What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I haven't tried writing an Ad in a long time. Is that still as hair pulling experience as I remember?

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Yeah, ADs are the only remaining text editor that imposes an 80 character linewrap still. It is god awful.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    Yeah, ADs are the only remaining text editor that imposes an 80 character linewrap still. It is god awful.
    This is pretty accurate.  And don't try to add too much of that fancy formatting mumbo jumbo either. Stick to plain text.

• I got guarded by maids

23:41:52 With silent footsteps, a meek servant cautiously slips in from the north and immediately begins cleaning.
    23:41:52 With silent footsteps, a meek servant cautiously slips in from the north and immediately begins cleaning.
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
  • Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
    @Dunn @Tasus

I've heard really good things about the Stormlight Archives and I'm considering borrowing The Way of Kings from a friend after I finish up with Dune instead of going on to Dune Messiah.

That said, I had friends recommend me The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth series, but I just couldn't really get into them.

Pacing seems to be a big deciding factor for whether or not my brain latches onto a novel. I've been told The Way of Kings has a number of protagonists that the plot jumps around to, which is really appealing to me, but I'm concerned that the pacing would still be sluggish. Would you guys say the Stormlight Archives moves slow-ish or fast-ish?
  • A mix, in my opinion. The points of view do jump around a bit and each book in the series has a different "main character" that experiences flashbacks in interludes. I like the way it's setup. Mistborn is another good series of Sanderson's that I would recommend.

• Synthus said:
    Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    @Dunn @Tasus

I've heard really good things about the Stormlight Archives and I'm considering borrowing The Way of Kings from a friend after I finish up with Dune instead of going on to Dune Messiah.

That said, I had friends recommend me The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth series, but I just couldn't really get into them.

Pacing seems to be a big deciding factor for whether or not my brain latches onto a novel. I've been told The Way of Kings has a number of protagonists that the plot jumps around to, which is really appealing to me, but I'm concerned that the pacing would still be sluggish. Would you guys say the Stormlight Archives moves slow-ish or fast-ish?
    Like all books of that length, it has it’s moments, but when it’s time for the action, it’s TIME for the action and I feel like it overall is a decent pace. I love the books. Hands down Nyneve favorite series so far. 
  • Synthus said:
    Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    @Dunn @Tasus

In Stormlight Archvies, there is a lot of perspective jumping, but not a whole lot. And usually, it's only a couple characters, not as many as Wheel of Time or even A Song of Ice and Fire (aside from prologue, intermission, and epilogue chapters which are typically one-off viewpoints). Overall, Stormlight is my second favorite fantasy series, having read all the ones you've mentioned. Pacing is pretty good - the books are really long, but they latch onto you surprisingly easily and you'll have moved through quite a bit of it before you realise. Definitely better than WoT's later books. My sole problem is that Sanderson's books exist in a multiverse, and in Stormlight there's currently a crossover character and item from a series of his I haven't read. I felt like I was missing out a bit.

But for a fantasy series with good pacing and no real character jumps (just a couple of small time jumps, the main story is literally a story being told to someone else), I'd also recommend my hands-down favorite fantasy series: The Kingkiller Chronicles. Only two books, and the third of the trilogy is... coming eventually. But the two that are available are utterly amazing.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    The first one was very good but confusing unless you like reading things multiple times and piecing them together (I do), the second one was absolutely fantastic, the third one was really good and less confusing than the first one. 

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • You gotta go all in and read every Sanderson Cosmere (his multiverse) book!

• I just started a book from the Cadfael Chronicles, and now you all have me jotting down more things to read as soon as possible.

Why you do this to me?  :anguished:
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • edited May 2019
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan was a good read. It’s a part of a trilogy but books 2 and 3 are awful. @Makarios will back me up on this one. The first book is a great read and feels like a full picture without the remainder of the books. 

• Tasus said:

Like all books of that length, it has it’s moments, but when it’s time for the action, it’s TIME for the action and I feel like it overall is a decent pace. I love the books. Hands down Nyneve favorite series so far. 
    As long as the tension keeps building to those action points, I'm good with it taking a while to get there. It's the idyllic idle in most novels that strain me, conversations that go on too long or exposition that reaches too far. I don't need a full chapter about some ancient Elvish forging techniques or the composition of Elven bladeglass to explain that it cut clean through conventional armours in the middle of fight. 

Kaedan said:

In Stormlight Archvies, there is a lot of perspective jumping, but not a whole lot. And usually, it's only a couple characters, not as many as Wheel of Time or even A Song of Ice and Fire (aside from prologue, intermission, and epilogue chapters which are typically one-off viewpoints). Overall, Stormlight is my second favorite fantasy series, having read all the ones you've mentioned. Pacing is pretty good - the books are really long, but they latch onto you surprisingly easily and you'll have moved through quite a bit of it before you realise. Definitely better than WoT's later books. My sole problem is that Sanderson's books exist in a multiverse, and in Stormlight there's currently a crossover character and item from a series of his I haven't read. I felt like I was missing out a bit.
    I don't mind perspective jumping really as long as it's not too often. A couple of perspective shifts in a chapter are fine, but I really enjoy whole chapters dedicated to a single perspective with an encapsulated arc. That does dishearten me that there's gonna be context that I don't fully appreciate, but if it's intriguing enough, that should lead me to the other novels.

Dunn said:
    You gotta go all in and read every Sanderson Cosmere (his multiverse) book!
    Achaea or books - There can be only one! ... well, not really, but I'll be years reading these books if I pick them all up. 
  • Stormlight Archives is very good.  I enjoyed them immensely.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Dunn said:
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan was a good read. It’s a part of a trilogy but books 2 and 3 are awful. @Makarios will back me up on this one. The first book is a great read and feels like a full picture without the remainder of the books. 
    Book 1: Amazing
    Book 2: Ehh
    Book 3: Awful
  • Dunn said:
    The cull instantkill does just that. You basically scythe through them and rip out their spirit writhing in agony, all as their body crumples lifelessly to the ground.
  • edited May 2019
    Pretty sick of the Coalition jumping in on every fight but when Hashan consistently beats them... it makes it a lot better:

Krizal > Ammar, Elon, Gilliam, Zhedan, and myself raided Eleusis. We were met by Coalition forces consisting of Andraste, Waayen, Misukami, Athelas, Faedwyn, Landon, Eril, Sorlia, Dunn, Tarvius, Iyani, Gloern, Bronislav, Jinos, Onofor, Marcael, Braxxus, Jaeide, but we were able to overcome them even after we lost Ammar, and successfully detonated the tank.
  • Wasn’t even in their party. You guys with the 4 man savior squad is pretty funny too. 

• Dunn said:
    The cull instantkill does just that. You basically scythe through them and rip out their spirit writhing in agony, all as their body crumples lifelessly to the ground.
    I wish I could put a death scythe on my shadow scythe.
  • RP wise, why wouldn't the Coalition work together to defend one another when they can? I'd think that's part of the idea of being allied for the duration of this.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited May 2019
    Mroxyl said:
    RP wise, why wouldn't the Coalition work together to defend one another when they can? I'd think that's part of the idea of being allied for the duration of this.
    Because then the 'teth jump in and people whine about them being op.

Personally,  I am all fine with the coalition banding together when the 'teth are around, but it feels a little overdone otherwise. Mostly though just sad the 'teth have been away :(

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.