Spreadsheets

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a spreadsheet junkie and whenever I play a game I'm always looking to document everything. Usually it doesn't actually help me do better in the game in any way (lol!) but it does help with my engagement. Already I've had a ton of fun filling in this spreadsheet based on the quests I'm discovering in the first 3 hours of the game and I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else likes keeping track of things like this too!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-CAa_RiXtBUKelWOvsqxUnp7S4oyrq5QWzu-K9Lfogg/edit?usp=sharing - It's public and anyone can edit it if you want to add things to it. Just please don't delete anything. :)

Some of my favorite quests so far have been "Train a Hellcat" (you get a cool pet for a while!) and "Freedom from Slavery" (although it was a little bit anti-climactic and doesn't have a gold reward). I haven't figured out if there is an alignment/consequence system for quests so I've been kinda bouncing from good to evil at a times out of curiosity. "A Tasty Snack" has a wicked twist that I didn't see coming and I guess if you're playing a strictly good character you should probably avoid it. The prereq for "Dark Portal" is "A Bit of Science" and you pretty obviously followed the ill intent of the imp alchemist when you fed the sick kobold the altered medicine. I still did it because someone (Akar?) told me that helping the imp alchemist would get you into a locked basement in the Imp Tower and I couldn't resist. :)

Is there an alignment system that I should know about? I noticed that you can play both sides of the Imp/Pixie war and the Queen and the Lord still trust you even if you slaughtered all of their subjects. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the rewards for each side, though, so the only reason to avoid one or the other would be if you think pixies are cute and innocent, I guess.

Still trying to figure out what renown does. I know collecting 100 gets you a credit but it's also on SCORE like I can keep collecting it and maybe use it somewhere else?

What are some of your favorite quests?

Loving the game so far!

Comments

• Giving away quest info is frowned upon, especially in an OOC format like this.  Might want to ask an admin to delete this before you get shrubbed.

• Caelan said:
    Giving away quest info is frowned upon, especially in an OOC format like this.  Might want to ask an admin to delete this before you get shrubbed.
    Newbie quests are an exception to this rule generally, which looks like what most of these are.  Just gotta be careful sharing stuff like this after those novice areas. 
  • Welcome to Achaea! That sort of enthusiasm is great to see. I highly doubt admin will shrub a new player for being too enthusiastic about the game, but they may request to have the quest information kept in-game, to preserve some of that magic for other people. A lot of people enjoy figuring out quests, and having the solutions available online detracts from that satisfaction somewhat. This is probably part of the admin's reasoning behind wanting quest information kept in-game. 

Feel free to say hello if you see me around in-game, I'd be happy to show you a few new areas!

i'm a rebel

• Austere said:
    Caelan said:
    Giving away quest info is frowned upon, especially in an OOC format like this.  Might want to ask an admin to delete this before you get shrubbed.
    Newbie quests are an exception to this rule generally, which looks like what most of these are.  Just gotta be careful sharing stuff like this after those novice areas. 
    Right but I figure if he/she is tracking this, it won't take much to step over the line accidentally or purposefully.  I would hate to have them shrubbed thinking theybwere helping... and losing an enthusiastic member.

• After figuring out in game what being shrubbed means, I'm gonna follow Caelan's advice and make that link private. Sorry, but I'm still curious to know the answers to some of my questions and maybe, in the spirit of this thread, I'll make some kind of new spreadsheet in the future that doesn't give away information that goes against the rules!

• Well that explains why I can’t find anything about quests online hahaha
  • You can probably be fine with listing the quests and all that, just the giving out of how to solve the quest is frowned on last I knew.

• edited February 2020
    you get credit at every 100 renown up to 4.

Still find it hilarious that everyone is so against making life easier for newbs, including constraining quest info (considering quests are probably one of the few ways newbs can do to get renown at all).
  • A thing that could be useful and probably won't be breaching the quest info thing is a spreadsheet telling how much renown each quest you find are worth (and at what level), and if you use the ID of the quest (check QUEST LOG) you won't be giving any hints to which specific quests it is so only those who's already done the quests would know which quests you are talking about

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Morsul said:

Still find it hilarious that everyone is so against making life easier for newbs, including constraining quest info (considering quests are probably one of the few ways newbs can do to get renown at all).
    We actually all have a clan in game where we think of ways to make it harder for noobs to progress. You're not allowed in because you're such a valiant and noble person that we know our nefarious novice hating plans would get foiled by you at every turn
  • Veldrin said:
    A thing that could be useful and probably won't be breaching the quest info thing is a spreadsheet telling how much renown each quest you find are worth (and at what level), and if you use the ID of the quest (check QUEST LOG) you won't be giving any hints to which specific quests it is so only those who's already done the quests would know which quests you are talking about
    Do you get different amounts of renown based on your level? Do you know any more about this? I could modify the spreadsheet if it's something simple like "everyone under level 20 gets 50 renown, everyone under level 30 gets 40 renown, etc." so it'd be nice to know!
    Morsul said:

I made the spreadsheet public again and took out the Directions column, since it seems like giving away instructions for how to do quests is what makes it illegal. I'm definitely committed to helping other newbs like me get all their renown every day!

• Archaeon said:
    Morsul said:

We actually all have a clan in game where we think of ways to make it harder for noobs to progress. You're not allowed in because you're such a valiant and noble person that we know our nefarious novice hating plans would get foiled by you at every turn
    i know, i am the only good in this game ever
  • edited February 2020
    ignore
  • Big setback, unfortunately. I completely missed the fact that when you get to level 21 you can't go into the newbie areas anymore. There are holes all over the sheet now where I didn't get a chance to finish the quests to see the rewards. :( Maybe I can find some other newbies who can do the errands for me.

Sorry! I hate empty cells in a spreadsheet as much as everyone else (or maybe I'm the only crazy one who cares. Lol!)

• You will make a good Staff Sergeant one day, lil pup.

• It doesn't help with the newbie area spreadsheet gaps, but what to do post newbie areas is actually a huge issue, and lots of us are so far removed from the levels (say, under 50?) that I think it could still be useful if you want to continue your work. And no, to my knowledge renown isn't based on level. 

Welcome to Achaea!
  • For those curious, it does look like the amount of renown awarded for a quest changes based on your level. Pre-21 I received 40 renown for turning in butterflies to Vellis, and post-21 I'm receiving 20. Looks like it's time to figure out that formula!

• Veldrin said:
    A thing that could be useful and probably won't be breaching the quest info thing is a spreadsheet telling how much renown each quest you find are worth (and at what level), and if you use the ID of the quest (check QUEST LOG) you won't be giving any hints to which specific quests it is so only those who's already done the quests would know which quests you are talking about
    Do you get different amounts of renown based on your level? Do you know any more about this? I could modify the spreadsheet if it's something simple like "everyone under level 20 gets 50 renown, everyone under level 30 gets 40 renown, etc." so it'd be nice to know!
    There's a lot of quests I don't get any renown for because I'm way above level 100. So I don't know if renown diminishes as your level increases or if there just is a cut off point at some point where a quest won't give you any renown. That could be really useful to know.

• A few updates:
    • I moved newbie quests to a different sheet on their own.
    • It looks like level 40 might be one place where the renown rewards start to diminish... but only some quests I've tracked so far. Looks like if there's a rule that decides how much renown you earn for a quest, it's not an across the board adjustment?
    • I'm leveling up faster than I expected to, so there are LOTS of holes in the spreadsheet now. If any lowbies/midbies like me want to help out by performing some of the quests and recording how much renown they earned at their level, it'd be greatly appreciated!

• I have spreadsheets for commodity costs and pricing!
    Also battlerage combinations...

And probably a few other dirt old spreadsheets I've forgotten existed.
  • I have a folder full of spreadsheets on all sorts of stuff,  mainly commerce related.  They're such useful tools!
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• I have a sheet with certain mobs and their area/room locations. Quite handy sometimes.
  • y'all need to upgrade to mudlet databases...much more convenient :)

• +1 for spreadsheets, makes charging large numbers of people a simple task.

• I made CAD drawings to try and figure out the monk limbcounting formula. Helped me figure out that it was linear, when everyone I talked to had a logarithmic formula.

https://imgur.com/Mxp0R1s

• Jacen said:
    I made CAD drawings to try and figure out the monk limbcounting formula. Helped me figure out that it was linear, when everyone I talked to had a logarithmic formula.

https://imgur.com/Mxp0R1s

"Is ortho messing up your wiring?"
    "No sir, I'm trying to break people's limbs more accurately."
  • For those curious, it does look like the amount of renown awarded for a quest changes based on your level. Pre-21 I received 40 renown for turning in butterflies to Vellis, and post-21 I'm receiving 20. Looks like it's time to figure out that formula!
    You are amazing.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it