Discord Server/Channel For RP Help?

JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
edited November 2019 in The Scarlattan Theatre
I love to talk about anything related to roleplaying and have been discussing it quite a bit recently. In the process, this also brought to mind many comments I've gotten over the years about how people are interested in RPing more, doing more with their RP, but are scared of doing the wrong thing/unsure how/intimidated to try new things.

I was curious about whether or not there would be interest in a Discord server or channel for RP help. I'll preface it by saying that there's not really a right or wrong way to roleplay, and I am by no means the authority on roleplaying, but I love doing it and have been doing it for a long time. So if anyone thinks they'd just like a second opinion or some suggestions on things, I'm more than happy to do that. All would be welcome to join, of course, (including Achaea admin if they're so interested) and experienced roleplayers are of course more than welcome to also chime in with suggestions and critique as they come up.

If this were a dedicated Discord server, there might be channels such as the below:

1. #general - Ask your general questions about RP here. Is it ok to assume actions or responses when crafting an emote? Should I take into account atmospheric considerations like light, sound? How long should an emote be? Etc.

2. #session - I intended this for people who would want 'real-time' RP coaching. I haven't totally fleshed this out yet, but I might announce, say, a generic setting every fortnight or so where anyone can come and join in and try out some new RP approaches, and I'll be there in person giving suggestions and advice either through party, in tells or on the channel. 

For instance, I might say, ok, the theme this week is a typical night at the tavern. Or the theme is a ritual duel. It would be an event that would be open to everyone, and if you're interested, I will post instructions on how to show up ICly. Participants should, of course, understand that everyone is probably practicing and should be forgiving of any mistakes, emotes that don't work out etc. It'll be a good chance to see different approaches and potentially identify people to RP with as well. I understand there might be situations where people might want real-time coaching but might not want the IC association, but if that's the case we can probably work something out.

If people want to practice something in particular, there can also be something like themed exercises where I'll say, okay, let's focus on learning how to use expressiveness, or poses, or actions. But this might be embedded inside the session itself, so I'll say ok, this Friday night let's all show up at the Brass Lantern Inn and practice expressiveness. It would definitely not be a very structured thing and participants would still be free to roleplay as their character would, but if there was a demand to practice a particular aspect then I would know what to focus on to help.

3. #discussion - I was thinking about posting semi-regular discussions here, just for fun, or anyone else can also bring up an RP-related topic for general discussion. For instance, 'if your character could modify a body part, how would they do it and why?' or 'how do you channel emotion into your roleplaying?' or 'how do you prevent IC roleplaying from affecting you OOCly?' I think it's good practice to think about roleplaying as a deliberate activity and of your character as a separate entity rather than just an extension of yourself.

4. #events - Roleplay, of course, is more than just about emoting and using expressiveness in says. When you become a content creator, especially if you're trying to do interactive content, then it's important to take into account many factors that can enhance or detract from interactivity. If people want some help or suggestions with their events, they can ask generic questions here or approach me personally if they want to keep it secret. 

If it's preferred to just have a Discord channel on the main Achaea server instead, then the channel would probably be all of the above rolled into one, but probably with a stronger focus on general help.

I'm interested in seeing whether or not people would participate in/use such a resource. I want to stress beforehand that this would strictly be for roleplaying help only and long discussions about IC events would not be encouraged to minimise blurring of IC/OOC lines. There is already @Rom's Achaea Discord for that and I'd really like to keep this a focused resource. Talking about roleplaying experiences in other mediums would be fine.

This would also not be a resource for people who are needlessly judgmental or dismissive over others' attempts to roleplay and if I create this, I would be moderating this channel/server quite strictly. Putting in the effort to play a role is not always comfortable or easy and I want to encourage people to try new things, which they can't do if they're afraid of being judged for asking questions and making mistakes.

Anyway, those are my thoughts so far. Your responses are much appreciated and I'd also welcome thoughts on the above. 
If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Comments

• It's a really interesting concept but isn't RP for our characters best grown organically in the wild?  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited November 2019
    Torinn said:
    It's a really interesting concept but isn't RP for our characters best grown organically in the wild?  
    Yes, of course it is and to be clear, this is not meant to be like an RP classifieds ad kind of thing. Think of it as more like an RP workshop with practical classes. It's definitely designed for people who would like more help with enhancing or improving their roleplay, or maybe even looking for roleplay ideas, than for those looking for roleplay opportunities.

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I like this idea a lot lot lot and would 100% join a server like this.
  • Torinn said:
    It's a really interesting concept but isn't RP for our characters best grown organically in the wild?  
    I think the intent here isn't to grow your RP as a character, but grow your ablity to RP as that character. This is mainly going to be for the player to ask questions about how best to handle RP decisions, imo.

Like, best practices/suggestions isn't a bad thing!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    Looks like it's a pretty mixed bag of responses, which is fair enough!

I decided to go ahead and make the server anyway because why not right.

Anyone who's interested, here's the link: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

I'm going to be trying a bunch of different things and seeing if people like them, so if you're at all interested, feel free to join up and see how things go. If it's not for you, no worries, you can leave whenever you like.

See you there!

edited November 2019
    Just to clear things up, as some concerns have been brought up regarding the sessions idea in particular:

This is not by any means meant to be the focus of this server. It was only meant to give people an excuse to practice their RP in real-time if they wanted to, knowing that there is someone on hand to give real-time feedback. It is not meant to replace organically driven RP in any way.

If people feel uneasy with that, no problem, we don't have to do it at all or I may simply work things out with anyone who does want something like this in private.

I expect the bulk of the usage of this server to concentrate more heavily on RP questions and RP discussions, which I'm very much looking forward to. So if you enjoy talking about RP, do come and join us.

• I see the trolls taking over just to show what trash they are and fluff their tiny egos. It's a good idea, but I'll pass.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Mroxyl said:
    I see the trolls taking over just to show what trash they are and fluff their tiny egos. It's a good idea, but I'll pass.
    I thought about it for a few seconds but I decided that just this reaction was enough to satiate my bloodlust.  
  • edited November 2019
    Mroxyl said:
    I see the trolls taking over just to show what trash they are and fluff their tiny egos. It's a good idea, but I'll pass.
    Like Jurixe said, anyone that’s obnoxious or rude about things will be removed. The intent here is to give people a place to discuss things without judgement about it. Should give it a try before assuming!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    I'll be posting some of our discussion topics weekly so people have an idea of what we're talking about and can hop in the Discord if it happens to interest them that week.

Discussions topic this week:

When creating a character, how do you come up with their concept? E.g. do you choose a name first? Or a profession? Or a race, or a city? How do you shape them and their identity, at least in the beginning?

• I kinda feel like this takes away from the organic and spur of the momejt RP opportunities that could happen in game. Like.. someone who would normally just try some crazy thing IG can now say "wait no, let me do this on the discord where there are no consequences and let me see what happens". Not a fan, even if I do appreciate the spirit of this endeavour coming from a great place
    edited November 2019
    Aegoth said:
    I kinda feel like this takes away from the organic and spur of the momejt RP opportunities that could happen in game. Like.. someone who would normally just try some crazy thing IG can now say "wait no, let me do this on the discord where there are no consequences and let me see what happens". Not a fan, even if I do appreciate the spirit of this endeavour coming from a great place

I appreciate the feedback, but I confess I'm not quite sure where this impression comes from. Perhaps there was something I worded wrongly, but this is definitely not what the server is meant to do - it's not really meant to be a consequence-free testing ground for RP events. I think those currently in the server can attest to that.

If this is related to the #sessions issue, don't worry about it! It's removed for the present so there should no longer be any concerns there.

If it isn't, then let me try to clarify once more: this server is purely for people who enjoy talking about RP, and who have questions about it. For instance, here are some examples of the questions posed just tonight:

1. If I want to run a surprise event on a group, how do I space out the emotes so it's not too long that they feel they need to respond, but also not too rushed that they can't read anything?

2. How can I emote faster?

3. How do I make sure there aren't any conjugation issues when I use $person in an emote? (i.e. (As $person walks near,) waves hi.) [This would look weird from $person's perspective because they would read it as 'As you walks near, Emoter waves hi.']

This server is meant for two things only:

1. To help address functional and conceptual issues with roleplaying and running events

2. To be a place to discuss and talk about roleplaying in general (primarily in Achaea, but some questions will be more generic).

If I'm doing a poor job of explaining, I do encourage people to just pop in and see for yourself. No hard feelings if you leave at all!

• I think people are just only reading the title and not the explanation of what the server is actually for...
  • Zackery said:
    I think people are just only reading the title and not the explanation of what the server is actually for...
    I feel sorry for the people who think the Achaea Discord is for discussing Achaea. :kekw:

• Pyori said:
    Zackery said:
    I think people are just only reading the title and not the explanation of what the server is actually for...
    I feel sorry for the people who think the Achaea Discord is for discussing Achaea. :kekw:
    I also feel sorry for myself.
    Just so we're clear, I'm a girl.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Tashar said:
    Pyori said:
    Zackery said:
    I also feel sorry for myself.
    tl;dr
    Second discussion topic on the server:

Have you ever been OOCly affected by things that have happened in game, whether positively or negatively? Do you try to ensure there is some kind of separation between you the player and your character, and if so, how? 

Join us if you'd like to chime in or read other people's thoughts: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I appreciate this resource and welcome OOC talk about RP, like for me just getting bootstrapped and knowing like what makes sense and doesn't as a fresh character.  I do get the organic RP over time, but getting started fresh and introducing myself to others (house requirement) is filling me with anxiety, heh.
  • edited July 2020
    Hi @Kzir , welcome! 

https://discord.gg/7b4DZp

I think this link should work. Otherwise maybe @Jurixe can help!
    We're trialling something new on the Discord chat - player AMAs! This is where people can ask the featured player questions for 24 hours. It's Trey this week, so if you're interested, click on any of the Discord links above and come check out the fun.

Lyndee is doing a fantastic job as our latest ask me anything guest - I do encourage anyone interested to hop on to the Discord and come pick her brain.

I also welcome anyone who would, themselves, like to be an AMA guest. Regardless whether you've played Achaea for 20 years or if you just started last week, we all experience Achaea differently and understanding each other's perspectives is a great way to build a better community. If you're interested, just send me a message.