The Tea and Fresh Cream Conundrum

MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
edited September 2019 in General Questions
When I submitted my beverage sketch of "creamy citrus black tea," I had no idea that getting it approved would take so long. The letter I sent to Amarisse best sums it up best.

Dear Amarisse,

First, thank you so much for the speediness at which the Crafting Guild has been returning designs. For the most part, the comments to the designs returned to me have been helpful and offered me the opportunity to improve the overall design.

However, that brings me to the point of this missive. I submitted a beverage sketch for tea that uses fresh cream. Not everyone prefers tea with milk. Some use cream. Some even use butter! So, you can imagine my surprise when I received the following note, copied in full from the moment I unfurled the page to read in earnest...

>> The craft guild has returned your proposed sketch (enclosed in this letter) for further revisions. The following comments were made of the sketch:
>> CONCEPT: cream in tea does not work, milk in tea is fine, but cream is too high fat to mix well with hot water in this fashion.

This seems more of an opinion or matter of personal taste than an actual reason to reject the sketch. If you could look into the matter I would be much appreciative. I'm also including a copy of sketch406793 for your convenience.

Warmth and glitter,
Madelyne

This sheet of drafting paper bears the sketch of a proposed product.
Liquid type: tea Ingredient:  Method: steeping  Aged: NO  Designer: Madelyne
Generic:creamy citrus black tea
In Vessel:Steam wafts from the creamy, aromatic tea to lend a heady citrus scent to the air.First Drunk Ideal:The creamy black tea at first is light and delicate but quickly followed by the zesty flavours of orange, bergamot, and lemon. Swallowing the tea leaves a sweet aftertaste that hangs on your taste buds for several seconds.
Third Drunk Ideal:$+drinker raises $vessel to $drinker_his lips for a taste of the creamy black tea, the liquid wafting flavours of orange, bergamot, and lemon into the air.
Taste:This tea teases the taste buds with flavours of fresh cream and black tea, followed by the zesty sweetness of citrus fruits.
Smell:This tea scents the air with flavours of orange, bergamot, lemon, fresh cream, and black tea.
It has 144 months of usefulness left.
It weighs 0 ounce(s).
It bears the distinctive mark of The Delosian Crafting Council (a denizen).

At this time, I had forgotten that Amarisse no longer accepts letters via the Delosian messenger boy or otherwise, so I issued myself, as per the appropriate UUC news post.

Issue #86341 Reported by: Madelyne
2019/09/23 20:08:33:
I submitted sketch406793 (in my inventory), which is "creamy citrus black tea" and it was rejected for the following reason--CONCEPT: cream in tea does not work, milk in tea is fine, but cream is too high fat to mix well with hot water in this fashion.--Now, while this might be true in whatever IRL location the person looking at this sketch is from, I spent last weekend at a writers' conference where plenty of people put cream in their tea. There are also people who put butter in their tea. And salt in their coffee (to make it less bitter). There are also arguments that "cream goes in coffee not tea" which is dumb because if they're both steaming hot, then the argument is invalid. So... can I have my "creamy citrus black tea" smell and taste mention "fresh cream," please? Thank you!

Because the issue was not being addressed, I took a chance and resubmitted the sketch. Within due time, I received the following rejection notice. (This is copied and pasted directly, with typos.)

read 70842
You read what is written on an elegant white letter:
The craft guild has returned your proposed sketch (enclosed in this letter) for further revisions. The following comments were made of the sketch:

The problems remain the same with this design. Fresh and full fat cream in hot water drinks does not mix well. It should be noted that "creamer" is not cream, and nor is "half and half", both of these are proceessed and modern, designed to work with hot-water based drinks.

At this point, I messaged Nicola directly.

Message #3390 Sent by Madelyne
2019/9/26/21:59 (To Nicola): Hi, Nicola and apologies for resorting to messaging you but I've tried having the messenger in Delos send a letter to Amarisse and issuing myself (#86341) to no avail. Twice I've tried to submit a beverage sketch#406793 for "creamy citrus black tea." Both times it's come back with the concept that cream does not work in tea. The only place cream is mentioned on the sketch is in the smell and taste. Having grown up on a farm and being an author with friends who drink everything from butter and fresh cream to milk and artificially-flavored creamers in their tea, I know this is not only possible but also a reality for many. The concept notes are both snarky and opinionated. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance with this problem.
I'm not sure who's rejecting this sketch but again, it seems more personal opinion than fact as I've seen plenty of people put actual cream in their tea and drink it. Even if that wasn't the case, the "fresh cream" is only mentioned in the smell and taste. Having grown up on a microfarm, I know that fresh milk and fresh cream aren't that far off in smell and taste, so even if it was milk in the drink, it is possible for it to hold the scent of fresh cream.

I just want to put cream in my tea. If there was a logistical reason for the sketch being rejected that made sense, I'd adjust as needed and move forward with the altered sketch. But these "concept" reasons are blatant opinions that seem as if they're based on the reviewer's personal tastes and not that it's actually possible to put fresh cream in tea.

This from the same crafting guild folk that approved a skewer of slugbeast breast. (Betcha didn't even know slugbeasts had breasts, did you?)

Thank you for reading through all this and I welcome any non-opinion advice that doesn't involve me changing the sketch to help get it approved.

Comments

• East Frisian Tea, which is enjoyed in Germany, does in fact contain actual cream. It is not generally stirred, so as to allow the cream to mix naturally as you drink it, but it is full fat cream. Not creamer, and not half and half (whatever the heck that is).

Cream is also often had in coffees - full, fresh cream, again, not creamer or half and half. I work at a coffee shop, we serve this actual thing.

Just because you might not like it, you've never tried it, or it's not a thing where you live, doesn't mean it doesn't work or it's not possible.

Go get em, @Madelyne

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    With all the emphasis on things in Achaea being fashioned after British culture and mannerisms, this seems a bit odd. I pick on my British friend sometimes for ruining perfectly good tea by putting cream in it, but she swears by it. I was under the impression it was very commonplace in Britain. Isn't clotted cream typically used, traditionally?

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Kresslack said:
    With all the emphasis on things in Achaea being fashioned after British culture and mannerisms, this seems a bit odd. I pick on my British friend sometimes for ruining perfectly good tea by putting cream in it, but she swears by it. I was under the impression it was very commonplace in Britain. Isn't clotted cream typically used, traditionally?
    lol no
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    lol no
    lol rly?

• Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    lol no
    lol rly?
    Uh. That's not what you think.

In Britain, Cream Tea refers to a form of afternoon tea. The cream doesn't go in the tea, it goes in the scones.

Though cream in tea is still a thing in some parts of Britain.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

Vhaith said:
    Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    lol no
    lol rly?

In Britain, Cream Tea refers to a form of afternoon tea. The cream doesn't go in the tea, it goes in the scones.

Whoops, my bad.

• Kresslack said:
    Vhaith said:
    Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    lol no
    lol rly?

Whoops, my bad.
    You weren't to know! We can't know all things from all countries. Again, no fletching idea what half and half is.

• In Canada, at least, half and half is a 10% fat cream and milk liquid meant to be used in coffee. It's the standard 'coffee cream' where I live. However, they also make 5% ones, for those who are watching their cholesterol.

• Aegoth said:
    Coffee is to be drank black, with no cream or sugar. You're welcome
    That's called tar. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited September 2019
    Only to uneducated sloths
  • Thick, frothy cream is delicious every now and then. 
  • Vhaith said:
    Kresslack said:
    Vhaith said:
    Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    lol no
    lol rly?

Whoops, my bad.
    You weren't to know! We can't know all things from all countries. Again, no fletching idea what half and half is.
    It says it very clearly in the article he linked. He just didn't read it. 

@Vhaith
    half and half is half milk half cream.  it's gross.
  • Yeah I just poured a dollop of heavy cream in my morning coffee. It's delicious and perfectly mixed. Probably too heavy for a lot of people but I like it. Coffee is hot enough that the oil mixes fine. 

• Cream in tea? that is up there with people who think it is okay to put the milk in first. FILTHY UNEDUCATED PEASANTS! 
  • We had some cream left over today and guess where it went? Straight in the cup of tea my boss had. 

• My ex whinged about cream and tea, so I dunked her brewed tea into a bottle of cream and drank the whole thing. She didn't change her mind, but she did learn not to argue things that give me bad ideas. This story has no purpose, except to remind me how awful it tasted.
  • Minifie said: This story has no purpose, except to remind me how awful it tasted.
    One time when I was young I ate a Milkbone brand dog biscuit to see what all the excitement was about. It was a mistake that lasted through a couple serious tooth brushings.
  • MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Still no official response about why fresh cream isn't allowed. Cream and tea aren't mentioned in the updates to the crafting guidelines or beverages help scrolls, either.
    Madelyne said:
    Still no official response about why fresh cream isn't allowed. Cream and tea aren't mentioned in the updates to the crafting guidelines or beverages help scrolls, either.
    because it's fucking gross
  • I've never tried cream in my tea, but I do put milk in mine. Just a thought!
  • This whole thread is gross. 

• Archaeon said:
    Madelyne said:
    because it's fucking gross
    No Ur fucking face yo