Crafting The Future!

Comments

• I like the landscaping idea. 
  • Personally, I would love something like vial making maybe or even a skill to produce alcohol and other beverages of course. 
  • I really like the idea of painting, and artwork in general. As far as other tradeskills go, given that the economy for stone is now mostly player driven, I'd like to see the same become true for wood due to its use in player housing along with stone. Whether that took the form of a Forestry/Lumberjack skill or something else, who knows?

• What can I say, I'm loving the artistry idea  :3

Many people have mentioned a painting/sculpting/artistry tradeskill to enable one to buy paints, perhaps collect some natural materials akin to furnishing - gather pigment minerals, mix with water/solvent, actually use all those eggs that people can collect to combine into an egg tempera paint and oil for oil paints, gather chalks and charcoals to derive pastels, collect resins/waxes/gums as binding agents, collect wood types/stone and others to use for sculpting. Although that's probably complicating it a lot. 

Can also combine the artistry skill to include making journals/scrolls/manuscripts and maybe even a new array of medium types to go along with canvases and designing them using collected leather, wood, various plants for fibre and other materials to make the parchment inside a specific texture/hue. 

Can ramble all day about this, but going to leave it there, yus yus yusss.
  • Trey said:
    I really like the idea of painting, and artwork in general. As far as other tradeskills go, given that the economy for stone is now mostly player driven, I'd like to see the same become true for wood due to its use in player housing along with stone. Whether that took the form of a Forestry/Lumberjack skill or something else, who knows?

Forest Enemy Trey this idea.

• Caelan said:
    Trey said:
    I really like the idea of painting, and artwork in general. As far as other tradeskills go, given that the economy for stone is now mostly player driven, I'd like to see the same become true for wood due to its use in player housing along with stone. Whether that took the form of a Forestry/Lumberjack skill or something else, who knows?

You're acting like I'm not already!

• Trey said:
    Caelan said:
    Trey said:

You're acting like I'm not already!
    Forest Instakill Trey INSOLENCE!

• Huge props to the World's Fair! Tried out a Sojourn. Thank you so much for giving us all a chance to participate! Plan to try to reach the finish line at least once. Will probably die a few more times to those pesky Occultists and their ritual.
    So far, the wares I have seen were amazing! Cannot wait to see what the rest of the fair brings!
  • I'm pretty sure it's been said, but toy making, complete with some measure of customisable reactions, would be really cool.
  • Grooming: Different designs for beards, mustaches, eyebrows, hair, fur, other physical features like scars, birthmarks, etc. Elements that would get added to a person’s physical description that they can interact with, and maybe add fun components to, such as a beard they can stash things in, hair that they can store liquids in, a birth mark they can stroke for 10 minutes of luck, that kind of thing.

Servitors: The ability to build servitors to complete functions and enhance trade skills of the person for whom the servitor was built. For example, a harvesting servitor someone who already has harvesting can use to harvest from a location adjacent to where they are picking. A servitor one could use to gather a certain amount of wood per day. A servitor one could use for combat practice using adventurer only abilities. The list can go on.

Taming: As the prior skill would involve some Aldar related world event, taming could serve a similar function. For example, I could tame a monkey for someone to help them pick fruits while they pick fruits from an adjacent location. A woodchuck that would help gather wood. A bear that could hunt reagents. Like Servitors, the list could go on.

• I'd love an Aldar-based crafting skill, that might require the same process as Psion.

It was a bit strange that their magic is said to mostly be constructive, but the Psion class is mainly a combat class.
  • Of all of these, Andrastes archaelogy idea is definitely the coolest. Some sort of tradeskill that actually adds gameplay would be great. Otherwise I second something to do wiwitwiwith animals. I remember a million years ago in imperial I trained my hound to rat and it was super cool for my noobie self. Although i feel like if everyone was able to train an animal in all sorts of tricks falcons might need looking at. 

Otherwise I'm not a fan of more tradeskills that are just buy x ingredients and make x item that's not valuable. I'd want either gameplay like archaeology and pets, or real profit potential. But that's just me. As a non user, i still recognize any tradeskills contribute to the richness of the game.
  • Trey said:
    I second the wood gathering idea, that could be fun and makes something that will always be valuable. 
  • I feel like anything to do with chopping down trees is gonna get a lot of people enemied to Eleusis.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• Hmm as long as it doesnt affect plant growth in the room or grove usage, then seems ok. Currently Eleusis has the means to "reclaim" cities, roads, etc to nature, so doesnt seem as much an issue to gather wood from forests in contrast.
  • Navarr said:
    Thought I'd mention before I forget, I saw a number of people suggesting a brewing skill. I think this could very easily be incorporated into the cooking skill, adding to the richness of cooking by having accompanying beverages, yum.  :3
    plz no :(

• Vhaith said:
    I feel like anything to do with chopping down trees is gonna get a lot of people enemied to Eleusis.
    Worth.
  • Gror said:
    Vhaith said:
    I feel like anything to do with chopping down trees is gonna get a lot of people enemied to Eleusis.
    Worth.
    Not when you get forest enemied and can't use the skill :-)

• It is a fine line, honestly. On the one hand, it could be portrayed to be merely harvesting the excess abundance of wood, the same way harvesting herbs now is (not how it used to be). Or maybe it could be like furnishing samples, using deadfall.

On the other hand, there is a woodcutter in Aalen that the Tsol'aa don't like very much, I believe? So it could easily be role-played either way, and I think if it were made a skill, it should be made officially clear that it is not a deforestation type of thing.
  • I'd be 100% ok with being open pk and targetted in forest rooms in exchange of gathering wood.
  • I'm Eleusian and I'm fairly sure I'd harvest the shit out of wood while I'm working on the estates for the next 20 years
  • edited July 2019
    Man, these guys just love the wood.

@Cailin I was joking about forest enemying.  I would imagine any skill would be "ssfe" like you were talking about. And Eleusis could be okay with it by saying it will prevent fires from lightning strikes so...

Maybe it is just me but it doesnt sound like a whole skill.

• edited July 2019
    I'd personally see it like a different flavour of mining.

And for the Eleusis conflict angle, I'd say there should be heavy cutting and light cultivating.

The former would make Eleusians a little annoyed in some way, but also give them a bonus on attacking such operations, 'cause the forest itself is pissed.

The latter would be less effective, especially for non-Eleusian non-forestal (and maybe non-tsol'aa), but Eleusians would have no such attack bonus or even a minor penalty, since it would represent careful forestry that's actually healthy for the forest as a whole.
  • I read that as 'heavy petting' and was like "no, no..that is the old Eleusis. You're thinking about Cyrene.."

I am not sure giving the rest of Sapience access to Exterm-lite would be beneficial for the game, Eleusis, or those who end up enemied for it and thus lose access - because clear cutting WILL be grounds for enemying IC.

• At one point they were considering giving players access to an ability to destroy forest rooms...but naturally chose against it because of the trolling aspect.

I'd honestly not mind a simple cutting message to collect wood that wont at all impact plants or forest abilities.

IF we would rather spice it up, then I could see it as a lumber harvesting mechanic with the choice of going aggressive or not.

1. Producing a lumberyard at a forest room and hiring workmen.
    2. Asking the dryads for assistance with mulching trees in a room to assist the individal and ecosystem.
  • Asmodron said:
    At one point they were considering giving players access to an ability to destroy forest rooms...but naturally chose against it because of the trolling aspect.

I'd honestly not mind a simple cutting message to collect wood that wont at all impact plants or forest abilities.

IF we would rather spice it up, then I could see it as a lumber harvesting mechanic with the choice of going aggressive or not.

1. Producing a lumberyard at a forest room and hiring workmen.
    2. Asking the dryads for assistance with mulching trees in a room to assist the individal and ecosystem.
    I would absolutely love and partake in a cool mining-esque system without so much prospecting...
  • What about a Gleaning skill? Collect single bits of ore, small amounts of wood,  few lumps of coal... nowhere near as effective as actual mining, but far cheaper, working more like harvesting or gathering. You glean the Southern Vashnars and get maybe 50 total of various mining products, or glean the whole Aalen and get maybe 30 pieces of wood... but it's free, and you can do it again in a few hours.
  • That would undermine the point of mining, and commodities, in general.
This discussion has been closed.