Quick Questions

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    That's fine. I won't argue its not documented. Just mostly saying this is nothing that was just sprung two days ago on an unsuspecting populace. It's been like that for non literal ages and I find it hard to believe anyone who participates even cursorily in combat or even just delivering stuff to people had not noticed. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    I don't know how far back your definition of past goes bu this is nothing new. Has worked like this for at least two to three years at the very least. 
    Irrelevant - the vast majority of the game had no clue.

"It has been this way" is never, ever a legitimate reason for something to remain the same.

Falcons going through locked, closed doors - including stockrooms, temples, house halls, private housing, etc is game breaking.

Even assuming that I am 100% wrong - that falcon seek has been able to go inside through locked doors forever, and that shimmering orb was changed to stop retrieve and seek...none of that is listed in any help file, announce/classlead post, or AB file. So at the minimum we have piss poor record keeping that also needs changed.

I will restate, however: statements made on the forums/discord/issue responses cannot be things players are expected to know. This should ALL be in searchable help files. Announce posts are also terrible for keeping track of changes - not a reasonable expectation for every player to read and remember every announce post ever made, and keep track of the changes that were made to the same items and abilities over time.

• Shirszae said:
    That's fine. I won't argue its not documented. Just mostly saying this is nothing that was just sprung two days ago on an unsuspecting populace. It's been like that for non literal ages and I find it hard to believe anyone who participates even cursorily in combat or even just delivering stuff to people had not noticed. 
    I've been playing for 20 years, and this thread is the first time I'd ever heard of this. It is not recorded in any help file, announce post, or ab file. How are players supposed to know if they have never been robbed by a falcon in a stockroom, or no one has ever directly told them?

• Class switch runie
    Falcon-rob everyone
    Quit class
    Wtf?
    "What, Im not even a knight, duh. Probably a mistake like people getting killed by gold coins. Bug it?"

• Cooper said:
    Shirszae said:
    I've been playing for 20 years, and this thread is the first time I'd ever heard of this. It is not recorded in any help file, announce post, or ab file. How are players supposed to know if they have never been robbed by a falcon in a stockroom, or no one has ever directly told them?
    To be honest, that last sentence could be replaced with pretty much anything. We have so little knowledge from help and ab files about specific things that having to discover or communicate yourself is actively encouraged.

This is no big deal from a theft perspective  and hasn't been for years, the shimmering orb change recently was directly off the back of an Issue Krizal placed after some testing with myself. If you think a Runie is suddenly going to be a major threat to stock rooms and houses then you are mistaken. I'm not saying it shouldn't be looked at in a classlead but this is being blown out of proportion. A shimmering orb prevents it entirely, Falcons can only carry one item at once and those items are limited to things of a certain size. (And not grouped items I seem to recall, but might be hazy on my memory there)

This is not going to clear out stockrooms and anyone following basic security measures will never get caught out. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    It's not even about the minuscule theft potential for me so much as that it's a nonsensical change. Falcons shouldn't be able to magically fly through any closed door, locked or otherwise. So this now allows people who are in Temples, House estates, and even private homes to be spied on, which I do not think is a good idea.

Requiring a shimmering orb just like you require other sigils for safety is super game breaking yes. :unamused:

Temples already have super sigils, could extend that to prevent falcons off they wanted. The rest is perfectly fine. Stop living beneath a rock. 

edited July 2019
    You shouldn't need a shimmering orb on the floor of every indoor location you don't want a falcon to be able to glance. That's just ridiculous.

Shimmering orbs were designed specifically prevent use of the Appraise skill when trying to look into someone's inventory.

What about when you could falcon seek and track anyone on a ship, regardless of where they were? Nothing broken about that, I guess? Should it be changed back then?

• edited July 2019

Falcons can't listen in on conversations so I'm not sure what you think they are doing (spying-wise) that is game-breaking. Falcon glance is no different than veilglance, which also requires a shimmering orb to stop, so if you don't want people looking in your room, yes, you do always need an orb on the ground.

Falcon stockroom theft has been a thing for a long time, as well. I was surprised (as a non-shopkeeper) when I discovered it a while back, but asked Mak and he said the counter is shimmering orb, which all the shopkeepers in my city seemed to already know.

• Farrah said:

Falcons can't listen in on conversations so I'm not sure what you think they are doing (spying-wise) that is game-breaking. Falcon glance is no different than veilglance, which also requires a shimmering orb to stop, so if you don't want people looking in your room, yes, you do always need an orb on the ground.

Falcon stockroom theft has been a thing for a long time, as well. I was surprised (as a non-shopkeeper) when I discovered it a while back, but asked Mak and he said the counter is shimmering orb, which all the shopkeepers in my city seemed to already know.

Falcon stockroom theft hasn't been possible for a few months now
    Then at the very least it would be good to have the relevant skill descriptions updated to reflect these changes, which a lot of people still seem unaware of. Falcon Track still specifically says falcons can't track indoors (but they can). Orb of Concealment in Conjuration still specifically states the orb will conceal most of your inventory from others (nothing about being needed to stop non-Vision based skills). So it's easy to see how confusing that can be.

• Rhivona said:
    Farrah said:

That should be announced too!
  • edited July 2019
    Rhivona said:
    Farrah said:

Where is this announce or information located?

Kresslack just had an issue converted to a bug with a response of "working as intended" when he reported you can falcon seek and retrieve in stockrooms. Nicola also posted a non-response instead of clarifying. But according to your response it was not intended and changed. How can players possible wade through all this misinformation when it's coming from admin and issue responses?

I do not understand why admin responses are intentionally uninformative (and straight up wrong too frequently).

I love you guys, but your record keeping and change announcing had not been at an acceptable level.

tl;dr I called being able to falcon seek & retrieve in stockrooms a bug when it was talked about here, people freaked out and said it is intended to be able to be done and has always been this way...only for falcon retrieve in stockrooms to be a bug and have been fixed months ago.

•        

• edited July 2019
    Rhivona said:
    Farrah said:

You might want to double check that, given Keesslack had a falcon in the shop that was stopped by a shimmering orb. 

I also agree with Cooper about consistency. We are all acutely aware that a majority of the Admin and volunteers and we appreciate that immensley and with that comes an understanding that things might not always be perfect. But this js 2019, the number of collabaritve sharing / tracking tools are numerous. For this to be issued numerous times by numerous people in different places and have nothing other than announce posts for.us to track it seems counter productive. 

• Kresslack said:
    You shouldn't need a shimmering orb on the floor of every indoor location you don't want a falcon to be able to glance. That's just ridiculous.

Shimmering orbs were designed specifically prevent use of the Appraise skill when trying to look into someone's inventory.

What about when you could falcon seek and track anyone on a ship, regardless of where they were? Nothing broken about that, I guess? Should it be changed back then?
    You shouldn't need a monolith in every room if you don't want people.to break in, that just ridiculous.

See how daft that sounds? You have a perfectly good counter to.your problem, you're just annoyed with yourself for not knowing about it. Nice of you to bug this one though....

Also, orbs are being used more in raids now to stop XGlance seeing who is grouped up. There is more than one use for these, not just appraising 

Sobriquet said:
    Kresslack said:

You shouldn't need a monolith in every room if you don't want people.to break in, that just ridiculous.

See how daft that sounds? You have a perfectly good counter to.your problem, you're just annoyed with yourself for not knowing about it. Nice of you to bug this one though....

Also, orbs are being used more in raids now to stop XGlance seeing who is grouped up. There is more than one use for these, not just appraising 
    Unlike shimmering orbs, monolith sigils have always had that distinct purpose, as made clear by HELP SIGILS. I've also never seen a shimmering orb used in a raid. The only thing I'm annoyed about is the misinformation and lack of clarity regarding things like this. It's whatever though. I can agree to disagree because it's not about being "right" for me and having to resort to petty comments to get my point across. I was just trying to get clarification on what definitely seemed like a bug to me. Got that confirmation. Cheers. 

• Shimmering orb was used with crucible and miasma and my client blue screened. 
  • I wonder how many people think I've tried to steal from them when I forget to falcon recall for hours on end.
  • Davok said:
    I wonder how many people think I've tried to steal from them when I forget to falcon recall for hours on end.
    Uhhhhggg. Now I just remembered I forgot to falcon sanctuary before quiting again.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Numira said:
    Davok said:
    I wonder how many people think I've tried to steal from them when I forget to falcon recall for hours on end.
    Uhhhhggg. Now I just remembered I forgot to falcon sanctuary before quiting again.
    Pro tip: trigger qq to falcon hunt. 
  • Every time, I’m like “ I should do that” and then I don’t. There is at least 8.36 triggers/aliases/Messing with SVO type things that seem to go like that.
  • RyxRyx North of Northreach
    I don't care about mechanics of falcon theft, I just want to know the lore here. Are falcons master lockpickers, who then also kindly lock doors behind them? Do they squeeze beneath door cracks like sneaky rats, making sure to never lose so much as one feather? Do they ghost through the door? Create a wormhole through the door? Trick the stockroom owner to summon them because they're cute pets? Teleport behind them? Or maybe they become air elementals and turn into air? Lightning through the door, maybe? Or maybe they have giant magnets and slip everything underneath the door crack? Or hey, maybe the exact technique depends on the class or city of the falcon's owner.

The mystery continues. I would like to see people roleplay the exact falcon storeroom theft methods.
    They do it the same way 10 dragons can fit into a one-room building.

• We need a thread just for these sort of questions and explanations of Achaea logic. I need more of this.
  • Lenn can do at least half of these things and no one worries about her.
    Accipiter said:
    It seems to me that at some point doors changed from just normal doors to bathroom stall doors, has anyone checked the announce for that?
    Turns out there wasn't one!

• PainePaine Prime Material
    Accipiter said:
    It seems to me that at some point doors changed from just normal doors to bathroom stall doors, has anyone checked the announce for that?
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #4302 (03/28/2015 at 17:23)
    To : Everyone
    Subject: CONFIG AUTOOPENDOORS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a new config option: CONFIG AUTOOPENDOORS ON|OFF

This allows you to configure whether you will automatically attempt to unlock
    and open any doors in your way during normal movement.

Penned by My hand on the 6th of Daedalan, in the year 680 AF.

Is this what you mean?