Gagging to improve group combat.

Participating in the recent capture-the-flag especially, has shown me that it's come the time to start chopping out some text to make things a bit more manageable for group combat.

What are some of the things you like to gag that don't remove game feel and don't hide information from you?

Comments

• Off the top of my head...

Standing, wielding (myself and others), paralysed messages (I show one and gag any others for ~2-3 seconds). All queue-related messages. 'need eq/balance' messages. Others are class-specific, like all the extra lines Alchemist have that are purely for flavour. Shaman has a few as well.

• I don't gag anything. Embrace the spam!
  • Iocun said:
    I don't gag anything. Embrace the spam!
    Ha! I’ve done that for the entire time I’ve played, but I think now it’s time to be a little more efficient. 
  • Well, to be precise, while I really only completely gag extremely few things (mainly because I hate missing out on information that could later prove useful, particularly when trying to fix bugs or when looking through logs), I do combine a few spammy messages to a single line (such as clotting).

Furthermore, I simply colour some unimportant things in a dark grey. That way it's still available when I scroll back and in my logs, but it doesn't catch my attention on-screen and blends into the background.
  • Iocun said:
    Well, to be precise, while I really only completely gag extremely few things (mainly because I hate missing out on information that could later prove useful, particularly when trying to fix bugs or when looking through logs), I do combine a few spammy messages to a single line (such as clotting).

Furthermore, I simply colour some unimportant things in a dark grey. That way it's still available when I scroll back and in my logs, but it doesn't catch my attention on-screen and blends into the background.
    That's a great idea actually, am definitely going to do this so more pertinent information is more visible.
  • I have a lot of stuff gagged even if I capture it. I used to have a toggle built in so if I was getting into a fight/raid I could go ahead and basically gag everything I could think of. If not in a fight just turn it off and see everything again.

• If you're trying to make sure you don't miss any info for when you're looking back over the fight after it is over, you can gag a line, then use insertLink and stick the gagged line in the tooltip. I'll gag lines like queueing a DW combo and replace it with a link that looks like (i) that I can just mouse-over to see the combo that was gagged.
  • edited March 2020
    That's actually interesting. Trying to find a good way to review logs with gagged items was a pain.  Does the link perpetuate when you save in HTML and review offline (assuming it would since html uses links)

• I like gags.

Also, after the last big group combat I gagged anything involving BREATHING. The spam is REAL.

Also part deux, for my Nexus people out there there's a setting where you can hide everything that's in the chat capture in the main window. Very useful for all the spammmmmmmmm spammy spam spam.
    (Party): Kondar says, "Anyone else a little terrified of Astrika right now?"
    (Party): Volan says, "No groin strikes please."

Ryldagh falls in a blaze of silver to Astrika, Acolyte of Cruelty's sword, Dark Gorillas.
    (Cyrene): Ahmet says, "Buahahaha."
    (Cyrene): Jayden says, "Hehehehe."
    (Cyrene): Ahmet says, "I am the evil Astrika, warrior of Mhaldor! Bow to my vicious blade, Dark Gorillas!"
  • Astrika said:
    I like gags.

• I've noticed in group combat that there is a ton of eating and drinking going on that someone may not necessarily need to care about. Of course one may want to keep track of the afflictions that their target is curing, but in order to reduce the overall amount of noise from others without impacting my current target I created a couple of triggers for Nexus in order to do so.

They look like this, very simple but hopefully it might help someone out:

• @Kaios Tunnelvision is basically that. You gag curative use by anybody but your target.
  • Oh haha, well that's handy.  =)

Guess I should pay more attention to the vision skill tree, ironically. Thanks for the tip!