Rooms and Size Restrictions

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
So, this is a concept I have been rolling around in my head for a while now. I will preface this my acknowledgement that I fully expect this to be an unpopular opinion or idea because of how it would significantly change combat, which heavily relies on mechanic over RP.

Essentially my thought is this: Dragons and mounts should have restrictions when entering indoor locations and possibly even ships.

My reasoning is this: Perspective. With Achaea being a text-based game, it's easy to overlook certain things with such perspective because there are really not visual indicators to provide such perspective.

There have been many a time where I've caught myself looking around the room, noticing five dragons and others on various renditions of mounts and thinking to myself, "If this could be visualized graphically, it would look rather silly and cramped in here."

Dragons aren't small creatures, from snout to tail, including wingspan and weight. Yet over the course of the years people have gotten accustomed to staying in dragon for the mechanical benefits it provides, whether be the ability of flight, gare, veilglance, or more commonly combat advantages. The same thing can be said for being mounted, with people utilizing flying mounts as well as the ability to block exits while mounting, and the passive defensive bonus you get from Riding while being mounted.

Mechanically these make sense and are appealing, which is why they have become the norm. Other than mechanical advantages however, they strike me as strange practices which take away a lot for RP, especially situational RP.

A dragon wouldn't be able to squeeze it's way in through a shop or standard city building door. I look at this very much like the Enlarge Person spell in DnD (i.e. they will either grow to the confines of their environment and be contained by it, or break free of it). Likewise, horses and other mounts would typically be hard pressed to simply walk into buildings, and in the general sense this would be a very odd and unpractical thing to do. The same could be said in regards to ships.

Like I said, I realize this may be an unpopular opinion due to the convenience factor and mechanical advantages such things yield, especially in relation to combat.

I'm still interested in other people's thoughts on this and whether or not they think such restrictions would be practical or desired.

Comments

• Seems extremely inconvenient and impractical. I'd rather see an RP explanation - like that dragons can shrink if they want to. I don't know about the mounts.

I hate it when things don't completely make sense ICly, but sometimes you have to just make up your own explanation or forget about it/ignore it - like how we all drop food and stuff on the ground all the time instead of setting it on a table or something.
  • the passive defensive bonus you get from Riding while being mounted

.... Wait, what?

• edited May 2019
    When I'm in dragonform I'm actually only 2 feet tall. Cutest dragon ever.

Edit: also very terrifying to think about.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Cooper said:
    When I'm in dragonform I'm actually only 2 feet tall. Cutest dragon ever.

Edit: also very terrifying to think about.
    @Ryssa We need a picture of a two-foot tall Dragon Cooper unhinging its jaws for a devour on a six-foot xoran, stat.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Cailin said:
    Seems extremely inconvenient and impractical. I'd rather see an RP explanation - like that dragons can shrink if they want to. I don't know about the mounts.

I hate it when things don't completely make sense ICly, but sometimes you have to just make up your own explanation or forget about it/ignore it - like how we all drop food and stuff on the ground all the time instead of setting it on a table or something.
    Dragons can shrink if they want to, by going into lesser form. :P

But yeah I see what you mean and agree. I know a lot of people would find it inconvenient, but just wanted to throw it out there anyway for discussion purposes.

Cailin said:
    the passive defensive bonus you get from Riding while being mounted

.... Wait, what?

There's a skill in Riding called Defence, that is supposed to afford you some margin of protection while in combat. I think the concept is that the steed blocks/absorbs part of attacks based on the size of you compared to the steed, positioning, etc.

• edited May 2019
    Defence is just + avoidance, only for adventurers. It's probably more that hitting a dude on a horse is hard.
  • The Defence ability is just an invisible dexterity increase that impacts your chance to dodge attacks.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    There was a size stat in Achaea initially pre-2004, humans being 12, Dragons being 20 IIRC.

So it was initially thought about, but it was scrapped because it was unfeasible or something?

• This seems like something that would fall under "RP it." Ships' quarterdecks are going to be roomy enough for a dragon based on my understanding of their size, but be aware of yourself and lesserform to go into a cabin. Same with shops. Surrounded by dragons in a room? Comment on being squished. 😄 But mechanically that would be such an undertaking programming-wise for such a relatively minor thing that I'd prefer that time be spent on more impactful projects.
  • Yeah.  It's more on the player to RP, would be hard or annoying to enforce.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Veldrin said:
    There was a size stat in Achaea initially pre-2004, humans being 12, Dragons being 20 IIRC.

So it was initially thought about, but it was scrapped because it was unfeasible or something?
    the fabled  'Your momma' was 50.
  • I like the idea, and tend not to stay mounted or in dragon under normal circumstances, but this ship has honestly sailed. Would cause way too much inconvenience now that everyone has gotten used to the status quo for very little practical impact.

I try RP it for myself, even though I'm not dragon, so mainly in regards to being mounted. I even try to leave my mounts outside instead of having them follow me around all the time. And comments about dragon's fat arses crammed into a room tend to just get ignored in any case.

I think for the most part everyone is just too used to it, and without any visual representation to remind them of the perspective, don't acknowledge (or care) how ridiculous it seems.

Need to find someone to draw a comic or something along the lines of this for a visual aid.

• I just... What?
    Chanel 3 GIF                      

•         

Not as bad as your attitude. I stated in the original post I knew this would be an unpopular opinion, but there's no reason to act like a jerk about it.

• This has actually been implemented in one place recently - if you are in dragonform and try and squeeze through the under-reconstruction main entrance to Cyrene, you get the following message:

"Your draconic bulk is far too large to fit through the tunnel."

I also think this is an interesting idea, that would add a bit of flavour to the game.

• Kresslack said:
    Not as bad as your attitude. I stated in the original post I knew this would be an unpopular opinion, but there's no reason to act like a jerk about it.
    Bruh learn to take a joke. Futurama is life.

• To add to my previous comment...as annoying as it might get at times, would love to see these messages now and then. For example, when trying to enter a subdiv house in dragonform:

"Try as you might, you can't fit your draconic bulk through the doorway. Perhaps you could look through a window instead?"