The Tea and Fresh Cream Conundrum

Comments

• I am far from a dairy expert, but I think the issue is pasteurization. Today we have no problem putting cream in hot liquids because it's already pasteurized. Dairy products in Achaea would not be pasteurized, since pasteurization didn't really become a thing until the 1800s. Unpasteurized cream would get real funky in ~200F liquid. And sure, theoretically you could pasteurize milk in Achaea, but realistically you wouldn't, unless you want to RP out your character inventing food safety guidelines.
  • - 2019/10/04 04:40:26 - Nicola says, "Coffee doesn't use boiling water, it brews for a
    considerable time and longer than tea, and Achaea doesn't have coffee, we have kawhe. Also 
    creams on the market today are pretty much pasteurised (already exposed to high heat) and 
    very rarely full fat."
  • Fizzy lemonade also wasn't a thing until the 1800s.
  • Lenn said:
    Fizzy lemonade also wasn't a thing until the 1800s.

Sounds like ‘Murican propaganda. Everybody knows the original lemonade was Sierra Mist and it came out of an ancient oasis in the desert long before anybody knew how to make diluted juice from squeezing lemons.

• For your consideration: I have Uzbeikstani friends, and they put butter in tea.

Butter. In tea.

Let that soak in for a moment.

Then think about how the butter also soaks in to the tea (which they drink).

If you can put a slab of butter in your tea, you can certainly put some milk.
  • edited October 2019
    Zackery said:
    I am far from a dairy expert, but I think the issue is pasteurization. Today we have no problem putting cream in hot liquids because it's already pasteurized. Dairy products in Achaea would not be pasteurized, since pasteurization didn't really become a thing until the 1800s. Unpasteurized cream would get real funky in ~200F liquid. And sure, theoretically you could pasteurize milk in Achaea, but realistically you wouldn't, unless you want to RP out your character inventing food safety guidelines.
    That's not remotely true. Dairy protein is what curdles at high temperatures, ever tried melting cheese in a sauce that's too hot or accidentally letting milk or queso boil? It globs up and is nasty. Fresh raw cream is very low protein and very high butterfat. It would for sure make the top of the tea or coffee oily, but it wouldn't be funky or curdle at all. Fat-based liquid plus water-based liquid can make an emulsion, and higher temperatures make that happen more smoothly.  

Also every single food and beverage in Achaea is left sitting out for days on end and yet is still piping hot and fresh. Apparently food spoilage is just not a thing.  
  • edited October 2019
    Zackery said:
    I am far from a dairy expert, but I think the issue is pasteurization. Today we have no problem putting cream in hot liquids because it's already pasteurized. Dairy products in Achaea would not be pasteurized, since pasteurization didn't really become a thing until the 1800s. Unpasteurized cream would get real funky in ~200F liquid. And sure, theoretically you could pasteurize milk in Achaea, but realistically you wouldn't, unless you want to RP out your character inventing food safety guidelines.
    If we went on when things actually happened, then there is a lot of stuff in Achaea we shouldn't have.

The medieval time period, where Achaea is said to be set went from (roughly) 500 AD to 1500 AD.

Fermentation wasn't discovered until 1855.
    Bourbon was 1789.(ish)
    The first known usage of toddy was 1786.
    Mithril isn't even a thing, but the word wasn't invented until 1937.

I get why people want some consistency.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• Vhaith said:

Fermentation wasn't discovered until 1855.

This is not even close to true, beer is one of the oldest drinks known to us. With vague evidence dating back up to 10,000 years ago, and confirmed cases from a few thousands years ago. Distillation is more modern, but even then, dates back to 13th century.

But that aside, it really comes down to if the admin that build the world don't believe something fits into the technology/culture/whatever of the games setting, fantasy or historical (or both!) then thats just the way it is.
  • That'd be fine if they just admitted "that's how it works in Achaea," like how bras are totally out of place but Sarapis himself invented them or something like that.

It's when they say "we're just following standards" as a way to dodge any real responsibility that I have to roll my eyes, or when they defend it saying "medieval technology couldn't do that."

Maybe the cream was functionally pasteurized by a Mhaldorian magi to give it "strength" to later survive hot tea without curdling. We'll call it Mhaldorian cream tea.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    The inconsistency has been a constant during my entire time in Achaea, since 2005. What's most disappointing here is the lack of communication. I reached out in several ways (resubmitting the sketch, issue, direct message to Nicola, and here) and, aside from hearing alleged things that may or may not have been said in the UUC clan, no one from the administration has ever replied to me directly (minus the "this does not work for me" type comments in the rejection letters). Whatever the reason for the breakdown in communication, this is poor customer service.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I just keep thinking back to all the conversations over the years about realism in Achaea, and everyone bringing up that this was a fantasy environment where pretty much anything is possible, as a point against realism.

Now here we are  discussing what we can and can't put in our text-tea because it doesn't follow a certain realism based standard.

My how the turntables.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I don’t know why people want to put anything asides from water in their tea anyways.

Milk, sugar, and anything else is sacrilege.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    I don’t know why people want to put anything asides from water in their tea anyways.

Milk, sugar, and anything else is sacrilege.
    That's like saying lemonade should be fizzy.

• Tea/coffee is, and was always, meant to be drunk without any enhancements. Just pour and brew. Bam. All this "let me add X to my tea/coffee!" is ludibrious, and people who advocate for it are just sad, hopeless people who probably think that pineapple belongs on pizza
  • At least one admin likes pineapple pizza. Better watch yourself.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • That just means they need to re-evaluate their life choices. Admin can be wrong.
  • edited October 2019
    My thought is, just because whomever the reviewer is doesn't like it, shouldn't mean the design is rejected. If it's written appropriately to the guidelines, hold your nose, and approve it.

Physics are pretty irrelevant, as it's a fantasy world and they get ignored on a lot more things than if tea and cream will mix or not.
  • edited October 2019
    Aegoth said:
    That just means they need to re-evaluate their life choices. Admin can be wrong.
    Banana on pizza is better than pineapple. Both at the same time is good, too.
    Delicious.

• edited October 2019
    Mroxyl said:
    Physics are pretty irrelevant, as it's a fantasy world and they get ignored on a lot more things than if tea and cream will mix or not.
    They are actually quite relevant when it comes to tradeskill designs, as tradeskills are not magical crafts in Achaea.
  • Pineapple on pizza is amazing.
  • These people...  these are our future serial killers.  Pineapple..  pineapple and banana?!  And wtf is up with the ratio on that pizza. It isn't even balanced placement, nor proper coverage.  

• edited October 2019
    I enjoy making jokes about how awful I think pineapple and pizza sauce taste together. But on the other hand, I am seriously struggling to not go on some tangent arguing the nuances of topping proportion and placement variation and their benefits and drawbacks. 

conclusions: 

A. I care too much about food.

B. Making pizzas for two years in high school was maybe a mistake. File did not get wiped. 
  • That isn't inconsistent, the help file you quoted makes perfect sense and it feels like you're being intentionally obtuse about it.

• Cooper said:
    That isn't inconsistent, the help file you quoted makes perfect sense and it feels like you're being intentionally obtuse about it.
    Could somebody explain it then? It really doesn't make sense and I've got a solid grammar background. Using 'which' never means a constant in any way I've ever heard. "The ring, which has blue pearls, is pretty." According to the help scroll, that means that all rings have blue pearls? Wat? 

• The help file is definitely wrong about that vs. which.
  • just had a design rejected because it refers to ribbons as "tape" and therefore uses inappropriate materials. Guess what "tape" originally meant, before we invented sticky tape and ticker tape?
  • Anytus got back and said it's because red tape is a modern reference. A quick check would show that it's of the same vintage as rapiers, like bards use.
  • Jaksim said:
    Anytus got back and said it's because red tape is a modern reference. A quick check would show that it's of the same vintage as rapiers, like bards use.
    If the 15th/16th century is considered 'modern' then maybe, lol.