In Defense of my Emotes

Okay, so since my roleplaying struck a bad chord with some people, apparently, I feel I need to explain Xallax's nebulaic wings in depth.

First off, the symbolism behind the colors blue and purple. It actually has to do with Undertale Souls, so it's a little OOC, but if you look at it ICly, the colors go well with black and silver, which are the colors of his plumage. Blue is the Integrity Soul, and Purple is Perserverance. My headcanon is that combined, blue-violet is Honesty, which I personally feel fits Xallax well, as he is honest and straightforward about his opinions most of the time.

Now, looking at it mechanics wise, it only makes sense that Xallax, as a serpent, is able to perform this. The "Colours" ability in Subterfuge allows one to colour their arrows. The message for this ability is along the lines of, "[COLOR] light flows forth from your fingertips into your quiver of arrows". If you watch me carefully, I occasionally emote something similar with his wings, in order to keep the dye on them from fading away. It also has to do with Subterfuge Illusions, as he uses this to make the dye glow. The glowing effect also creates a trail, hence the dramatic effect produced whenever he takes off or lands. Thanks for reading.
Isn't it anime to scream "Ashaxei" every damn time you want to dramatically become a giant flying lizard?

Comments

• The light effects make me grind my teeth, as I am not only a nitpicky nerd but I am a nitpicky Subterfuge illusionist nerd, but as long as you don't expect me to engage with that specific aspect of your RP I'm happy to just RP with you and ignore it.

We haven't really interacted much, but just a note for the future. Keep on keeping on.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Minifie said:
    Gavriil RPs that he was a rose that became sentient from magical jizz.

Jonesey screams out banana and breeds with his children.

People make weaponry out of glass, marble, gold. . . Things that are really don't make for great weaponry.
    Your third point is really separate from your first two, since magic and divine stuff exist in Achaea where they wouldn't in the real world.  Still, Achaea's magic does have a set of limitations to it that establish its canon, and ignoring them has some implications in the credibility of your character and the things they do.

It's really hard to make use of your abilities for overly magical RP purposes through emotes, unless they're something you're absolutely sure are actually in your power, and the use of them isn't breaking other aspects of other peoples' characters.

Using illusion in emotes, for example, isn't really something you should do because abilities like lifevision exist.  If you are using illusions, canonically other characters with lifevision have the ability to see through your illusions. Emote-illusions are not illusion magic, so you are denying their character the opportunity to do that.  If you're going to use illusion powers in your emotes, consider using the illusion ability instead.  Canonically, you can weave whatever illusions you like, but others have the potential to see through them.

• Penwize said:
    Minifie said:
    Gavriil RPs that he was a rose that became sentient from magical jizz.

Jonesey screams out banana and breeds with his children.

People make weaponry out of glass, marble, gold. . . Things that are really don't make for great weaponry.
    Your third point is really separate from your first two, since magic and divine stuff exist in Achaea where they wouldn't in the real world.  Still, Achaea's magic does have a set of limitations to it that establish its canon, and ignoring them has some implications in the credibility of your character and the things they do.

It's really hard to make use of your abilities for overly magical RP purposes through emotes, unless they're something you're absolutely sure are actually in your power, and the use of them isn't breaking other aspects of other peoples' characters.

Using illusion in emotes, for example, isn't really something you should do because abilities like lifevision exist.  If you are using illusions, canonically other characters with lifevision have the ability to see through your illusions. Emote-illusions are not illusion magic, so you are denying their character the opportunity to do that.  If you're going to use illusion powers in your emotes, consider using the illusion ability instead.  Canonically, you can weave whatever illusions you like, but others have the potential to see through them.

I'm pretty sure I do that, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. If I don't, I'll make note to adjust them. I hate being seen as cringey on top of everything else.
    Isn't it anime to scream "Ashaxei" every damn time you want to dramatically become a giant flying lizard?
  • The other thing to note regarding illusions is that Subterfuge illusions have a really short duration. So the illusions have to be canonically recast every time those light trails manifest. That doesn't mean you can't do them, it just means you should be able to explain in character why you think it's worth your time to do that-- even if the answer is "because I think it looks fantastic".

That said, and I should have said this earlier, using Subterfuge Colours to dye your wings is a brilliant idea I wish I'd thought of.

• Oh right, that's a good point too isn't it? Illusions happen in an instant, even if they make something seem like it takes a long time, that long time happens instantly.  You wrote a whole thing about that IG didn't you, @Jiraishin?

So it wouldn't really make sense to have wings glowing permanently like that via illusion magic, but you could certainly make them glow for a moment. 

Dying stuff seems totally doable though.
  • You can't constantly use illusions like this. They are one time, short burst actions that dissipate immediately. They also take equilibrium to use every time.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Stop defending yourself. If you're confident in your rp just do it
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Pretty much with Archaeon on this. Defending it on a forum post is pointless. Just carry on and find people who don't really mind or can just ignore the aspect they disagree with, or stop altogether if somehow you change your mind. 

Personally, I am one of those who think that just because things function one way for the sake of combat balance, that doesnt mean thats how they always function whenever they are used in-universe, so I don't see anything wrong with getting a little creative with some things.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Penwize said:
    Oh right, that's a good point too isn't it? Illusions happen in an instant, even if they make something seem like it takes a long time, that long time happens instantly.  You wrote a whole thing about that IG didn't you, @Jiraishin?

So it wouldn't really make sense to have wings glowing permanently like that via illusion magic, but you could certainly make them glow for a moment. 

Dying stuff seems totally doable though.
    I did! I'm surprised you remember. 

• Shirszae said:
    Pretty much with Archaeon on this. Defending it on a forum post is pointless. Just carry on and find people who don't really mind or can just ignore the aspect they disagree with, or stop altogether if somehow you change your mind. 

Personally, I am one of those who think that just because things function one way for the sake of combat balance, that doesnt mean thats how they always function whenever they are used in-universe, so I don't see anything wrong with getting a little creative with some things.
    The ability functions the same way in or out of combat. You don't want weird emote long lasting room wide illusions becoming a real thing, opens up way too much room for special snowflake RP.

The actual coloring of wings is fine, for the record. Plenty of IC dyes you can RP even if someone thinks using the colors ability is sketchy.

• I'm pretty sure special snowflake RP is already a thing.
  • Vinzent said:
    I'm pretty sure special snowflake RP is already a thing.
    Same with plenty of "self-insert fan fiction" RP. I don't mind unorthodox usage of skills/emotes over everyone just being them but in fantasy land.
    edited November 2019
    Cooper said:
    Shirszae said:

The ability functions the same way in or out of combat. You don't want weird emote long lasting room wide illusions becoming a real thing, opens up way too much room for special snowflake RP.

The actual coloring of wings is fine, for the record. Plenty of IC dyes you can RP even if someone thinks using the colors ability is sketchy.
    That seems like a really wide and general statement, but I guess you can pick and choose who you can RP with. Just like everyone else. 

There's plenty of things that are possible with abilities in-universe that we don't see happening just because most are orientated around combat. 

• Achaea is a living, changing world.  With the exception of things that happen in beds, you don't really get to choose who you RP with. At most given moments you can either stumble upon or be stumbled upon by anyone.  A very big part of what gives Achaea's world the immersion it has, is our overall adherence to the canon the game has established.  The limitations it sets keep the world balanced and consistent.  Violating them can upset that balance and ruin that consistency.  That's a big reason these rules exist, and there's such a huge breadth of what's possible within them that honestly ... sticking with them is worth it.
  • What is allowed through customisations and artefacts would like a lot of words with you about "balanced and consistent". 
  • Minifie said:
    What is allowed through customisations and artefacts would like a lot of words with you about "balanced and consistent". 
    That is the entire reason customisations require approval.  They're only allowed if they don't violate the canon and break the world's rules.
  • Penwize said:
    Minifie said:
    What is allowed through customisations and artefacts would like a lot of words with you about "balanced and consistent". 
    That is the entire reason customisations require approval.  They're only allowed if they don't violate the canon and break the world's rules.
    Fragile glass bastard sword would like words with you.
  • edited November 2019
    Minifie said:
    This is not inconsistent, and you shouldn't ascribe real world properties to materials in a world filled with magic and Divine influence.  It's entirely possible a bastard sword made of glass has been reinforced via significant augmentation, some form of protection magic, or it is a type of glass forged in some otherworldly process. 

I suppose if it's just plain glass and none of the above applies, then yeah they'd likely deny it for that reason.  Still, things like stasis and augmentation exist, so via special processes extremely durable glass could be created canonically.  I'm pretty sure there are even a few examples in-game of exactly that happening.
  • Penwize said:
    Minifie said:
    This is not inconsistent, and you shouldn't ascribe real world properties to materials in a world filled with magic and Divine influence.  It's entirely possible a bastard sword made of glass has been reinforced via significant augmentation, some form of protection magic, or it is a type of glass forged in some otherworldly process. 

I suppose if it's just plain glass and none of the above applies, then yeah they'd likely deny it for that reason.  Still, things like stasis and augmentation exist, so via special processes extremely durable glass could be created canonically.  I'm pretty sure there are even a few examples in-game of exactly that happening.
    So uh, illusions are magic, so if they have lingering effects, then they'll have lingering effects. I'm not entirely sure why magic gets bought up to freely allow X but not Y. There's nothing in any file I can find that says illusions only last for a brief moment, or that they can only contain brief lapses of time. If glass weapons are a go, lingering illusions are too, arbitrary limitations on magic don't make a world immersive.
    edited November 2019
    @Penwize The canon is not whatever you or anyone else decides it is on a random forum post, though. None of us really have the last word or any manner of extensive idea on what is or not possible unless we explicitly ask the customization team while attempting to customize something or have actually tried to do something similar IG during a den-involved ritual, only to have it fail. And even if it fails, it doesn't mean it is entirely impossible, just that it needs a different approach, unless very explicitly stated.

So, yeah. I'd much rather people be creative and have fun over trying to police what I think is or not possible. Not to say some people don't go over the top sometimes, but in the end that is the price for freedom, much as it can be annoying in those cases.

• Minifie said:
    So uh, illusions are magic, so if they have lingering effects, then they'll have lingering effects. I'm not entirely sure why magic gets bought up to freely allow X but not Y. There's nothing in any file I can find that says illusions only last for a brief moment, or that they can only contain brief lapses of time. If glass weapons are a go, lingering illusions are too, arbitrary limitations on magic don't make a world immersive.
    Only certain types of illusions have lingering effects, and they're usually more involved illusions to create.  That's part of the whole deal of making sure the magic follows a certain set of rules and limitations to ensure it's consistent.  A lot of that can only really be proven in game, not via documentation, but it's pretty straightforward to arrive to those conclusions.  If you CONJURE ILLUSION A giant rabbit stomps into the room. and then try to probe the rabbit, it isn't there.  That's the idea behind standard conjured illusions being instantaneous.  More effort is required to go beyond that.

Khel said:

Modifying cloak (or ghost, which seems to work similarly!) to make something glow instead of hiding it seems entirely in keeping with the spirit of that school of illusion.

Cloak is a good example of illusion magic with persistent effects! There's a few of them in Subterfuge, and mimicking those certainly makes sense.  Changing what they do, though, is a lot more questionable because a guarantee that you can do x is not also a guarantee that you can do y.  Only x.  So cloaking, for example, is certainly possible.  Making something glow is very different than cloaking something, so cloak's existence doesn't really guarantee that.

Lightwall, however, might actually support the idea that you can make persistent glowing illusions.  You can't really colour lightwalls, but the flavour text from the colours ability certainly supports the idea you can produce different coloured light.  That does have a specific duration, as all of the illusion magic does, so it'd need to be renewed regularly.  Upkeep might become annoying.  Still, it does seem plausible from that perspective at least.
  • So then we agree, no real issue with the illusions in question! Glad that mess is all sorted out.
  • edited November 2019
    I've been told that the Achaea staff do not regulate character descriptions beyond their not breaking HELP LANGUAGE RULES and other such policies. In other words, you're perfectly permitted to have any description you want so long as it doesn't actively break the rules.

The rules for customisations take this a step further because they're effectively staff-approved lore at that point, not merely permitted but having official backing within the canon.

For example, it's officially canon that Lenn has a phantom scythe, but her own physical appearance is not canon (and Nicola's even told me it wouldn't be supported).
  • I got this charm. Aldar magicks. Sparkle sparkle.
  • I am blue Deadpool.

You do you, boo.  :3
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Vinzent said:
    I'm pretty sure special snowflake RP is already a thing.
    Wet snowflake