Crafting Stage 2!

Comments

• For the names

Drinks - BrewMaster
    Artistry - Illustration
    Shipwright - ShipYard
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited July 2019
    Drinks: Bartending (mixology is limited to just making drinks, whereas bartenders also create an experience)

Skills: bar therapy - increases endurance regen to a target for 5 minutes, banter - increases will power regen to a target for 5 minutes, binge drinker - Increase friend and enemy list by 5 names

• Don't forget the names of the existing tradeskills refer to the action rather than the person. So like - Artistry, Drinkmaking, Shipbuilding. Only we are not building ships so.. more like Naval Engineering or Superstructure maybe? Nautical, Marine, Maritime... They're also all one word too, I think so Nautical Engineering or Nautical Supplies might not work?

I agree though that the names already picked out seem to be pretty apt to me. Although artistry encompasses a lot more than just painting. Out of curiosity, why not doing sculpting right now?
  • edited July 2019
    Soda Jerk.

Barista would be cool, but the Italian meaning so I know it won't be allowed :(.
  • Ship building: Nauticals

Drinks: Brewing

Arts: Aesthete

• Bottle is a must for beverages.

• The shipwhatever should make things to help diving. Since all the sturdy steel  chests can be opened without keys, maybe the shipwhatever can make keys so you can open the chests without waiting. Or pull the coral chests faster. Or even a stinky fish repellent to make the tuna and stuff not aggressive fo a while. Or an attachment for diving bells to make them raise and lower faster. Anything to give diving some love would be awesome. 

Hopefully whatever is decided on actually has potential for shipwhatevers to make profit.
  • Mixology is a good one for the drink making skill. Part of this skill can be comprised of a distilling and brewing skills for making alcoholic beverages and juicing for, well juices.
    Artistry skill? The name is already good. 
    Shipwrightery for the ship making skill? Already got ye names fellas!
  • I don't have any name ideas that've not been suggested but the ability to set something or have something be set randomly to your muse or inspiration once a month or would be pretty neat. Not sure what benefits it might confer but perhaps reduced comms costs or something for pieces concerning that subject. Would be a cool sort of writing prompt thing.
  • Drink Maker:
    Title Suggestion:  Blender
    Reason: Many of the good names imply alcohol (brewer, shiner, mixologist, etc) however you stated non-alcohol desires as well.  A Barista could make many different flavors of kawhe, which would be more popular that the nice teas we have now.  BLENDER could serve as title to  both BREWER and BARISTA.

Shipwright:
    Title Suggestion: Boatswain
    Reason/Suggestions:  A boatswain is in charge of ship equipment and crew. This role could customize ship equipment, and crew.  I believe a tradeskill should benefit the entire community, rather than being something someone learns simply for their own benefit.  A Boatswain therefore, should have to be trans on their seafaring skills before being able to pick up the skill.  This would ensure that not everyone takes up this skill, before knowing about ships, and also means you can therefore make it a tad more... 'desirable'. If you wish. OR, if you truly want to foster community, (and this may be unpopular) make it impossible to be both ship captain AND boatswain.  If so, you'd want to strongly consider the 'makes deals for the captain' below. This would inspire greater community.

Suggestions for what a Boatswain could do:
    - enhance the capacity of bait tanks by 50
    - exhort the crew to higher rowing speeds, enhance ship speed slightly (when present) thus making them valuable in races and also encourage captains to bring boatswains aboard.
    - carve figureheads to custom designs and shapes (like furniture making)
    - embroider sails with designs (much like flag making)
    - trim the hull and rudder to increase turning responsiveness
    - customize ship ammo to increase weapon impact
    - command crew to congregate in various rooms (send all crew and shipmates to a specific room and have them stay there... the ability to move crew around to less, popular rooms would be a nice boon for many)
    - move ship weapons without the gold cost.. AND/OR without being in port.
    - make deals for their captain - ie. a ship captain with a boatswain on board could have his boatswain go accept a trade deal. Ie. I'm parked at Tasurke, but the trade deal I forgot to pick up is in Thraasi, send my boatswain on foot to accept the deal.  (this would make them very useful and popular, and fewer ships would be crewed solo).
    - pickup cargo for their captain - ability to trade cargo on foot to any port that the ship is anchored near. (ie, the captain doesn't have to dock to send is boatswain)  This will make trade deals more appealing.

the ideas are endless here.  If you were to truly pair a boatswain with a captain, it could be a popular pairing if such benefits were possible.

-Rane

• beverages, potables, (beverage) formulation
  • Some name ideas:

Drink making: imbibery
    Artist: aesthetist (aesthetics in general to incorporate artistry in a very broad sense). Or impressionist (by leaving an impression on any kind of surface). Or simply Artisan
    Shipright: navalcraft

For artist media: some may have already been mentioned but charcoal, pastels (oil & dry), inks, watercolour, gouache, tempera, oil paint, enamel, encaustic (wax/resin), acid (for etching, namely for metals).

For artist medium types (surfaces): canvas (linen, velvet, silk, cotton), wood panels (with various wood types), metals (various types), vellum (potentially various grades/animal sources), parchment (various types/ animal and/or fibre sources), paper (various tree/fibre sources), papyrus, plaster/stone wall (for fresco/mural work), lacquer, pottery/ceramics.

There's also a number of implements/tools that can be utilised - brushes (various qualities), quills, spatulas etc but that might be complicating things.
  • edited July 2019
    For skills within the drink making craft, I'd especially like to see tea and kawhe blending and crafting custom juices. I'm a big fan of the various alcoholic possibilities, but not every character drinks.

For the shipwright craft:
    Title: Shipfitting  I would suggest this, as you're not designing or crafting a ship from nothing, but you are improving and altering existing ship items.

Skills:

1. Altering sail types and colors. If you want a gaff rig on your windcutter, or your seastrider to be set up as a sloop, the shipfitter is your go to. Wanting a custom color to set it off, same thing. I would suggest not giving the ability to add a motif or multiple colors onto the sails, reserving that for a credit sale under staff scrutiny.

2. Extending the decay period of items gotten through a ship trade for the unmarked crate. Is that old capstan a bit crooked and squealing after years of hard service? Call your shipfitter to straighten it out. 

3. Alterations to ship equipment, both purchased directly such as bait tanks or ballistas, and those gotten through ship trades. Want a magnificent teak bait tank, and your onager to be properly crafted of ironwood or mahogany? A shipfitter should be called. I'd suggest here a list to work from, rather than full custom descriptions, and possibly a list of adjectives that could be used. Something similar to what a carpenter can use is what comes to mind.

4. Ability to boost rowing speed by 1 knot over standard, due to skill in making sure the oars are perfectly crafted and properly placed for maximum effect. 

5. Ability to boost sailing speed by 1 knot over standard, due to skill in setting up rigging.

6. At transcendant, the ability to move fixed ship equipment, such as diving bells or weapons, between ships. This would require captain perms for both ships,  the ships would have to be in the same harbour, the shipfitter would need to initiate it from the originating vessel and then accept it on the destination vessel as he boards to ensure it's properly placed, and a definite gold payment to the harbour master.  There could be a chance for the odd bit of skullduggery here for the unscrupulous shipfitter, but that's why you maintain tight control over who's allowed to captain your ships.

7. At or near transcendant, the ability to increase maximum cabin size for a ship by 1 space, for those who wish to make their homes at sea.

8. The ability to increase hold capacity by 25 percent, due to increasing the efficiency of the layout and equipment.

As a note, 4 and 5 would be one time things that could not be stacked. You can get one knot from the rowers and one from the sails, but not four from rowing. You don't get to have multiple shipfitters boost your ship to ludicrous speed, as there's no going plaid on Sapience.

• Concoction - a general term for any prepared liquid. It would be cool to have more exotic vessels such as hollowed out fruit and coconuts, and I'm sure the Mhaldorians would appreciate including the skulls of their enemies

Seems to me that we're talking less about a shipbuilder and more about a ship's carpenter - shipwright seems to be the best fit for all definitions. Faster repairs would be a good low-level skill, or even immediate repairs at an endurance cost. At higher levels, maybe installing sponsons to allow more weapons on the ship? Rather than having a weapon in a room, you BUILD SPONSONS, then your weapon operators ENTER SPONSON PORT/STARBOARD. Only one person in a sponson, able to operate the weapon and fish, would let you double weight of fire on a ship.

• The Drinks Maker - Potations

The Artist - Pictorialization

The Shipwright - Steam Bending
  • Note to the minority: if you can't contribute meaningfully to the conversation, don't bother commenting here.

We're loving all the ideas and suggestions the rest of you are making, keep it up!
  • The DrinksMaker = Brewcrafting or Brewmastery
    The Artist = Aesthetics
    The Shipwright = Seacraft
  • Some drink containers: bottle, canteen, cup, decanter, drink, flagon, flask, glass, mug, skin

Some larger containers: barrel, cask, jug, pitcher, kettle

It might be way beyond the scope of the skill, but it'd be cool if there was a way to make drinks that go in one container and can be poured into another, eg. serving tea in a tea kettle from which could be poured into tea cups.

I'll leave alcohols to others, but for some generally non-alcoholic drinks (not that they have to be): juice, kawhe, milk (also milk shakes and other milk-based beverages), tea.

Also maybe something like chocolate for hot chocolate and similar varieties?
  • Also fermented non alcoholic drinks - similar to kombucha, juices can be fermented to be tangy or fizzy... I mention it because there's already fizzy lemonade in Cyrene, and maybe there's other exotic things people could come up with.
  • Shipwright - Shipping?
    ;)

• What we really need is more use of mining comms and less use of commshop only comms.
  • Shipwright really is the best name for it.
    Some more ideas for it:
    Make, like a bait tank, but for dragon's tears. Still requires you to buy them or have the artie vat but give you a tank to fill up like the way ammo is stored now so that it can be seamlessly used anywhere on the ship.

In conjunction for allowing more ship customization you should also add in a function to lock a ship so that it is not sellable. Require the ship to be in Thrassi or Tasur'ke and have a command that costs 50,000/100,000gp to 'lock' the ship so it can't be sold to someone else. This would allow the owner to set items to reset to the various rooms on the ship instead of being forced to only have things reset to the cabin expansion.
    Then when you want to sell the ship you have to remove all the resetting items and have them reset elsewhere. Once that is done from Thraasi or Tasur'ke again you pay the 50k/100k fee to have it marked as sellable again which would require an admin/volunteer to double check that no artefacts are set to reset to the ship . The gold fee for setting and unsetting the flag is to offset the admin time from having to do the checking but allows for ship owners to customize (read: spend more gold/credits) on their ships.
  • Morthif said:
    Shipwright really is the best name for it.
    Some more ideas for it:
    Make, like a bait tank, but for dragon's tears. Still requires you to buy them or have the artie vat but give you a tank to fill up like the way ammo is stored now so that it can be seamlessly used anywhere on the ship.

In conjunction for allowing more ship customization you should also add in a function to lock a ship so that it is not sellable. Require the ship to be in Thrassi or Tasur'ke and have a command that costs 50,000/100,000gp to 'lock' the ship so it can't be sold to someone else. This would allow the owner to set items to reset to the various rooms on the ship instead of being forced to only have things reset to the cabin expansion.
    Then when you want to sell the ship you have to remove all the resetting items and have them reset elsewhere. Once that is done from Thraasi or Tasur'ke again you pay the 50k/100k fee to have it marked as sellable again which would require an admin/volunteer to double check that no artefacts are set to reset to the ship . The gold fee for setting and unsetting the flag is to offset the admin time from having to do the checking but allows for ship owners to customize (read: spend more gold/credits) on their ships.
    Since when can you not make items resetting to ship decks outside the cabin expansion? I've done that a couple times. 
  • Would like to second Tesha and whoever else on coloring books. Also second Devasha on milkshakes. These people get it. 

I kinda feel like shipwrighting and Artistry are good enough names.  

could artistry include the ability to make fun greeting cards, like for birthdays and festivals and stuff? Bonus points if they can have a react to OPEN CARD... cause I really want those obnoxious singing cards to be a thing. If they are not already.
  • Laedha said:
    Morthif said:
    Shipwright really is the best name for it.
    Some more ideas for it:

Since when can you not make items resetting to ship decks outside the cabin expansion? I've done that a couple times. 
    Maybe you can't make artefacts reset to the deck then? Paging Dr. @Nicola
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Shipwright option:

Boatswain- I wondered at first if a skill needed to be a verb or an action, but Deckhand is a skill technically.

Bartender:

Publican?

Artist-
    Muralist so it covers tapestries and paintings?
  • Jinsun said:

Artist-
    Muralist so it covers tapestries and paintings?
    Doesn’t a mural have to be on a wall by definition? I am no linguist but I know “mur” is French for wall so was pretty sure that was where it came from.

I think Artistry or Illustration would be the more inclusive terms as far as base and medium.