Year 2020

With the new year coming up, what are some additions, hopes, events, changes or otherwise that you would like to see in Achaea?

Keep it tame please.

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    An artefact that generates sketches that you can assign to any of the crafting trades.
    So a generic sketch could be turned into a blank tailoring sketch etc that would be awesome.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Some things I'd love to see:

- A revamped war system focused on troop amassing and sieges. Raids can remain as they are but I'd really love the idea of the legendary wars of the city-states from history being reflected in mechanics.

- The initiation/interactions with the continent of Therophage and through that the discovery of the empire there, leading to the sparking of a large-scale war of conquests. Traveling there is filled with immense danger for any achaean as they are seen as invaders, but you will uncover many an interesting thing such as how they view and interact/interacted with the Divine.
  • Better way to get wood 💯.

Or let me use credits for wood I don't have to continue building my estate.

Delete artefacts.

That's all.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Asmodron can already travel there, just need to know the right people!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• ^ I'd really like the answer to the question of player / area accessibility not to be "You just need to know someone who spent 5000cr on wings"

I'd really like to go back to the idea that you can get everything in the game by grinding for credits, or buying them to speed that process up. Not the shitshow we have at the moment with Caches / talisman pieces

I'd really like to be 100% guaranteed that if I spent RL money on the game, I actually obtain the item I want.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • In 2020 all I really want is -

Putting some tools for events and storytelling in the hands of responsible city/org leaders which allows them to help flesh out the world and take some of the burden away from admins/divine!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited December 2019
    Torinn said:
    In 2020 all I really want is -

Putting some tools for events and storytelling in the hands of responsible city/org leaders which allows them to help flesh out the world and take some of the burden away from admins/divine!

I have seen this a few times and I am curious what these "tools" are?

Let's start by taking denizen manipulation off of the table. There is an entire section of training that comes with it, involving NDAs, manuals, etc. I will not even get into making sure story consistency is maintained for them.  So what seems like a minor or simple interaction to you can sometimes be a LOT more involved in the background. Not to mention the the oversight that would need, because that is a doozy all in itself.

So what tools?

Also let's try not to derail @Asmodron's thread too much?

• edited December 2019
    Derails thread, ends post accusing others of derailing thread.

As for denizen interactions, I've never undergone training, signed an NDA, or had to read any manuals beyond the publicly available HELP files to use the pet and servant systems.

Story consistency is also not a factor in either as neither are permitted to impact the ever important Achaean canon anyway, stuff like how both of Eleusis's patrons very seriously might be puppet queens under some other force's control, but stop questioning the goddesses of nature, Eleusis.

PS: The city you patron ICly already pioneers the idea of player-controlled NPCs, though they aren't denizens but just background slaves existing only in player emotes and illusions.
  • Also, to give a simple example: ritual rooms.

Rooms where anyone (of sufficient org status) can do room emotes for rituals.

They already existed, though I don't know if any is still operational.
  • Lenn said:

As for denizen interactions, I've never undergone training, signed an NDA, or had to read any manuals beyond the publicly available HELP files to use the pet and servant systems.

Story consistency is also not a factor in either as neither are permitted to impact the ever important Achaean canon anyway, stuff like how both of Eleusis's patrons very seriously might be puppet queens under some other force's control, but stop questioning the goddesses of nature, Eleusis.

PS: The city you patron ICly already pioneers the idea of player-controlled NPCs, though they aren't denizens but just background slaves existing only in player emotes and illusions.
     yeah, as in they’re not actual NPCs that a god would control 
  • Lenn said:

Npcs you make aren’t holding up to 22 years of historical information that Achaea keeps safeguarded specifically due to how controlling specific npcs with skills/abilities/history that players could abuse if they found a way in. Players have a lot of control already if they seize it and don’t set themselves up to specifically need their actions to be backed by divine/devs or expect their results to have an impact. Every small-large scale “thing” I plan is built from the ground up with 0 divine intervention, with a small modicum of leeway for if they DO participate I can try and help steer towards nothing too strenuous or unviable story-wise. Not having a divine in a city is frustrating and rough, but isn’t resolved by simply handing some controls to the players, but instead ensuring they still get some care to help keep them rolling. 

OT: I would want to see the balancing work continue, as well as the relenting on new talisman sets. Some great steps have been made, but still a long way to go! 

For me, I want to finally finish a 500 year war, with an interesting and fun culmination. No guarantees, but I am excited even just for the interest from Mhaldorians to join in and want to crush some mhun throats :3
  • edited December 2019
    I'm not sure anyone seriously suggested that someone should be able to control Epicurus, so that 22 years of history is a strawman.
  • Lenn said:
    I'm not sure anyone seriously suggested that someone should be able to control Epicurus, so that 22 years of history is a strawman.
    I never said they wanted that, creating an ironic strawman in this case! I was pointing out that denizens have existed for that long, which is reason why there is things such as NDA’s and a lot more to controlling denizens than it seems at first.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    lol   
  • New conflict system that’s not related to raiding.

The ability to defile shrines again 😭

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited December 2019
    Minifie said:
    Lenn said:
    I never said they wanted that, creating an ironic strawman in this case! I was pointing out that denizens have existed for that long, which is reason why there is things such as NDA’s and a lot more to controlling denizens than it seems at first.
    It's not particularly a strawman. Epicurus is an ironic choice based on the 22 years comment, but he's a stand-in for virtually any pre-existing denizen.

I don't think denizen control is by far the most important thing that could be added, it's just funny to hear that it's "off the table" when it already exists.
  • Atalkez said:
    New conflict system that’s not related to raiding.

The ability to defile shrines again 😭
    Get Sartai, nerd
  • I want more scrapping.

Maybe there can be NPC scrappers, scrapping quests, official tournaments or leagues, welfare scrappers to increase interest, and some extensions to the mechanics themselves.
  • More toggles for function versus aesthetic. Ignore tposes, titles, drawing/sheathing, expressiveness to some degree. Replace customisations with base item (customised).

There are times I want to be immersed in the world and there are times where I just want to know what the fuck is going on.
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Ritual rooms still exist. I can think of three or four off the top of my head. There's also several class skills, plus an entire chain of artefacts that lets you simulate what those rooms realistically offer anywhere in Sapience, with the upper end allowing you to broadcast across entire areas and even continents in some cases.

Pets can be customized to be quite robust in their expressiveness, and many people make regular use of them. I know there's a bit of feedback regarding housing servants being unwieldy to use properly and requiring some... creative workarounds to do what should be simple things, but that can absolutely be addressed at some point, I'm sure.

What kind of scope is missing from what currently exists? There's been something of an enduring disinterest in ritualistic things for many years now, and I'm doubtful the absence of tools is the cause for it.

• edited December 2019
    This is maybe not super related, but I'd love to see a less expensive version of lightspire (or even just L1 illusion) that can only be used for RP*. It would be really neat to have the ability to have more lively RP events (i.e., more than just emotes and says) that aren't necessarily tied to a room in the city that is only appropriate for religious/ritual events. It's a bummer to gate more lifelike RP behind a $169-$579 artefact.

* I realize this might be complicated to implement. Maybe it would not work within x minutes of an aggressive act?
  • I personally find rituals super awkward, I don't really know how to ritual.

As for the artefacts, though I have the best illusion artefact, I also have a lifevision artefact, so I know how off-putting trying to roleplay an illusion as really happening can look, and so I only really use mine for "actual" illusions if that makes sense.
  • Zbaco said:
    Forums & official discord shut down for at least two weeks (bonus points if it's in the middle of a major event) so we have no choice but to settle everything IC :p
    There is no 'official' discord. It's just a bunch of us being dorks.
  • Reyson said:
    Babel said:
    Ritual rooms still exist. I can think of three or four off the top of my head. There's also several class skills, plus an entire chain of artefacts that lets you simulate what those rooms realistically offer anywhere in Sapience, with the upper end allowing you to broadcast across entire areas and even continents in some cases.

Pets can be customized to be quite robust in their expressiveness, and many people make regular use of them. I know there's a bit of feedback regarding housing servants being unwieldy to use properly and requiring some... creative workarounds to do what should be simple things, but that can absolutely be addressed at some point, I'm sure.

What kind of scope is missing from what currently exists? There's been something of an enduring disinterest in ritualistic things for many years now, and I'm doubtful the absence of tools is the cause for it.
    I'm not with Lenn on this one, but I'd like to chime in! With something hopefully insightful. 

The lack of canonic sources for ritual instruction can be a bit difficult, at times. There are books, but they're very dense, and they mostly come from other players, in my experience, which is okay, but it lacks the same weight something handed down from a God or a God's servants might (for example, a book written by Ailea might have less cache than a book written by Komari, or someone else, in Mhaldor's case). 

A lot of the time, just a little supervision or the central nugget of a tradition provided by a God or God's NPC can spawn hours and hours and hours of effort on PCs' behalf. Like a snowball, it accelerates and grows over time, but the truth is we all play in a game where Gods are canonically meant to be the prime drivers of ours stories and our characters' lives, particularly in Theocracies and in every City, in general. A little event, or a canonical source, or some other small initiating move can really get a big reaction, and an ongoing one. 

Colours in ritual rooms are great, but a Lightspire being 'accessible' is a little farcical. Two thousand credits for a strictly RP tool is a big, big pricetag, and I'm not entirely sure even for me (and I've run as many events as I can in the last six months, in all of which I'd love to have added coloured illusions!) it'd be worth it. 

ETA: Pets are also very expensive, as an RP resource.

I will say that the most rewarding thing from a player's perspective, for those of us that plan things and try to run events for others, is Admin participation. Note that I say participation, and not lead. The participation in the Rhodestrian expedition, Komari showing for the Mayaween Ball, these things are amazing. I didn't have to coordinate with Komari until the day of, and (s)he was kind enough to provide something very cool, and special, but even just the NPC's appearance and interaction went such, such a long way. Those coded, neat, tangible little things are amazing, and fun, but just having NPCs come to life and breathe that life into events, and into the world, is a huge, huge boost. And it makes a big difference to those people who're trying to get people to participate in things- it's a big boost to morale, and it makes us want to try so many more things, and more ambitious things, to boot. 

Tools are less important than presence, I feel, in summary.

I actually agree with this a lot. I don't think there is much of an issue of lacking tools, but having lore that is actually canon helps a lot to give credibility to ritualism and provide a starting place to players who are often very uncertain and uncomfortable about where to start. You often see players looking to class skills to find inspiration for that very reason, but there is not always much to draw from.