The Seleucarian Games: Opening Ceremony

So, I'm only five days late with this now, but now that I'm finally a bit more caught up on things, I wanted to put out a log of the opening ceremony we held for the games. I know there were a fair few people who couldn't make it or requested to see what happened, and I'm sorry it took so long, I'm not used to trying to handle half this much event work.

I want to give a huge thank you to all the people who showed up for this, and for all the people who've been helping make this all happen (I really need to write a proper rave for everyone, but I'm terrified I'll miss people, so I'll probably wait until after these games). I definitely never thought so many people would come, or add to it with their own touches and emotes and the like. And for the people who missed it, I hope that there will be even better chances to take part, if people are interested by the end after all the public posts.

I won't comment on the log itself much; I've never been a fan of my own writing, and I haven't been able to make myself actually read through my parts of this since it happened, so I'm sure there's plenty of errors and issues. Still, I hope someone might get a kick out of taking a look!

Hall of Visionaries. (indoors)
You see the following people here:
Cooper, Elstan, Phelia, Esti, Kaden, Lorath, Sorlia, Artanis, Evanston, Deziny, Thaisen, Myna, Maelyn, Limea, Argwin, Jinos, Boosteya, Else, Maux, Cyzhar, Melodie, Astrela, Crestia, Aleth, Morthif, Drefan, Torial, Cailin, Khel, Synthus, Kresslack, Stheno, Leorea, Saelily, Devasha, Torrent, Shoju, Cecelia, Ryssa, Elyon, Zbaco, Moranda, Kaitlynn, Penwize, Nhakra, Shokufeh, Lenn, Ktakl, Ploutos, Arin, Mroxyl, Zadkiel, Skye, Keorin

You have emoted: Keorin glances out at the gathered audience, before stepping up to take a stand at the raised dais at the far end of the hall.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Thank you all for coming. I know the trip down to Meropis isn't a short one."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "I'm going to have to ask for everyone to quiet down a bit, though, so we can get this started."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "First, I'd like to welcome everyone to the grounds of the Asterian Restoration, who were kind enough to allow us to use this space for this ceremony and these games."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The Asterian Restoration is a group dedicated to the free exchange of knowledge, and the preservation of the lasting history of Seleucar. It's an honour to be here, and I hope this ceremony will live up to their legacy."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "For those not familiar with the history of this place, we stand where the Duchy of Aster Malik once stood, the duchy just north of the Imperial City of Seleucar itself. Many of you likely passed the ruins of Seleucar on your way to get here."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "From the earliest days of Nikolas' quest for a better future on this continent, to the founding of the empire that would stretch from one end of our continent all the way to what's now Meropis and the golden age that would follow, to the eventual rise of the Sapient League that would end the stagnant empire and pave the way for the legendary city states of This Modern Age, the legacy and legends of Seleucar have shaped this land more than any other mortal history."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Sixteen hundred years ago, when that empire was only what some believed to be a mad dream, a band of farmers, refugees, and others looking for a new life settled just south of where we're standing."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "It was there that they were given a task by Lord Sarapis Himself, to stand against the Tsol'teth, and drive them from our continent."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And it was with that charge that that small settlement would come to shake the world as we know it, and leave a legacy that we would celebrate even today."

Reverberating with arcane might, the voice of Silon'ukia resounds across the continent in utmost clarity, every lilting note rendered in exact, perfect pitch as she declares, "mainad'noorala'atmalad."

You have emoted: Keorin gestures broadly up at the ink painting of Nikolas, before pausing slightly at the foreign word.

You smile and say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Means we're doing something right."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "We've gathered here today because we share the vision of the man who started that empire. A vision that many on our continent have decided is completely impossible: to stand firm against the invaders, and drive the Tsol'teth back to their home."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And even more, we've gathered to carry on the traditions and legacy of that vision. For this anniversary is more important then most. Ancient Seleucar stood for eight hundred years from its early founding on the banks of the river."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And now, it has laid fallen for eight hundred years since. Moving forward, our world will be shaped more by the Modern Age that we are all a part of, then by the Age of Light that came before it. And so, it is more important than ever that we reflect on that legacy, and carry it on against Seleucar's most ancient foe."

You have emoted: Keorin steps down from the dais, picking up and carrying forward a crate filled with silver and sanguine-swirled candles.

You smile and say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Please, take these candles and pass them around."

Kaden steps up in order to help pass candles along.

You have emoted: Keorin leans down to the box, taking up a candle of her own, before moving back to retrieve another crate.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "These candles are made in the two colours of the heraldry for these games, sanguine and silver."

Leorea leans down to pull a candle from the crate, grasping it gently in one hand.

Telendrieth leans down, taking a candle and assisting in their dispersal.

Cecelia tentatively reaches a small arm forwards from the moving crate and clutches a candle, pulling it back to her chest.

Synthus steps up to the crate, helping to distribute candles as well.

Zbaco takes a candle.

Skye reaches over and plucks a candle from the crate.

Sorlia slowly takes a candle from the crate.

Hefting a crate of candles in his arm, Kresslack slowly moves along the crowd, passing them out.

Reevah takes a candle from the crate.

Torial extends a paw to take a candle from one of the many handing them out.

Saelily casually shoves Elyon towards the crate.

Cailin holds out her hand to take a candle from Kresslack.

Evanston takes a long pull from a bottle of rum, coughing and blinking his eyes rapidly as the drink burns his throat.

Ktakl reaches over and takes a candle from the crate.

Arin accepts a candle from the crate, keeping the distribution going.

Cyzhar reluctantly seizes two candles in the grasp of spidery fingers, passing one briefly to Devasha with a momentary shared glance.

Deziny takes a handful of candles, passing a bundle to the people behind her.

Nhakra pulls out a tinderbox, waiting for the command to light.

Mycen reaches in and takes a candle from the crate.

Torial flutters her eyelashes at Evanston.

Mroxyl extends a hand to accept a candle.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The sanguine is both our lasting fury at the Tsol'teth, the desire of all of us, north, west and south to drive back the Tsol'teth and defeat them, whatever our different reasons would be. And it is also the blood of our fallen, for those who have died in this war, and the rest who will die in sacrifice to make our victory possible."

Elyon reaches fowards and grabs two candles from the crate.

Boosteya claims a candle from Deziny.

Kresslack places a candle in Torial's paw, nodding as he passes by.

Stheno plucks a candle from the hands of someone looking the other way.

Else reaches for a candle, but then pauses, frowning.

Kaden takes up a candle and takes a place behind Sorlia.

Elyon hands one of his candles to Saelily.

Devasha bites the edge of her lip as her henna-decorated fingers wind around the candle, her gilded gaze shifting from Cyzhar to the rest of the coalition.

Kaden says in a quiet voice, "Else is welcome to witness, even if he doesn't take up a candle."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The silver is both our purity of purpose, and the light of the open sky that the Tsol'teth have always been unable to stand. Whatever city we're from, whatever part of the world, we have all been born under this sky, and now we fight against those who would take it."

Catching a hint of hesitation, Kresslack pushes a candle into Else's hand, moving along before he can return it.

You nod your head at Kaden.

Else says in a quiet, unassuming voice, "I am Targossian. I do not have the right."

Cecelia says quietly in a wary voice, "You are an individual, not an embodiment."

Saelily says to Else in a chipper voice, "Not everyone here's gotta stake.."

Cecelia waves her candle around.

Boosteya says to Else, "Yes you do."

Synthus says to Else with a Theran accent, "These games are for all. That is the point."

You smile and say to Else with a slight Arcadian accent, "These games, and this ceremony, are open to all, like all anniversaries have been. You can take part however you like."

Else nods his head at you.

Leorea says to Else with a sweet, Cyrenian accent, "Do not feel as though you don't belong. If you are here in good will, we welcome you."

Setting the crate aside, Kresslack take up the last two and returns to his place in the crowd, handing one to Phelia.

You have emoted: Keorin strikes a small fire with her tinderbox, setting her candle alight, and nursing it until it forms a strong flame. Stepping forward towards Kaden, she holds out the candle to his, to pass the fire on.

Nhakra puts her tinderbox away, reaching out with her candle.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Pass on the flame, so that it spreads to all of us gathered here."

Zbaco tilts his candle towards one that is lit, then passes the flame onwards.

Cecelia gets on her tiptoes, catching someone's light to light her own candle.

Arin lights her candle against Cailin's,.

Mycen reaches out with her candle, lighting it off and then pases on the flame.

Else sheathes his blade and hesitantly takes up a candle, smiling softly.

Ktakl reaches his candle out and lights the wick.

Leorea reaches forward to light her candle.

Arin offers her lit candle to Mroxyl.

Saelily slips into the mass with a cheery twirl, reaching out to light her wick from Leorea's.

Mroxyl leans his candle toward Arin's candle, carefully lighting it.

Kaden cups the candle flame, keeping it protected until it burns bright.

Torial holds her fingers above the wick of her candle and quickly it alights as flame erupts from her fingertips.

You have emoted: Waiting for all the candles to light, Keorin steps back to continue.

Shoju watches the flame dance from another candle to his before passing it along.

Saelily offers her candle towards Elyon.

Elyon says to Saelily with a soft, ariose accent, "Light mine?"

Elyon holds his candle out towards Saelily.

Telendrieth gently touches his candle to a nearby flame, before looking over to Synthus and offering to light his.

Sorlia reaches up lighting her candle on Kaden's.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Our heraldry is divided into two parts. One half is a crimson sun on a silver field, and the other, a silver owl on a crimson field."

Cyzhar borrows the heat of another's nearby flame to light the wick.

Lighting his candle off that of a nearby spectator, Kresslack holds it out towards Phelia.

Astrela walks over and carefully picks up a silver coloured candle, taking a place at the end of the line.

With a nod, Synthus reaches over with his candle, lighting it from the flame offered by Telendrieth.

Cailin gazes at the delicate flame of her candle thoughtfully.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The sun is the shared symbol of our overland, the light that has always destroyed and pushed back the Tsol'teth."

Saelily delicately taps Elyon's candle with the flame of her own, setting it aflame.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And the owl is both the wisdom that has allowed us to see past the words and promises that too many of our continent have fallen to. As well as a symbol of that first charge made by Lord Sarapis to then-Nikolas, the charge that we carry on."

You have emoted: Keorin lifts up her candle, displaying the flame to the gathered hall.

Devasha tilts her candle into Cyzhar's, the wick flaming brightly before she carries the flame on to the person beside her.

Stheno snaps her fingers by the candle's wick and summons a tiny flame from the ether, which catches quickly.

Boosteya lights her candle with her own tinderbox.

Boosteya says, "It's all /our/ fire."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Though the light of Seleucar may have ended on Meropis when it grew stagnant and was distroyed, it never left to the world. It spread to all of us, to all corners of the continent. Though we may all have different purposes, we each carry the ambition and vision that once made the empire possible."

You nod your head at Boosteya, showing your acceptance.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And so, where the Tsol'teth have come to try and claim our history and these games, everyone here has gathered against it. To carry on out traditions. To refuse to bow to a foreign invader, Seleucar's ancient foe that would now claim its anniversary."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "We carry on this flame, to decide what Seleucar will mean in the world in the next eight hundred years. And we can't let that legacy be defined by its most ancient foe."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "They would claim that the staff -is- that legacy, because they don't understand our history. The staff may have been granted to Nicator and formed the empire, but when the first Black Wave came, it could not be found. Sapience fought without the aid of the staff, and won."

Hymns sung in sacred duty arise from the Heart of Dawn, honouring the triumph of Vinzent over Iloisee in the pursuit of Creation's sanctity.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And now, once again, we don't have the staff. And once again, we must fight."

You smile and say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Anyone who isn't already, please follow me."

Comments

• edited June 2019
    (After walking several rooms)
    The Asterian Observatory.
    This room has not been mapped.

You have emoted: As she reaches the top of the observatory, Keorin steps forward to a large basin set atop its edge, moving to its opposite side so she can address the crowd once more.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The Seleucarian Games stand opposed to everything the Tsol'teth wish for. They stand for carrying on the legacy of Nicator, of Severian, of all the legends of the Age of Light who stood back against the tide like we do now."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Right here, we make history. For the first time, we are taking this legacy and our traditions into our own hands. Where the Tsol'teth want to make us bow, we will instead stand and fight."

The door leading down is opened from the other side.
    Black scales shimmer around Elstan as he enters from the down.

Cyzhar folds one hand behind his back, the other idly lifting the sanguine candle before his armored frame as he watches with furtive, animate attention.

You have emoted: Reaching out, Keorin tosses her candle into the basin, the kindling at its base beginning to lightly smolder, as she spreaders her arms wide before it.

You smile and say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Place your candles into this beacon, so that we can all set it alight."

Sarah places her list candle into the beacon.

Ktakl grins and throws his candle into the beacon.

Evanston places his candle into the beacon.

Deziny tosses her candle into the basin with a casual flick of her wrist.

Nhakra nods quickly before gently placing her candle.

Shoju carefully places his candle into the beacon.

Cecelia shuffles through the crowd, her small frame navigating the larger bodies before she gently places her candle into the beacon.

Cailin steps forward, dropping her candle into the basin, before resuming her place among the crowd.

Moranda shyly places a lit candle into the beacon.

Phelia places her candle into the beacon.

Sorlia moves forward and places her candle in the beacon.

Saelily offers her candle skywards with an outstretched arm before carelessly tossing it into the basin.

Kaden plants the candle into the beacon.

Reevah places her candle in the beacon.

Stepping forward, Kresslack languidly tosses his candle into the beacon, adding it to the flames.

Zadkiel places her candle into the beacon.

Mycen steps forward, placing the candle in the beacon.

Torial dropds her candle into the beacon.

Leorea carefully places her candle into the beacon.

Telendrieth presents his candle to the beacon.

Arin carefully lays her candle in the beacon.

Stheno tosses her candle in a perfect arc into the growing conflagration.

Cyzhar strides forward with gravid purpose, casually throwing the flickering fire of the candle into the beacon.

Stepping forward, Synthus carefully places his candle within the beacon amongst the others."

Cupping the flame with one hand, Devasha sets her candle into the beacon with a swift twist of her wrist.

Myna places her candle in the beacon.

Syla pats herself trying to find a candle.

Syla creases her brow in a frown.

Saelily calmly grabs a now abandoned candle and hands it to Syla.

Saelily says in a chipper voice, "Ely passed out..."

Mroxyl gently nudges his gryphon forward, extending his arm to lay his candle in the beacon.

You have emoted: Keorin steps back as the candles come to rest within the basin, the combined flames setting the material at its base alight. Steadily, the flame sputters to life, growing into a conflagration that burns a deep crimson hue.

Melodie watches the growing flame within the beacon silently.

Saelily stares at the fire, entranced.

Nhakra ponders the fire, her eyes slightly glazed as she seems to temporarily be elsewhere.

You have emoted: Keeping some distance from the now raging flame, Keorin smiles once at the audience, before her expression falls more serious.

Syla takes a step or two back shoving Tasus in front of her as if the dwarf will be a decent sacrifice if the beacon blows up.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "Just as the Tsol'teth have their litany, we shall have our own. Not one of obedience, but one of defiance, against those who would claim this continent and its traditions for our own."

Saelily snaps to attention suddenly, pondering you and the flame before she darts across the room to a corner.

Astrela holds her lit candle close in silent vigil, the bright flame a strong contrast to the dark energies slowly curling about her form.

You chant with a slight Arcadian accent, "The flame is lit, our trials begin. The past is writ from present sins."

You chant with a slight Arcadian accent, "Our future held in mortal hands. Today we win, today we stand."

Saelily cracks open a silver leather journal and glances over the gathering as you begins to chant, hastily sketching across a page.

Leorea smiles faintly, nodding at keorin.

Stheno shuts her eyes at the chant, drinking it in.

As the chanting ends, the flame in the basin flares up, glowing brightly over the observatory. As if in response, the more distant braziers on the bridge down below set alight, one crimson, one silver.

You have emoted: Keorin nods her head as the flame alights, the corners of her lips rising in a smile.

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "The flame of Seleucar continues on, as bright as ever. This beacon will shine out across where the Imperial City once stood, a symbol of our shared history and legacy."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "All who stand on the grounds that used to be of the empire will be able to see it. The Tsol'teth, if they dare to come back to where they once suffered their greatest defeat, will be able to see it."

You say with a slight Arcadian accent, "And with that, I declare the first and only Seleucarian Games started! Together, we will write our own history for the coming age, one that celebrates the past, while creating the future that each of us choose!"

Evanston gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of his voice, pumping his arms in the air.

Drefan gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of his voice, pumping his arms in the air.

Zbaco gives you an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of his voice, pumping his arms in the air.

Nhakra cheers wildly!

Maelyn cheers wildly!

Torial gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of her voice, pumping her arms in the air.

Saelily claps her hands together merrily.

Cailin gives up a round of applause.

Esti cheers wildly!

Reevah claps her hands together merrily.

Moranda cheers wildly!

Sarah gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of her voice, pumping her arms in the air.

Crestia nods her head carefully.

Syla cheers wildly!

Shoju gives up a round of applause.

Nhakra claps her hands together merrily.

Devasha claps her hands together merrily.

Sorlia cheers wildly!

Synthus cheers wildly!

Telendrieth gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of his voice, pumping his arms in the air.

Ploutos cheers wildly!

Arin gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of her voice, pumping her arms in the air.

Arin gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of her voice, pumping her arms in the air.

Cyzhar lifts his chin, regarding the roar of the crowd but refraining from cheering.

Thaisen gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of his voice, pumping his arms in the air.

The air itself vibrates as a fell tone echoes amongst your surroundings, the deep basso call heralding imminent conflict.

Ryssa cheers wildly!

Nhakra blinks.

Kaden nods his head emphatically.

Zadkiel claps her hands together merrily.

Myna gives an enthusiastic "Huzzah!" at the top of her voice, pumping her arms in the air.

Ktakl pumps his fist and roars.

• As a last note: I cut this log off after the end of the ceremony proper, just to try and keep it shorter, but that unfortunately cut out the ritual duel that was held between @melodie and @myna, with @stheno officiated. I didn't want to copy in more of Keorin's prattling, but I thought the duel was one of the best parts of the whole thing, so I'll grab that and get it posted later on for anyone interested!
  • Archaeon said:
    I think you're doing a great job, and I think that you should go down in Achaean history for this.  I wish I was able to attend IG without getting bitchslapped into orbit (maybe I'll phase in and check it out).  Good job, you are up there with people like Flair who take the game and instead of playing within the constraints, you make your own narrative and story, and everyone follows you.  Truly great stuff.
    Keorin smiles and says to Else with a slight Arcadian accent, "These games, and this ceremony, are open to all, like all anniversaries have been. You can take part however you like."
    Come in good faith and you should be fine. Just don't drop holo globes, snappy snap, or stab folks, and I doubt anyone would take issue if you came to spectate or participate. @Keorin has been phenomenal about holding most of the events on neutral ground so that everyone can take part.

If anyone tries to start anything with a peaceful spectator or participant, I'll be one of the first to tell 'em to bugger off and stab them if they don't.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Synthus said:
    Archaeon said:
    I think you're doing a great job, and I think that you should go down in Achaean history for this.  I wish I was able to attend IG without getting bitchslapped into orbit (maybe I'll phase in and check it out).  Good job, you are up there with people like Flair who take the game and instead of playing within the constraints, you make your own narrative and story, and everyone follows you.  Truly great stuff.
    Keorin smiles and says to Else with a slight Arcadian accent, "These games, and this ceremony, are open to all, like all anniversaries have been. You can take part however you like."
    Come in good faith and you should be fine. Just don't drop holo globes, snappy snap, or stab folks, and I doubt anyone would take issue if you came to spectate or participate. @Keorin has been phenomenal about holding most of the events on neutral ground so that everyone can take part.

If anyone tries to start anything with a peaceful spectator or participant, I'll be one of the first to tell 'em to bugger off and stab them if they don't.
    Mezghar tried to go to a Nature talk today that was supposed to be open to all and immediately got attacked.  :(

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I enjoyed reading this, and thank you for using the Asterian Restoration! It's an appropriate place to host this sort of event, I feel, and I hope there's still plenty more of the activities you are organising on the way. Maybe I might be able to come around more to experience them.