed for 2 hours yesterday and didn't get a boss.  1/10 made me feel like a fail.

• Akri said:
    I'm having a blast with the Reckoning's free pk areas. Big raves for all the people, on every team, who keep rushing in to fight, die, kill, fight some more! Even with the wicked witch of Darkenwood raining death on us all today. Good fights, people!  :)
    Props to you and @Crixos, you guys as a duel are very synchronized (auto or not) which takes time and effort. Glad you're having fun!
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."

• About time for this, having to pick up little ones without a marque from outer islands, or having to tell them to heartstop, being revived ON guards from outside of enemy cities. Wish it had been changed months ago, though. 
  • edited April 2020
    Minifie said:

About time for this, having to pick up little ones without a marque from outer islands, or having to tell them to heartstop, being revived ON guards from outside of enemy cities. Wish it had been changed months ago, though. 
    The fact people were abusing this with chenubian wings is in and of itself disgusting.

Much less doing it to lil ones.
  • People did that kind of stuff? That's just wrong...
  • Managed to figure out Lacharhad's mechanics while having to dodge what felt like 50 people (about 3 dedicated people, plus some stragglers). Was fun despite not getting to finish!

• Cooper said:
    Managed to figure out Lacharhad's mechanics while having to dodge what felt like 50 people (about 3 dedicated people, plus some stragglers). Was fun despite not getting to finish!
    Thank you for giving me the chance to play the other side of that, too. I had to go make dinner, but it's way more fun getting to kick other people's sand castles over!
  • edited April 2020
    Cooper said:
    Managed to figure out Lacharhad's mechanics while having to dodge what felt like 50 people (about 3 dedicated people, plus some stragglers). Was fun despite not getting to finish!
    Today's attempts were actually some of the more fun goes at throwing ourselves at the reckoning. Thanks for showing up so we stopped doing stupid things like hit statues or just die... repeatedly.
  • @Veerah, thank you for returning a LOT of inks and minerals when you didn't have to. Considering the value of what I dropped, not everyone would have.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• @Crixos got a few commander kills today I think? Good showing Mhaldor!
  • I tried to steal it, but I'm not a dragon so I died instantly instead. :s
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Also, having now heard the story of how Rakia died, that was super epic, just by the way. I think I'm more hyped about it than @Crixos himself is but THAT WAS NUTS.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• New story material!