Adventure Updates - Daily Credits!

Comments

• Can we get a CONFIRM prompt, like so many other things, so we don't get stuck in some dumb alternate adventure to the one we wanted? Echoing what the adventure is when you try and pick it would be nice. 
  • So, three requests for new adventures:

KILL/BE KILLED BY SOMEONE WHO HAS YOUR BOUNTY OR CONTRACT. 

SPEND 30 CONSECUTIVE MINUTES IN ANNWYN

BE SLAIN BY ANOTHER PLAYER

Just three dumb ideas to reward/prod people who may not want to engage in the conflict ones.  
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Group activities are rewarding.
  • edited February 2020
    @Nicola is there a way to flag quests that aren't part of the quest system yet?

Is it also possible to see how mush renown a quest will give you? I did a few yesterday in the quest system yesterday that I thought were in the suggested areas areas and got nada.
  • I can't find this in the documentation - how much does it cost to reject an Adventure?

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• It's now 6000 gold to reject an adventure! (Down from 15k, from what I saw!)
  • Hmm, seems like there's something a bit off with quest rewards, we'll look into it and see what's going on there.
  • I tend to be mostly negative in regard to how the game has been run for the last few years,. It's about time I give credit where credit's due.  It's good to see change in a good direction.  Once all the bugs and other problems are solved,  I'm sure this will be an amazing system. 
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• should make gaining certain levels also give renown. Maybe the same levels that give bound credits.
  • Morsul said:
    should make gaining certain levels also give renown. Maybe the same levels that give bound credits.

Renown is just fractions of bound credits now, not really a point in giving it for levels when you already get bound credits there.
  • Low-levels typically have a harder time getting renown. This would give them a bit of a leg up, otherwise it just perpetuates the have/have-not divide.
  • Yeah but a level is already worth the equivalent of 80 renown in lessons and every 5 you get the equivalent of minimum 500 renown and up to like 2k. Just seems kind of stupid to say 'you received 5.1 bound credits'. The point of auto conversion is low enough that you will only ever be 90 renown away from having a new credit and lowbies should be able to get that with the quest stuff.
  • edited February 2020
    You're missing it.

The level 90+ people now can probably get their full 20 renown credits every day. By getting to level 90+, they also got their level credits.

The level <90 people now are getting probably 10 renown credits by virtue of being less tanky and less able to do adventures.

Each day that passes wherein the low-levels don't get their full 20 renown credits, they lag further behind the high-levels who can get their full renown creds.

A lot of the game's systems already reinforce the position of early adopters, sure. But it would be a shame if this snazzy new addition gets added to the list.
  • I think it would make more sense to just have low level quests (which aren't awarding renown to higher levels already, as part of the system) reward more renown per quest. That compensates for the multitude of "medium" and "hard" adventures that lowbies can't do.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Morsul said:
    Each day that passes wherein the low-levels don't get their full 20 renown credits, they lag further behind the high-levels who can get their full renown creds.
    Every day you don't play Achaea is lagging behind too, so I don't really understand this argument.
  • Morsul said:
    You're missing it.

The level 90+ people now can probably get their full 20 renown credits every day. By getting to level 90+, they also got their level credits.

The level <90 people now are getting probably 10 renown credits by virtue of being less tanky and less able to do adventures.

A lot of the game's systems already reinforce the position of early adopters, sure. But it would be a shame if this snazzy new addition gets added to the list.
    You're missing it. Adding renown to levels wouldn't do anything at all because the amount you would get is so low. If you got 50 renown per level you would end up with an additional 50 credits at level 100, which catches you up by less than a week. 

• edited February 2020
    I see where Morsul is coming from. Credits have always beget credits in the sense that the more artes you had, the faster you could do things that made you money and get more credits. This system is an extension of that as stronger people can quickly blast their cap and go back to gold farming while newbies are left behind.

HOWEVER. 

I'm waiting to see how quest rewards are adjusted per Phaestus' post. If they are strongly biased upwards, then it'll serve as an equalizer as newbies have more areas at or above their level to quest in, with less competition. Right now however, it takes about 20 commonish quests (8-16 renown) to equal a ffa win (300) so it's still too disparate.
  • I think some level-limited adventures could really help the system for the newer players, along with quests giving a bit more. Like, hunting adventures that need to be completed solo, but involve doable enemies for that level, stuff like that. The system as it is was clearly balanced for experienced and higher level players, and while I love the chance at more credit income, I do think we're probably the ones who need this system less, if anything.
  • edited February 2020
    heh @ not giving newbies more credits

Sometimes I'm unsure what's worse about Achaea, the admins or the players. 
  • This perceived need to get max credits every day is a risk, I reckon. The game will be far less engaging if everyone spends a lot of their time doing mechanical things off a limited list, at the expense of the more interesting interactions between players. "Free" things are nice (cue "there's no such thing as a free lunch"), of course, but grind for the sake of grind is not what makes Achaea special. I trust (I actually do) that the admin know this too.

I personally prefer player driven (with or without god or admin assistance) conflict and interaction based on what makes IC sense over activities made artificially interesting through semi-OOC rewards or the "admin made mechanics for this, so it must be important" plot hook. This last point probably sounds more harsh than I intend it to, and it is in any case another topic.

More on topic, yes, newcomers need credits more than established players. Hopefully the quests thing can be balanced to make renown-generation roughly equal across levels
  • Seragorn said:
    I cant applaud the staff enough for these changes, they're fantastic.
    Best thing that's ever happened to Achaea, hands down. I've really tried to push my login time up, not to get this stuff done, but because I know there's something going on ic that will actually pull my interest.  

Now I just need to remember to turn my elite on to show my thanks monetarily. 
  • Ysela said:
    This perceived need to get max credits every day is a risk, I reckon. The game will be far less engaging if everyone spends a lot of their time doing mechanical things off a limited list, at the expense of the more interesting interactions between players. "Free" things are nice (cue "there's no such thing as a free lunch"), of course, but grind for the sake of grind is not what makes Achaea special. I trust (I actually do) that the admin know this too.

I personally prefer player driven (with or without god or admin assistance) conflict and interaction based on what makes IC sense over activities made artificially interesting through semi-OOC rewards or the "admin made mechanics for this, so it must be important" plot hook. This last point probably sounds more harsh than I intend it to, and it is in any case another topic.

More on topic, yes, newcomers need credits more than established players. Hopefully the quests thing can be balanced to make renown-generation roughly equal across levels

You're not alone here. While I have been renown gaming as much as anyone so far, the feeling that I have to do X random tasks every day (not even always for myself, often it's others who want me to help them with their own adventures for their own credits), and all the talk around me about it is definitely frustrating me some and reducing immersion. That being said, I was glad the pk adventures got made non-citizen only at least (so I could stop being asked by citymates to let them kill me for renown), and I agree it may die down some eventually, so it's hard to judge now how it will be once things settle in.

But I mostly don't like that I have to choose between mechanical rewards and playing a character. Like, there's no IC reason for everybody in the whole damned universe to want the Mhunna dead. But now everyone does. I'm not sure how to fix this, though. The ability to gain credits every day is definitely a benefit to the game in the sense that people need credits to get the full experience of the game in pk and otherwise. And I also agree that encouraging group activities can be good for the game and motivate people to go out and do things.

It would be cool if every city had its own renown mobs, like someone else mentioned. Just because it'd help reinforce city IC identity at least a little, rather than having everyone set on killing all these denizens for no real reason. But I'm not sure how viable that'd be.

I think there could stand to be a few more pk renown options too. Bounties are good renown, but contracts should have one too, and destroying a shrine. I feel like pretty much all pkers are out doing all these bashing things lately, and, to me, it's felt like there's been less pk as a result. While, again, this may change as things settle in, I think more pk renown options might help with that - keep the pk going by allowing the daily max to be met primarily through that.

It'd be great if we could reward other rp-oriented activities with renown too, since those are what make the game really engaging for me, and I'd rather not have people ignore those in favor of credit producing activities, but admittedly I'm not sure how one would do that without it being stupidly gamed.

• We can probably expand the adventure options a bit more now that we've seen it in practice. Some "no brainer" things previously weren't on the list because they weren't fair things to give someone at random. Defiling a shrine is a good example of something that probably would suck for a lot of people to have got as their random adventure, though I'm not necessarily sure that's a good one to add because of the potential for everyone to clear shrines on mass. Do like the contract one though.

No comment on factional adventures yet, its an interesting idea but not something we've had any kind of dialogue concerning so far.

• Is there a way to disable the "You have received X renown" MSGs? If you do a number of adventure completions in a month, then the stream of messages is rather spammy.
  • A few screwed up and took "a trio of raging sea serpents" instead of "a sea serpent" for theirs and we had to sit there a minute (while it attacked us) and sort numbers. It is definitely a rough, unfinished-feeling part of the system.