The future of the Pirates of Meropis?

Comments

• I love that everyone's suggestion is "use the gold that you and others accumulated (almost exclusively through org contracts because plundering is a joke) to make a cool place for us to play" some of you have worked against pirates and helped it die as an org and even gloated over its demise. You've taken enough from those of us who tried to give something more to the sea than auto hunting and fishing. We're not giving you a handout with our last breaths. If we or the admin make the hideout public, cool, but just handing in almost a decades worth of work because you finally got the non pk oceans you wanted? Nope.
  • edited August 2019
    We didn't get the no PK seas we were asking for. We (apparently) got Navies to be relevant again. And yes, gloating in-game is to be expected.

It's okay if you want to pocket whatever is left of the dissolution of the pirates. People here are just saying this would be a missed opportunity to give something meaningful to the game upon disbanding.

You are under no obligation to do anything meaningful with that, however. I mean, you could sit on a useless org's leadership for centuries and reap Honours Lines for it like some do.

• Org contracts? Like, "we'll pay you to leave us alone" contracts, or something else?
  • Lenn said:
    Org contracts? Like, "we'll pay you to leave us alone" contracts, or something else?
    There were a few different permutations were "here's some gold every few years to fuck off" and some were "we'll help you with training and other things if needed too." Some were families some were solo players and the really high dollar ones were houses.
  • Siduri said:
    We didn't get the no PK seas we were asking for. We (apparently) got Navies to be relevant again. And yes, gloating in-game is to be expected.

It's okay if you want to pocket whatever is left of the dissolution of the pirates. People here are just saying this would be a missed opportunity to give something meaningful to the game upon disbanding.

You are under no obligation to do anything meaningful with that, however. I mean, you could sit on a useless org's leadership for centuries and reap Honours Lines for it like some do.
    This.
  • We spent the last OOC decade dumping our personal gold and time in and I put most of the contracts and my own ransoms back so we could make custom items and things for the players who sought out the pirates and when I had active support I put some of the gold to those uses. I was trying to find was to use the frankly stupid amount of gold we had. I'm taking some time to focus on a move and some other things and I haven't heard back from the admin. I'll think on what meaningful is, but expending more effort on people who frankly have treated me like shit and what they would enjoy is just not sparking any feel good thoughts or ideas. Anything we do will likely not involve expending that large sum of gold to the benefit of all players. I offered the entire sum on a few occasions for things like no salvage fees anywhere or reduced salvage costs just to make all of this more fun for everyone and was pretty much laughed at for those ideas.
  • I should probably specify an ooc move.
  • Jinsun said:
    We spent the last OOC decade dumping our personal gold and time in and I put most of the contracts and my own ransoms back so we could make custom items and things for the players who sought out the pirates and when I had active support I put some of the gold to those uses. I was trying to find was to use the frankly stupid amount of gold we had. I'm taking some time to focus on a move and some other things and I haven't heard back from the admin. I'll think on what meaningful is, but expending more effort on people who frankly have treated me like shit and what they would enjoy is just not sparking any feel good thoughts or ideas. Anything we do will likely not involve expending that large sum of gold to the benefit of all players. I offered the entire sum on a few occasions for things like no salvage fees anywhere or reduced salvage costs just to make all of this more fun for everyone and was pretty much laughed at for those ideas.
    Yeah, it was to my understanding @Zulah put quite a bit of his personal money into PoM back in the day to get the ball rolling on it all. I might be wrong though?
    My vote is give it to someone else if you're fed up with it, let someone else take a shot. Shit, if he wants it, pass it back to Zulah. I don't see why it has to die with you just because you're tired of it is all I'm saying.
  • I'm not sure if it was personal ooc money or, you know, he was just a really good pirate and thief at the time. Remember, Zulah and the admin built Shipwreck Isle way before he had his current ridiculously well-paid job.
  • Zulah has repeatedly claimed to have won multiple billions of gold playing roulette anyway.

• That as well.
  • Actually the demise of Pirates means that the city navies can actually fight each other again, instead of banding together to stop a thief organization.
  • Morsul said:
    Actually the demise of Pirates means that the city navies can actually fight each other again, instead of banding together to stop a thief organization.
    For the past 6-7 years the most ships the pirates have had on the water was 1-2 at a time. Navies didn't need to band together over 1-2 ships. Navies are irrelevant because pirates exist. They're irrelevant because they're used to raise gold for cities instead of as military orgs. As admiral I was pretty much banned from attacking any ship that didn't attack me first. 
  • edited August 2019
    No one owns the PoM no matter how much money or time they spend on it. (Trust me on this)

I know there are people who currently want to be involved in the PoM. It was never a concept that sailed itself though. In the past it had to create its own stories and chase myths made up itself half the time. The excitement and fun came from the RP not the PvP. 

Granted FORCEBOARD was an option then which opened huge RP scenarios. I didn't play when forceboarding was removed but I understand why it was removed.
    The removal of forceboard killed most avenues for Pirate RP in Achaea.

Also worth pointing out, while Shipwreck is the only placed currently used, it isn't the only place PoM built.

You say in a soft, mesmerizing voice, "Keelhaul."
    A previously concealed opening in the northwest is briefly illuminated by a 
    strange light, and you quickly step through.

A dusty room.
    Dim light from a single oil lamp barely illuminates the walls of this room, 
    which appears to have been unused for some time. A plain table is pushed against
    one wall, accompanied by a pair of mismatched chairs, all of which are covered 
    by a thick layer of dust. A faint odour of mould permeates the chamber, and the 
    floor seems to move as spiders and small insects scurry across it.
    You see a single exit leading southeast.

There will always be parts of it in the land and scrolls providing nice easter eggs for historians.

• Zulah said:
    No one owns the PoM no matter how much money or time they spend on it. (Trust me on this)

I know there are people who currently want to be involved in the PoM. It was never a concept that sailed itself though. In the past it had to create its own stories and chase myths made up itself half the time. The excitement and fun came from the RP not the PvP. 

Granted FORCEBOARD was an option then which opened huge RP scenarios. I didn't play when forceboarding was removed but I understand why it was removed.

Also worth pointing out, while Shipwreck is the only placed currently used, it isn't the only place PoM built.

A dusty room.
    which appears to have been unused for some time. A plain table is pushed against

There will always be parts of it in the land and scrolls providing nice easter eggs for historians.

Man the loss of forceboarding was a gut punch. When we had it, we could have meaningful negotiations and talks. Without it, I've had maybe 2 people extend the plank and let me aboard to RP it out.
  • Jinsun said:
    Zulah said:

A dusty room.

Man the loss of forceboarding was a gut punch. When we had it, we could have meaningful negotiations and talks. Without it, I've had maybe 2 people extend the plank and let me aboard to RP it out.
    This sounds like a fun concept. I didn’t even know this was a thing. 
  • Tasus said:
    Jinsun said:
    Zulah said:

A dusty room.

Yeah it's clunky for RP though. You SHIP EXTEND PLANK once grappled then the person has to give you boarding perms. It's dangerous for both parties though. They could withdraw your perms and the swashies would attack and they could try and kill you, you could try to kill them. The excitement is fun and worth it imo, but for most people they stand to lose more if I'm aboard so I get not doing it
  • I stopped even trying to sail when forceboard died. Thanks for the memories @Kinilan

• Dunn said:
    I stopped even trying to sail when forceboard died. Thanks for the memories @Kinilan
    RIP
  • Jinsun said:
    Tasus said:
    Jinsun said:
    Zulah said:

A dusty room.

Yeah it's clunky for RP though. You SHIP EXTEND PLANK once grappled then the person has to give you boarding perms. It's dangerous for both parties though. They could withdraw your perms and the swashies would attack and they could try and kill you, you could try to kill them. The excitement is fun and worth it imo, but for most people they stand to lose more if I'm aboard so I get not doing it
    I feel like it’d open up some great RP. I’m definitely down for something like this. It could be fun. 
  • edited August 2019
    Out of curiousity, what if the other person refuses to grant the boarding perms, saying they're not interested in that? As it currently is, anyone who's interested in that experience could set it up with either their pirate or victim to go ahead with it if they can get grapples set.

The only person I've spoken with who's said they were forceboarded also said the pirate went out of their way to make it as bad an experience as possible, so not sure why most people would agree, if they're not interested in sea going conflict scenarios.
  • Mroxyl said:
    Out of curiousity, what if the other person refuses to grant the boarding perms, saying they're not interested in that? As it currently is, anyone who's interested in that experience could set it up with either their pirate or victim to go ahead with it if they can get grapples set.

The only person I've spoken with who's said they were forceboarded also said the pirate went out of their way to make it as bad an experience as possible, so not sure why most people would agree, if they're not interested in sea going conflict scenarios.
    The person has to agree. And yeah forceboarding can be awful
    if done wrong. Hirst was originally kicked out of pirates the first time for slaughtering a fully trained crew. That's kind of a baseline for pirates- don't just ruin someone's life for your fun
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    knee-jerk:

I haven't really read any of the other posts in this thread, I just wandered in on a whim recently, saw this title, and died a little inside.

Wtf happened?!

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Taraus said:
    knee-jerk:

I haven't really read any of the other posts in this thread, I just wandered in on a whim recently, saw this title, and died a little inside.

Wtf happened?!
    People cry, things get nerfed.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Nothing got nerfed. 

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Kresslack said:
    Nothing got nerfed. 
    ur mom got nerfed
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Archaeon said:
    Kresslack said:
    Nothing got nerfed. 
    ur mom got nerfed
    Yep, years ago. Hopefully she stays in the ground where she belongs. 

• D: Reading through this has made me so sad. The PoM has been such an interesting and integral part of my characters interactions. Jinsun has nearly convinced her on multiple occasions to be a pirate and honestly a big part of what held her back was the group hatred and how heavily people crap on pirates. But at the same time the IDEA of being a lawless swashbuckler is terribly appealing. I feel like if they hadn’t taken out forceboarding, there is no doubt Shimi would be a Pirate now... but the way ship combat works from what I’ve been in, is frustrating now.
    Also @Jinsun ! Forever greatful you returned half of what you plundered when I got caught moving someone else’s ship. I was seriously panicking until you gave back half. 
  • Organizational warfare at sea

Everyone of the 'good' side from all the cities and villages stop working together to swamp the PoM

we raid each other, why not sink each other too?

bring the life back to the PoM so people stop calling me a pirate for trying to instigate Org. warfare