How Would You Encourage Someone to Play?

13»

Comments

• I sometimes want to make a blademaster char, just so I can implement my awesome idea of an interface that translates mouse gestures into different slashes. Perhaps highly impractical for combat efficiency, but cool as hell.
  • I want to encourage someone to play by sitting them down in a room with Cain
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    I want to encourage someone to play by sitting them down in a room with Cain
    Well, it might draw a certain crowd.
  • I just got my partner and roommate to both start playing. I'm pretty new myself, so I just explained to them what was drawing me in. I knew they wouldn't be set back by the lack of graphics, we all play D&D together. My roommate was used to text games having played dwarf fortress (his character actually comes from his DF game.) My partner liked the mythology and roleplaying (she's an ex drama major) but gets frustrated when typing, so I had to get her a system set up with auto-sipping and keys for her attacks to get her to play. They both joined my city, which was nice. I can only hope they stick with it, my roommate started over break and just went back for his next semester so we'll see. Whats funny is that he went off and has been exploring game mechanics and doing newbie tasks alone, won't even party with me, and she spent all night talking with her House and didn't do any combat (thanks Occultists for helping her get into it.)
  • Luastara said:
    I just got my partner and roommate to both start playing. I'm pretty new myself, so I just explained to them what was drawing me in. I knew they wouldn't be set back by the lack of graphics, we all play D&D together. My roommate was used to text games having played dwarf fortress (his character actually comes from his DF game.) My partner liked the mythology and roleplaying (she's an ex drama major) but gets frustrated when typing, so I had to get her a system set up with auto-sipping and keys for her attacks to get her to play. They both joined my city, which was nice. I can only hope they stick with it, my roommate started over break and just went back for his next semester so we'll see. Whats funny is that he went off and has been exploring game mechanics and doing newbie tasks alone, won't even party with me, and she spent all night talking with her House and didn't do any combat (thanks Occultists for helping her get into it.)
    Bolded can't be right, there's no character named Urist.
  • The system actually wouldn't accept his dwarf's name for reasons we could not determine, so he had to butcher it a bit.
  • Ha, fair enough. I'll be on the lookout for newbie dwarves with descriptions ending with "A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry", then.
  • mmm Im honestly not sure if I want to have my loved ones play. Im already trapped within the ever-consuming Achaea black-hole of addiction, but I shall spare them from such a fate :(.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    edited January 2013
    Tahquil said:
    Stickfigure whiteboard movie for the win, Sarapis. Make it so.
    Kingdom of Loathing
    They pretty much own dominate for stick figure games (and it's fun too).
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2013
    Iocun said:
    I sometimes want to make a blademaster char, just so I can implement my awesome idea of an interface that translates mouse gestures into different slashes. Perhaps highly impractical for combat efficiency, but cool as hell.
    I was thinking about implementing BM combat with this when I saw it yesterday: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA#!
    https://leapmotion.com/

Striking would feel so awesome.. Also, I'm so gonna buy this when it comes out.