The World Fair!!!

Comments

• I wouldn't have done that if I thought the next part was going to happen. I figured I'd just use my bugle and they could bring him back and he could hate me and Mhaldor, peopled could get a bit riled up and raid Mhaldor or something, and we'd all have a good laugh.

I'm sorry, I didn't know it would go that way.

• RyxRyx North of Northreach
    Thankfully, the child is now back!
  • Hmm...I did draw death and hangedman for his fortune....but who would ever want to tell a child such..
  • Could someone post the log of the lecture for those not there please?
  • Asmodron said:
    Could someone post the log of the lecture for those not there please?
    Which?
  • edited July 2019
    Skye said:
    Okay so... I think we can hands down agree that Professor Alnbeine's lecture was the most fun and engaging we've had. Well done keeping it to the last couple of showcases as the event winds down.

We also very much want to do it again because I've never seen a playerbase this responsive in a long time.

(I'm still laughing)
    It was amazing, but I don't know... I really enjoyed several of the showcases, both players' and admins', and I'd be hard pressed to say which was the most fun. (There were also a couple boring ones, but I won't say which.)

Would LOVE to have some more of Professor's lectures for sure, though!
  • Cailin said:
    Asmodron said:
    Could someone post the log of the lecture for those not there please?
    Which?
    The Tash'la one preferably but all would be great
  • I really hope Dynas returns to tell us who was the best moirah wrangler! So curious!
  • The tash'la lecture was ruined by everyone turning into adolescence students trying to out emote each other. It was infuriating. It's the only showcase I've been too and reminded me why I ignored the others. The admin are great, the player base is annoyingly predictably annoying. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Sobriquet said:
    The tash'la lecture was ruined by everyone turning into adolescence students trying to out emote each other. It was infuriating. It's the only showcase I've been too and reminded me why I ignored the others. The admin are great, the player base is annoyingly predictably annoying. 

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited July 2019
    Ashtan's showcase (Part 1 - Sorry for the lengthy post, could not make spoilers work quite right!):

Beneath a great canopy
    Swelling upward toward the sky, a lavish tent of stunning pale gold and iron-hued fabric rises to an apex overheard. The stripes upon its canvas swirl outward in mimicry of flailing tentacles. Silken banners of striated purple and black bearing the seal of the Seat of Chaos drape proudly from this great canopy. Rows of figurines depicting the Chaos Court encircle the periphery inside along a mahogany rail that breaks open at the flap to allow passage to the interior. Positioned in a place of honour upon a grand basalt dais, a turbulent painting is a prestigious sight to behold. Hammered into the ground, pitted iron stakes secure the tent's footprint.

Proprietor: Virtimnabulus Claq.
    --------(Item)------(Description)------------------------------(Stock)--(Price)
             mask101441 a strangely distorted mask                     50    1800gp
             torc498912 a broken iron torc                             20    8000gp
           burger499840 a grandiose burger                             50    1200gp
           cookie500936 a sugar cookie depicting a black rider         50     150gp
         bracelet515816 a chaotic charm bracelet of Ashtani pride      50    1500gp

You see Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum shout, "Following this showcase, the final showcase of the Fair will take place, an unexpected, last minute addition to the calendar!"

Mathonwy says to a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child, "It's good you didn't get bored to sleep by that professor."

A smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child says, "I almost did but then he talked about devourers."

Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum finds herself a quiet corner of the tent and settles into a comfortable position, legs crossed and eyes trained on Mathonwy.

A smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child says, "Oh! Okay."

Cooper slips behind a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child and garrotes him with his whip.
    Cooper has scored an ANNIHILATINGLY POWERFUL CRITICAL hit!
    A smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child has been slain by Cooper.
    A caramel-dipped apple coated in almonds tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A wooden skewer of pineapple-stuffed rambutans tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A jelly-topped mango mousse cake tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A decadent plate of golden sovereign cookies tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A cup of kawhe ice cream with chocolate drizzle tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A loaf of darkbrew bread tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A harlequin wedding cake with a reluctant groom tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A plate containing a slice of lemon meringue pie tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A driftwood platter of candied blueberry tartlets tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A plate of poultry stew with saffron couscous tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A toasted chocolate sandwich tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A rare venison steak tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A plate of chocolate fondant and vanilla ice cream tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    Cotton candy on a stick tumbles out of the corpse of a smartly-dressed, tiny halfling child.
    A tiny pile of sovereigns spills from the corpse.

Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum points accusingly at Cooper.

Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum exclaims, "OUT!"

Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum says, "OUT OF MY FAIR AT ONCE."

Cooper smirks.

Cooper leaves to the southwest.

Mathonwy pauses a moment, staring at nothing in particular to gather his thoughts.

Mathonwy motions for silence.

Mathonwy says, "I'm certain the child will be back, given enough time."

Mathonwy moves before a turbulent painting titled "To Victory", gazing at it for a moment before he turns to face the crowd.

Holocaust Prince Taryius Lichlord, Preceptor of the Devout says in a harsh, rasping voice, "Evil comes for all, the young and innocent are no exception."

Nissa, the Head Archivist of the Lucretian Athenaeum says, "Perhaps the next time I host an event about peace and culture I will not extend the courtesy to those who clearly lack sense of either."

Truax frowns and whispers to Taryius in a soft-spoken voice, "Your showcase ended months ago. Do be respectful of ours."

Mathonwy says formally, "Friends, fellow Ashtani, guests of honour, thank you all for joining."

Mathonwy says, "I'd like to start by acknowledging that we have seen many a performance, from the great to the ordinary, the impressive to the mundane, over the course of this World's Fair. To be counted among the speakers of this place is a prestige none should forget any time soon, for truly, to be afforded this place of privilege is a crowning achievement."

Mathonwy says, "But the portrait of our world is, as of yet, incomplete. We have fleshed out a great many details, we have taken in so many spectacles, but the story of the city in whose shadow we practically loom remains, as of yet, unspoken."

Mathonwy waits, hands clasped before him, until the echo of his words dies down, before stepping away from the portrait and moving closer to the audience.

Mathonwy says, "In a world of long and looming memories, Ashtan's presence reaches back even further still. Predating the fall and rise of old Seleucar, both, what stands now as the Seat of Chaos began, originally, as a venture for the lovesick Glanos."

Mathonwy says, "His relationship with his dear friend and brother, Sahart, having been irreparably damaged, the twin sons of Carme departed noble Ceylon, each to find his own destiny."

Mathonwy says, "That destiny would come to outlast and overshadow both of the brothers. In time, the village Glanos founded came to become a great city, a Bastion of iron and stone. In time, that city would stretch on, a beacon for culture and expression the world over."

Mathonwy says, "And in time, these twin cities would meet, having heard only urgent whisperings of the others. The feud that came to define Glanos and Sahart, the feud that came to spark Ashtan and Shallam, would grow to inflame passions, and several cycles of war would follow."

Mathonwy gestures west, toward the city, as he speaks.

Mathonwy says, "Through these cycles of war, the sacrifices of people like Travian Shea, and the noble leadership of Zarathustra, among others, Ashtan would become known as a city that valued the right of self-determination among all other values."

Mathonwy says theatrically, "The city became known as a place where the strong and weak alike could arrive, be they nameless peasants or established merchants, and under the aegis of Ashtan, pursue the life they had desired but could not find elsewhere. The strong yet slow protected the nebbish but brilliant. The idealistic inspired the cunning. Each and every citizen had a place in Ashtan."

Mathonwy says wryly, "Even if it was to serve as a parable of what not to do."

Mathonwy's eyes gaze briefly toward the spot where the halfling child once sat.

Mathonwy says quietly, "Together, the city grew, its coffers and its reputation alike. Together, the myraid perspectives and staggeringly deep pool of knowledge allowed the city and its denizens to fulfill their talents and purposes, to become what they'd always wanted to be."

Mathonwy says, "And as it accumulated both esteem and wealth, there arrived time and again those before the Black Gates of Ashtan those who would claim this jewel for their own crowns."

Mathonwy pauses a moment, staring at nothing in particular to gather his thoughts.

Mathonwy says deliberately, "I am here to tell you of the most important of those times, the last time, the time when Ashtan came closest to losing what the principle it valued the most: that ability to transcend the identity you were carelessly handed at birth in favour of one you forged in the depths of adversity and inspiration itself."

Mathonwy says firmly, "A right to become what you want to become, provided you have the strength of will to enact your vision."

Mathonwy snaps his fingers, and around you, the lights dim considerably.

And then, darkness.

From the inky black, there emerges an irridescent sheen, covering the entirety of the floor. A riot of kaleidoscopic colour radiates outward from Mathonwy's feet, spreading until it reaches the furthest stretches of the tent.

Mathonwy says quietly, "A corner of Creation, just after the end of the Chaos Wars. For his crimes, Pazuzu, Slith, and their undead legions were banished here, and when Ayar dispersed Entropy and Discord, this place received most of that, as well."

As your eyes adjust to the surroundings, you see not the audience of the World's Fair, but the winged demons and undead legion veterans of the Chaos Wars.

You feel something brush by your feet, and as the irridescent shimmer ripples and changes, so too do you notice something new within the pools of colour.

Slowly, uncertainly, from the substance emerges a hand, clinging to your leg as if to steady and support itself.

One of the demons, a winged bear-like creature with six eyes spread evenly along his face, lashes out with ferocious strength and blinding speed at the arm trying to steady itself upon his leg, and the creature falls back within the rippling colour, dissipating as it does so.

As they ascend from the depths, you catch glimpses, occasionally, of these creatures: some appear to be quite human but with the stray tentacle or extra eye, others considerably less so. Here and there, the occasional demon or undead legion lowers its weapon, observing these creatures with more curiosity than disdain.

The screams and grunts of the chaos thralls reach a crescendo as the vanquished demons and undead legions cut through a wall of meat. Yet, for every one they cut down, two more seem to emerge.
    -
    The vision fades, to be replaced with the tent once more.

Mathonwy says, "From this Second Chaos War, there emerged a number of thralls, as well as sympathetic demons or legions, that we collectively call the Chaos Lords. Of all the Lords, none were as powerful as Glaaki and Golgotha. Pazuzu and Slith, realising the power of the former, banished him between time and space. But they did not see the threat that Golgotha posed to them."

Mathonwy says, "By all accounts, Golgotha was a cruel and mercurial ruler. Succeeding in banishing Slith, Pazuzu, and even Zsarachnor to the Prime Material Plane, he administrated the Plane of Chaos with an iron fist, and his will was law."

Mathonwy says slowly, "Until."

A bright flash blinds you momentarily, and as your vision returns, you see before you a tentacle-wreathed figure clad in robes. Several of your robed brethren remove their masks, gaping openly in astonishment at the new arrival.

Ritual droning pervades the room, but the new arrival disrupts the chanting, first throwing off the rhythm, before it stops entirely. Before long, the entire room is in disarray.

Mathonwy says, "The scholars and ritualists of the Occultists succeeded, against all odds, at returning this famed figure to the Prime Material Plane."

Removing his hood, one of the figures, a slight tsol'aa, rushes over to talk to a dark-haired human.

A slight tsol'aa says emotionally in a dazed tone of voice, "This must be kept secret, even among House members. If this knowledge were to escape..."

A dark-haired human says firmly in an Ashtani accent, "I am well aware of the consequences. Let this knowledge remain with those in this room and the Exarchs of the House, at least for now."

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Sobriquet said:
    The tash'la lecture was ruined by everyone turning into adolescence students trying to out emote each other. It was infuriating. It's the only showcase I've been too and reminded me why I ignored the others. The admin are great, the player base is annoyingly predictably annoying. 
    I agree with you. Not everyone needs to stand and observe the speaker a certain special way. 
  • Trey said:
    I know it's a tiny thing amidst all of the fantastic efforts people have gone through for their presentations and items, but I was super stoked about this run on the moirah (and will share it now that nobody can try to beat me):
    1. 4533h, 5262m, 20200e, 21685w exk|0/0|0/0|0/0|99-  (7:45:57:145)

2. 4533h, 5262m, 20200e, 21685w exk|0/0|0/0|0/0|99-  (7:47:52:851)
    Editing just for brevity, but I think you beat me by like half a second! I was so proud that I went for so long, too! Nice job!
  • Ayani said:
    Trey said:
    I know it's a tiny thing amidst all of the fantastic efforts people have gone through for their presentations and items, but I was super stoked about this run on the moirah (and will share it now that nobody can try to beat me):

Editing just for brevity, but I think you beat me by like half a second! I was so proud that I went for so long, too! Nice job!
    Oh no! I thought I was a shoe-in. I wonder what happens if we tied.

• edited July 2019
    Trey said:
    Ayani said:
    Trey said:

Oh no! I thought I was a shoe-in. I wonder what happens if we tied.
    Looking at your times, I don't think we did. I was half hoping (since Ayani was on kvkir at the time) that she'd win and then have it stripped from her for taking drugs. Would have made me laugh!

Also, fair food was really difficult to binge eat from since you had that delay timer for purchasing. Thank goodness there were carts!
    Showcase: Professor Alnbeine!

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    With silliness is the only true way of experiencing that log. :lol:

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited July 2019
    I don't think any of the other showcases had nearly as much engagement. I personally found it extremely refreshing and much more interesting than a bunch of people AFKing in silence.

Plus, I am pretty sure everyone emoting in Alnbeine's lecture were not only in fact paying attention (as they all had relevant questions for him after the end) but also all people who are very interested in Achaea physics and metaphysics. It's not as if the lorebuilding opportunity went to waste.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited July 2019
    Come to think of it, no one logged the fae ballet? :anguished:

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

I missed the ballet, as well as the showcase that happened around when the Moirah showed up, unfortunately! Would love if someone shared those.
  • Sothantos said:
    I don't think any of the other showcases had nearly as much engagement. I personally found it extremely refreshing and much more interesting than a bunch of people AFKing in silence.
    wow I feel personally attacked rn
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
    Mathonwy's showcase was so silent I had to double-check I wasn't on the "dialogue only" tab.
  • Ballet log for those who missed it. I kept the colour as much as possible, because it added to it for me. Enjoy!