Optional Gameplay Soundtrack?

Really, it's just in the title. What if Achaea had the option to play sound in-game? What I mean is stuff like ambience (muffled conversation and bustle for cities, birdsong and insects for forests, etc) that may change during the night/day cycle. Moving between rooms might trigger footsteps or appropriate noises for mounts, maybe, or whistling of air if you're flying. Combat might be tricky, but I'm sure it can be pulled off.

Just a simple idea. But for all I know, it might be already implemented and I never noticed! :p

Comments

• The nexus client does this I think?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    The nexus client does this I think?
    It does, but not in the way I described. It just has button noises.
  • edited June 2019
    Technically you can already do this in Mudlet. Have to make it yourself, but you can do it.

• Pyori said:
    Technically you can already do this in Mudlet. Have to make it yourself, but you can do it.
    This sounds like a super fun thing to implement - sound files with a trigger to survey occasionally (and gag it, but I'm not sure how you'd gag just THAT survey) and then play x sound file based on where you are.
  • Rouen said:
    Pyori said:
    This sounds like a super fun thing to implement - sound files with a trigger to survey occasionally (and gag it, but I'm not sure how you'd gag just THAT survey) and then play x sound file based on where you are.
    You don't need to survey at all. Room information - including area name - is communicated via GMCP, so you can just pull it from that.
    Sobriquet said:
    The nexus client does this I think?
    I have a vague recollection that some version of a website client had background music tied to areas. It may have been an earlier version of what's called Nexus, or may have been one of the old Java/Flash clients.
  • @Antonius How would one do that, were one actively collecting sound files?
  • Rouen said:
    @Antonius How would one do that, were one actively collecting sound files?
    Probably something like this (very quickly thrown together, and untested because I don't have access to Mudlet):
    areasounds = areasounds or {
    	currentarea = nil
    }

areasounds.files = {
    	["Targossas]" = "/location/of/file",
    	["Ashtan"] = "/location/of/another/file",
    }

areasounds.roomchange = function()
    	if areasounds.currentarea == gmcp.Room.Info.area then return end -- same area, so don't need to do anything
    	areasounds.currentarea = gmcp.Room.Info.area
    	local file = areasounds.files[areasounds.currentarea]

if file then
    		-- play the file
    	end
    end
    registerAnonymousEventHandler("gmcp.Room.Info", "areasounds.roomchange")