Shipfitting - Sail Types

Just a recommendation to have the option for a variety of different sail options for function, not just cosmetics. For instance, each ship would be able to support various sail/mast options based on ship size and type, using a point system.

Sail/Mast Types

SPEED SAILS: Increases overall speed by maximising the wind caught when sailing with the wind.  Takes penalties when trying to sail directly into the wind or tack through it.

HANDLING SAILS: Increases maneuverability by catching more wind in the sails from any direction, and being able to move moderately when sailing against the wind.

WEIGHT SAILS: Improves general speed and maneuverability for ships laden with cargo or cargo racks.

Ship Restrictions and Costs

These would be available in three sizes: Small (1pt), Medium (2pts), and Large (3pts). The ship type and size would determine what various sails and masts they could support.

WINDCUTTER: Support for up to 2 masts for a total of 3 points. Could support small sails, a combination of small and a medium, or 1 large sail of a single type or various types.

SEASTRIDER: Support for up to 3 masts for a total of 6 points, allowing for a maximum of 3 large masts of a single sail type or a combination.

WARGALLEY: Support for up to 5 large masts for a total of 15 points towards any combination of large sail types.

I also submitted this as an Idea, but just had a lot of details in relation to it so also posted it here for discussion.

Comments

• Cooper said:
    Or just remove chops and make sailing not take massive amounts of time.
    Cu, cu, can I get an “amen”??
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• I love @Kresslack's idea. 

Pssh chops are great, don't take away chops :(
  • I think chops make you learn to sail better, so wouldn't really like to see them removed, plus they make great landmarks when you're trying to figure out where you are.

I like @Kresslack's idea
  • I wouldn’t mind if ships were just faster in general though...