Our December Plans!

We're super excited to announce our next big game update, we'll be looking at an honours level quest for each city and a whole heap of content for ships and seafarers!

Most of this update will be geared at groups, especially the city specific content which will (we hope) help to inspire some bonding and cultural strengthening within our various factions in order to achieve some very special results. At sea we'll be creating a slew of quests just for ships, their captains, and their crew!

As a little teaser, enjoy this painting titled "The Pangolin's Picnic":

Depicted in masterful strokes of oil paint, an enchanting beach scene unfolds in detailed clarity upon this somewhat haggard canvas. Golden rays preside over lashings of blue sky and sunlit sea, placid waves lapping gently at shingle and shore. Arranged carefully upon the rolling sands, a swathe of sailcloth acts as a makeshift picnic blanket, playing host to a full grown pangolin whose curious eyes gleam as the beast proudly wears a misshapen pirate's hat. At one corner, a multicoloured dragonfly buzzes its wings from within a glass jar, while on the opposite end a weighing scales rests ungraciously on its side. All the while, fresh dates roast on a nearby spit, plumes of painted smoke wafting from the bold portrayal of a crackling cook-fire as the picnic's most honoured guest takes in the smell with obvious enthusiasm.

As mentioned in Announce news 5126, we're offering a bit of a story writing contest!

All the great quests in Achaea tell a story and our seafaring quests will do just the same, but if you have an idea for an exciting story that could play out over a quest at sea (by visiting various islands, defeating monsters, collecting treasures, and so much more), write it up and email it to me!

I'll be accepting submissions from now until November 9th and if we choose your story you'll earn 500 credits!

If you want to submit an entry please format in plain text with first the story and then a bulletpoint step of how the quest would progress.

Example quest:
* Visit Rhilas and learn about your battlerage abilities.
* Once you prove that you can use your battlerage, he asks you to defeat Pieranotzu, the dreaded rat beneath the newbie lands.
* Visit a ratman in any ofthe cities to learn about the giant rat and his burrow. Hmm, rats like cheese!
* Visit Blaan, he farms sheep in Lodi, and has some cheese.
* Find a burrow hole and place the cheese down, this is sure to lure a rat out.
* At midnight a rat appears, takes the cheese and darts back in, the entry to the burrow is now accessible.
* Head in to the burrow, kill the first wave of rats to open the way to the "throne room"
* Kill the rest of the rats until Pieranotzu gets angry enough to defend his subjects, and appears.
* Kill the king himself and take his corpse back to Rhilas!

Send these to nicola@achaea.com

One entry per person, please!

Comments

• Taryius said:
    Nicola said:
    We're super excited to announce our next big game update, we'll be looking at an honours level quest for each city

Step 1: Fall upon spike ×100 times
  • Asmodron said:
    Taryius said:
    Nicola said:
    We're super excited to announce our next big game update, we'll be looking at an honours level quest for each city

Step 1: Fall upon spike ×100 times
    Step 2: Wonder how you get past the Champion.

Step 3: DIE A WHOLE LOT.

Step 4: Duck.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Are there any requirements for the story @Nicola

And for the quest, should we make do with existing denizens or can we invent new ones?
  • Oceana said:
    Are there any requirements for the story @Nicola

And for the quest, should we make do with existing denizens or can we invent new ones?
    No particular requirements that aren't mentioned in the initial post, and existing or new denizens are fine.
  • Entry in, mine probably sucks but I had fun, love this kind of thing :)
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Entry just in. Just in time. :)
  • Submitted to nicola@achaea.com. :)
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sent something as well. We'll see how it goes!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I too channeled my inner Ictinus and submitted one!

i'm a rebel

• I didn't get a semi-colon  :'(
  • @Zackery Dang right we will. We'll even get there in one piece since I'll be driving. ;)
  • edited November 2019
    Jakiro; said:
    I didn't get a semi-colon  :'(
    Only real men get semi-colons. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • edited November 2019

Have you tried configuring your wilderness map off, and then back on again? @Ictinus

Thank you so much for the love to seafaring!!! You rock @Ictinus!

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • What happened? Did they do away with chops??
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• edited November 2019
    Ictinus said:
    The sea looks a little strange from where I'm sailing...

Dost thou find weed to undertake, before thou acts to navigate;
    A sea of commercial at lies before that,
    which you seek upon the briny deeps.
    Lo, but if thou dost see upon the sea,
    exponent operators before thee;
    ship shalt turn towards the stern
    for what this shanty shall incite,
    is that chops are utter gobshite.
  • Ictinus said:
    The sea looks a little strange from where I'm sailing...

Well this makes a lot of damned sense now :D
  • Yeah, that was a lot of fun, let's not do it again soon.
     I still dont get it... but wouldn't be the first time
  • Proficy said:
     I still dont get it... but wouldn't be the first time
    Jinsun did a voyage, ocean turned black with a large whirlpool (shown above) all ships not in harbour got summoned to the whirlpool, a kraken appeared and melted faces. 1000 or so shots later kraken dead. New honours for a few people and normal seas.
  • The scholar voyage from Thraasi needs some work. I got sent from Thraasi to Tenwat to Pirn to Sea Spirits Isle to Karbaz to Lothos to Einewaar then back to Thraasi. I used a galley because I thought there would be some combat which makes navigating terrible. It took almost 6 hours during which time the 2 people who I took on the voyage with me had absolutely nothing to do.

It was all the worst aspects of sailing for 6 hours and the reward was 1.7% at 115, 100k per person and 2 talisman pieces. I guess if I had of known I would of grabbed everyone around to accept the voyage then they could do whatever on the mainland, but it left a terrible taste in both my mouth and in the other two crew members, to the point where I don't really want to interact with the system at all for a while now.
  • How fast do voyages reset? I have one that required me to go shastaan to ilyrean to mysia and back. I just couldn't get it done in time and haven't checked to see if I can continue