OOC Raves

Comments

•                                                               

• Which are you referring to?   It all looks beautiful to me. B)
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • That looks so nice! I almost failed a gardening class in college, so I’m hella impressed.
  • In college I lived in a house that was named after Beat poets. We had a cactus and we somehow ended up killing it off (probably because, since the cactus was directly outside of the upstairs bathroom, its main sustenance came from being used by drunk partygoers as a way to dispose of cheap beer or to relieve themselves).  This meant, in the words of one of my faintly-chagrined housemates, that we were less nourishing than a desert.

I really haven't had the heart to try to grow anything since then.

cc: @Flair
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Torinn said:
    I'm leaving my job of 5 and a half years.  Anybody who works in the tech industry knows how quickly the field evolves.  New technology and methodologies crop up all the time, and most companies are eager and quick to adopt them.  My job was stale and stagnant.  The company didn't believe in using anything remotely new, anything it couldn't completely control.  We reinvented the wheel more times than I can count, and crappily at that.  I found that I was falling further and further behind the tech curve and because of it I was fast becoming unemployable.  The time came to ask myself - do I want to stay here for the rest of my life where I am unchallenged, uninterested, and unhappy, or do I want to take a risk and try to get something that makes me excited again?  So I've  quit and am moving across the United States to be closer to family.  It's terrifying and I hate taking risks but this is what I need.  I have been battling pretty severe depression due to my job that I didn't even recognize for the longest time.  A lot of people say work sucks and most of the time it's true but working is such a huge part of our lives we shouldn't settle. I'm not settling any more.  Here is to doing what's best for ourselves, not what's most comfortable. *cheers*
    I was let go from a very similar situation. Five years at a company doing lead development and project management on a junior developer salary, having to fight tooth and nail for every new tech adoption, and even those were scarce and only taken on out of sheer necessity. The job I'm at now I walked into not knowing a damn bit of their tech stack, and that was absolutely terrifying. You're right about leaving being terrifying, but there is good news at least. That's the hardest, scariest part, and you've got it over with now.

There are nothing but open doors and roads ahead of you. Hang in there, and aye, here's to doing what's best for ourselves, and never settling for less again. 

• Thank you for sharing @Synthus it helps me not be so nervous, I appreciate it  :)
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I just learned there is a new Shaun Tan book out.

Oh my poor little heart. This poor little thing. Oh my gosh.

• Synthus said:
    Pretty sure this is a rave? It's a rave to me anyway.

So last week I was called by a tech company about an hour away, told me about a position they had open, not my wheelhouse for the languages but I have experience with everything else they are looking for, asked if I was interested, and then asked for my resume. I hadn't updated my resume in about six months and I was feeling sick that day, so I just kind of put it on the back burner. Figure I'll get around to it on the weekend and then respond to the email they sent me with more details on the position with my resume Monday. 

Weekend rolls around, still not feeling well, just kind of rolling through things and doing what I can where I can. Try to hammer at things, can't focus, try to hammer at things in Achaea, still can't focus. Figure, "Ah hell, well, I blew my shot and I'm not the best fit, so whatever" then go to bed, wake up Monday, and start the slog again.

Then Tuesday rolls around and I get a call again from the company. I apologize about not getting back in touch with them, explain the situation, explain that I really don't think I'm a good fit for what they're looking for, and start talking with them about some of the concerns with the position. They proceed to tell me that it's okay, that I can just send in what I've got for my resume along with any updates in the email, and that they still think I'm a good fit even without the experience in the languages that a lot of their stuff is built in. So, they send me a questionnaire, it's super simple almost pre-interview stuff. I fill it out, get my resume updated, and send out the email this morning before heading out to lunch. About twenty minutes later during lunch, I get a reply...

I have an interview tomorrow... for a tech lead position... that I more or less have been led by the hand to...

Which starts at double my current salary...

I'm trying to be pragmatic, keep telling myself, "Don't get your hopes up, they're probably just padding candidate numbers," but every colleague I've talked to since that's been through this process with similar situations keeps telling me the same thing - unless I completely botch this interview, it's very likely that they've already made their decision and everything leading up has been formality. One of the most seasoned, veteran developers I know that has been through this song and dance more times than he can count promptly blew my mind after I talked to him about it.

"They called you first. They called you back the next week to check up on you. They worked with you to get your information and have been telling you that your concerns aren't a problem. They set up your first interview less than twenty-four hours after getting your information. Take a deep breath and relax. This ain't about you trying to convince them, it's about them trying to convince you."

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up... but it's really hard not to. 
    So, as an update... 

My phone interview was roughly about ten minutes of going over my resume, another ten minutes of going over my work experience, ten more minutes of going over the company and the hiring process. I'll have to take a coding exam, standard fare, and I can choose any language that I wish to take the exam in.

Then there was an hour of negotiating salary and benefits. Salary isn't quite double like what I'd been told because there were some issues with my Python experience, but is about 90% there, and has the potential to exceed my initial starting offer dependent upon the exam. On top of that, I managed to negotiate for double the vacation time they were offering (160 hours instead of 80).

As long as I don't completely flunk the exam, there is a good chance I may get a final interview and offer as early as next Friday. I'm not sure if I'm in just an anxious enough state that I'm flirting with danger willingly or if my gumption and give-a-damn have finally decided that they actually exist now, but the fact that my Python experience docked me in the negotiations has made me decide that I'm going to do the exam in Python.

And you know what? I'm gonna crush it. I don't care how hard I have to study, how many crash courses I'm going through this weekend, I'm going to knock that damn thing out of the park.

Then, I'm gonna throw the results down on the table for them and I'm gonna say "So, about my original offer..." 
  • I start all my salary negotiations with, "Look, motherfuckers..."

Works well

• edited June 2019
    Made it down to Florida. 2 hours sleep. 9pm departure. Stopped 2x for 1 hour each sleep. Arrived 8:30p. Time to kick these contractors in their asses and get this remodel done. 

Edit: Hey NYC, don't Chris Christie the goddamn GWB.  It was bad enough w only 3 lanes.  Doing it down to 1 is a dick move.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Had to work with the army. Was expecting crayon eating but was pleasantly surprised. Props to ADA for not scraping the bottom of the barrel. 
  • edited June 2019
    Hahaha.  They must have sent the ones who weren't too busy trying to mooch the system with their entitled-ness. 

Speaking of crayons....
    Meanwhile, I managed to burn up the loaner prosthetic leg they gave me while the factory fixes my actual one for the last 3 months. Marine-proof? NEWP. But they still get $60,000 for just the leg part (not the carbon fiber socket or the foot).  I swear Otto Bock should pay me for Quality Control.  I broke the first Genium X3 in all of the East Coast in under a week (3 days actually). 

(Also just read the website and the X3 is supposed to match the physiological gait of a human.  Beesh, I was doing that 4 generations of leg ago.)

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Lt. Cael-dan
  • They will respect you x1000 if you do.  

• I will either lead with that, or the other opening I've been advised of: Walk in, slam my fists down on the table, and shout, "THEY HAVE MY SON!" Pause for a moment and assess the shock on their faces before telling them, "Get out." Then, as they are shuffling out the room in disarray, I'll stop the last one from leaving with, "Not you." Then the negotiations begin.

I dunno, do you think if I start skinning a deer on the conference room table and talking about establishing a dynasty it might be too much? 
  • Pretty sure the deer sets the right tone for this occassion. Just remember that if you haven't already field dressed it, it is customary to offer the heart and liver to your guests before taking a bite for yourself.

• Was going to go for a rant, backspaced it all when I realized RL drama doesn't matter here. Instead going to rave for the unnamed few that have stuck with through the downward spiral of my weekend, or have understood my need to avoid rp and just bash things brains in. You the real MVPs.
  • edited June 2019
    Just a quick note as my brain is overheated and in danger of melting. Been working a bit on my blademaster combat. I'd like to give a very thankful shoutout to @Jinos, @Kog, and the many others who have offered advice. I have a lot left to learn, but it's people like you that make it enjoyable.