Mudlet 2 and Crowdmap

2»

Comments

• Doesn't look like much indeed, just the system. Mm. I'll PM you some things to see if it's the system that's hiccuping you.
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    @Vadimuses that would be great, thank you so much for all the help!
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    Hello! I just wanted to add that I was previously having problems with Mudlet crashing when I entered the wilderness and subdivision and also when I pulled the vines to get up into Istarion. Updating to 2.1 was all I needed to do to solve it.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    I've never noticed the difference between Mudlet 2.0 and 2.1 because Ubuntu might have made me auto update it D:
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Which, in my opinion, is a pretty good thing for a casual user. Less fuss
  • Vadi, without something like ACP (which was much more primitive, but very helpful), and now Mudlet, with its mapper, and the SVO addon, the game is just way too intimidating for the casual user - most especially the adult, employed casual user who doesn't happen to work as a coder.  I wouldn't want that to change, because that's why the game is *amazing* and nearly limitless, but I am *sure* that Mudlet, and in particular its accessories, have had a huge impact on player retention, both new and old players.    
  • QwindorQwindor Fort Riley
    Ok guys the issue you are running into with crashing in the wilderness and such is your trying to use a new crowdmap format that the 2.0 version of mudlet cant use so its just outright crashing it for some reason when you enter those rooms. The way to fix it is update to mudlet 2.1 and then force download the new map which will overwrite the old one that malfunctioned. It seems that anyone who does this so far has no more issues.

When a new mapper script prompted to update yesterday, (after updating to 2.1 and going through Vadi's aforementioned fix) everything went wrong, aliases not working, the map utterly not recognising anything, and I had to rollback to Vadi's fix listed on the page before. I'm now just refusing to update my mapper script from the special download.

Also, since updating to 2.1 anything related to the map is really really laggy for me.
    I tried to window someone whilst sat down earlier, which fails, the "You must be standing to do that" message came back almost instantly. I stood up and did the same window, and Mudlet froze for eight seconds, the succesful window eventually coming through with mapper additions of room numbers. Goto <anywhere> and the rf <roomname> aliases really lag me as well, rf has taken almost 2 minutes on occasion.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • Hm which fix? You only update to 2.1 and don't do any fixes after - they have been incorporated. Aliases and everything should still work if you updated to 2.1 and that's it.

You do only have one mapper script installed and not many copies of it by chance?
    Only one mapper script and the "fix" I refer to was needing to download your map.dat linked previously and use it via Settings > Mapper > Load another map file in. Because the Mudlet 2.1 update didn't fix all the crashing issues with wilderness/subdivision/poker room entering.
  • Just ugprading to 2.1 would not fix the corrupted map you already have. Delete the map/ folder in your profile folder (that has the corrupted map, it happened because you updated crowdmap while not on 2.1) - then upgrade to 2.1, get a new one in and it'll be OK.

I haven't updated the mapper script in a bit now for it to be prompting with any updates.
    Logged off, deleted the map folder in my Achaea profile (the profile I use) was already using 2.1, started up mudlet and it prompted a new public map download, which did it's thing and loaded the map fine, which it had been doing anyway.
    Still freezes up for a few seconds -> minute when using goto <place> or rf <roomname> though.
  • Okay - so you shouldn't have any walking issues now, besides the apparently new speed problem. How much free ram does your computer have when Mudlet freezes like this, and does your disk icon on the computer blink when it does that?

As well as that, what number do you get from the following:

vlua watch = createStopWatch(); startStopWatch(watch); searchRoom("barren"); echo(stopStopWatch(watch))
    The code gives two numbers: 229 and 0.13.

As for free ram during, I'm not certain to check offhand, but I can badger someone who will know how to help me find out.

• The 0.13 is what is intended, 229 is what is not. I'm guessing your computer doesn't have enough memory, so it has to use the really slow disk to make space for some more, and that causes the slowdown.
    That 0.13 also isn't consistent. I've run that a few times over the last couple of hours, latest was a 2.534. 0.13 is the lowest it is.

• Right. I don't think it's something that Mudlet by itself is doing - if it can generate the 0.13, it will always be like that. The times it goes up are probably when your computer doesn't have enough RAM and has to use the slow disk to move things around, and that makes Mudlet have to wait as the computer does that.

It's why I mentioned to see if the disk icon on your actual computer lights up when it goes to this slowdown, that is most likely the issue, I suspect
    I don't know where the disk icon is, or even if this old thing has one, but I know how much ram this has, and lack of is a very real problem.
  • Somewhere on the tower will be a light besides a cylinder-like icon.