Promotional Talismans

(clan): Crixos says, "Wtf."
    (clan): Crixos says, "Why u shitting up the thread LOl."
    (clan): Crixos says, "Quick edit it to be promotion talismans."
    (clan): Crixos says, "PANIC."
    (clan): You say, "Done."
    (clan): Crixos jokingly says, "Lol."
  • edited February 2020
    I've been gone for six years and I've seen some great stuff since I'm back.

I'm probably still unaware of most changes, haven't actually tried combat yet, have no clue about the new classes etc., but so far I can say:

- Some new class balancing looks great. I'm not going into details, because I haven't really experienced it in actual combat, but it feels like many previously useless abilities now serve a purpose, several classes have more options towards a kill rather than being forced down a single road and some really annoying hindering abilities have been nerfed.

- I've only started to explore the new places (Yggdrasil etc.), but so far they look great. Still very curious about the Underrealm.

- Multiclass.

- Server-side curing. I was still around when it happened, but not long enough to see it in action/use it. I still have some open questions about it, but in general I think it's incredibly beneficial for the game and makes combat extremely more accessible. Also, it means I now don't die in lag-spikes quite as much.

- In the same vein, other forms of server-side automation that diminish the need for extended scripts, such as queueing and speedwalking.

- Veils are gone (in their old function).

- Better emoting system and removal of emote balance.

- Dying seems less prohibitive. I really don't remember at which points experience loss on dying was changed to which degree, but overall, I feel like I can now afford to die without losing many hours of gameplay filled with hunting.

- Battlerage is fun.

- One thing that's going back quite a bit longer, when I was still active, but I think was incredibly beneficial for Achaea: the removal of the old PK rules. Remember when you had to read through huge towers of text in order to know if you were allowed to kill someone or not? Yeah, I don't miss that.

Worst change:

* The DOWN exit from the clouds has been moved to one room EAST, to prevent accidental movement into Mhaldor's defendable territory.
    RIP Mhaldor totem diving with gallop  :'( 

• edited February 2020
    Jiraishin said:
    Server-side curing. A lot of people take free curing for granted now, but I was a broke teen with no credit card back before there were widely used free systems, and my people's combat instruction sessions with me tended to go like this:

1.OK, do you have SVO? 
    2. You should get it. It's cheap. 
    3. Well, I guess get back to me when you get it and can cure. Seriously, it's cheap. 
    I remember my early credit purchases when I first started playing. Tiny increments from saved money. I didn't have my license so I got my mom to take me to the post office, where I purchased a money order (to maybe buy 25 credits or so. Did that maybe twice and I believe I got 100 credits once, but that was it. Money orders though. Lmao.

But yeah, I remember one of those money orders being used to switch to Mudlet (I was using goddamn MUSHclient,) and buy Vadi System, predating SVO. What I'm saying is, I can relate lol. I just saved money here and there as I got it to make my tiny purchases on Tribal.

To stay on topic:

Bal'Met was one of the biggest changes I've ever experienced in a game that seemed to turn everything upside down. When Shallam sank, you had this impending and constant fear that legitimately NO ONE was safe. Nothing was safe: Your God, your City, your friends, your favourite hunting spot, NOTHING. It shook me to my core as a gamer.

In hindsight there was quite a bit of ex machina (like a bunch of Gods going to an obvious fucking trap to save Hermes, just to name one.) and I still RP holding a super strong grudge against Mhaldor and in particular Sartan. It still trips me out that beating the shit out of Mhaldor a while after the incident was all the punishment that was dished out for how much damage they caused. I'm just saying, Sartan walks around living his best life and there have been way worse punishments dished out for lesser offenses than "assisted with getting a fuckton of Gods killed, causing a City to sink, causing utter destruction, almost literally ending the world" imo. That ex machina shit of "BuT ApOlLyOn AnD sHaItAn DiD aLl ThAt, SaRtAn DiDn'T!" just never really sat well with me. Homie was split in two. One got rekt so the other absorbed him to become whole again. Everyone just moved on like it was nbd and his two halves weren't wholly responsible.
    Sorry. Like I said, it shook me to my core as a gamer. Lmao. /endrant
  • The change to veils and widening the communication channels were huge additions for me, made a game with a relatively small player base feel much bigger. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited February 2020
    Sobriquet said:
    The change to veils and widening the communication channels were huge additions for me, made a game with a relatively small player base feel much bigger. 
    I agree that those were very good things, but I'm not sure about it making the game/world feel bigger. If you can communicate freely between islands/continents/planes, that makes the world feel smaller to me, but with the player base we have, that needs to be the case.

I guess one could call it "bigger" in the sense that you can effectively use much more of the world without cutting yourself off from the multiplayer aspect of the game.
  • Iocun said:
    Sobriquet said:
    The change to veils and widening the communication channels were huge additions for me, made a game with a relatively small player base feel much bigger. 
    I agree that those were very good things, but I'm not sure about it making the game/world feel bigger. If you can communicate freely between islands/continents/planes, that makes the world feel smaller to me, but with the player base we have, that needs to be the case.

I guess one could call it "bigger" in the sense that you can effectively use much more of the world without cutting yourself off from the multiplayer aspect of the game.
    I think it was more the case of going from 70 people on qhwo to 200 after the Gem change, which probably made things feel bigger. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."