Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Third Black Wave: Electric Boogaloo

2456751

Comments

  • YgiaYgia Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I'm...
    Excited.

    Scared, but excited.

    This is a big deal, and anyone who cuts it down with "this happens every blah blah" is a douche. If that's you, shoosh. Shushush. Shhhhh.

    I just hope I can find a reason for my character to be less gloomy IC. She's been such a sourpuss lately with all this, as well as everything else. :lol:

    Maybe she needs some processing to get over it. :no_mouth:

    [KIDDING IMMA DUANATHAR AWAY FROM ANY TSOLTETH I SEE GET OUTTA HERE]
    KrizalTorinn
  • MroxylMroxyl Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    It's theoretically interesting. I'm not a huge part of it, as I don't like pvp and don't have the reflexes and such to attempt joining the big fights. Fighting the Tide is fun for a bit, and seeing people coordinate to do things is something I like.

    I admire the work of those who have developed this and are putting it on. It's been interesting to watch.
    Iloisee
  • AyaniAyani Member Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I have never felt so utterly powerless in my life as a player and as my character! I knew I could not be here right at the start and to log in amidst the mayhem was crazy.  At the same time, I'm loving every single moment of this. This is the first time I've participated in an event on this magnitude and nature. It's frustrating and seriously daunting. Curious to see the outcome and seriously motivated to script some new things to help fight the next battle. So glad I could be a part of this! Thank you, Achaea.
    JinosIloisee
  • AstarodAstarod Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Ayani said:
    I have never felt so utterly powerless in my life as a player and as my character! I knew I could not be here right at the start and to log in amidst the mayhem was crazy.  At the same time, I'm loving every single moment of this. This is the first time I've participated in an event on this magnitude and nature. It's frustrating and seriously daunting. Curious to see the outcome and seriously motivated to script some new things to help fight the next battle. So glad I could be a part of this! Thank you, Achaea.
    Cut yourself some slack! You've been invaluable in some of the situations I've been in with these damned shrines. I'm certain that you will learn in strides and feel more in control of the situation in no time!
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."
    AyaniJinosIloisee
  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 2,016 @ - Epic Achaean
    Now I'm officially pissed that the best I can muster for the next 4 days (when I should be done imaging drives and have a week of running a couple scripts on the data) is forum lurking.

    DorielTorinnSiduri
  • SyndraSyndra Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I actually got misty eyed seeing Blu get taken over and forced to destroy the crater. I had to take a step away so I could hold it together and make the appropriate IC decisions for Mhaldor. It was very intense. There was a lot of "Wow" when we all read HELP CYRENE. 
    JinosDorielSiduriIloisee
  • DorielDoriel Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited April 26
    Caelan said:
    Now I'm officially pissed that the best I can muster for the next 4 days (when I should be done imaging drives and have a week of running a couple scripts on the data) is forum lurking.
    Same here, I’ll be working during most of the day everyday  until Monday, so I’ll likely get to watch my city burn from forums and discord. Frustrating but what can ya do.
    Caelan
  • SynthusSynthus Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I've been trying to mull over how I feel about the event for a while now. I just recently came back from a very long break and started getting my systems and stuff put back together. Before I begin, let me say that I appreciate the work and effort that has been put into the world of Achaea, and I appreciate the fact that you guys are trying to come up with events that always push the envelope. That being said, my IC perspectives and OOC perspectives vary wildly, and my OOC perspective isn't favorable.

    From an in-character perspective, watching Cyrene fall into enemy hands was absolutely crushing for Synthus. It was always a place where he felt safe, always a place he considered home. Now though, even when or if Cyrene comes back into Cyrenean hands, he will always be terrified of it falling again. In the meantime, he's joined the Resistance, will serve in whatever capacity he can, and if given the chance to throw caution to the wind and attack, no one is going to be able to hold him back.

    From a player perspective... guys... What in the world are you thinking? You have guys with plot armor so thick even Sir Mix-a-lot is going "That's too big for me" kicking down the doors of the city with the most non-combat citizens, laying absolute waste to anyone inside with that Litany, and then you lock the entire city off. I wouldn't be as mad about this if walking into Cyrene from the Muurn had an insurmountable spawn of Tide-warped guards just eviscerate the ever-loving hell out of you, or hell, even a dominated Blu if you really want to drive that home, but no, you warp us off to the resurrection cave with no prompt or anything to explain it. At least throw in something like "The visage of reality bends and warps around you as the Tide begins coalescing around your body. You struggle for breath as the amaranthine fog eventually washes over you, darkness filling your vision as you feel a sudden weightlessness. Moments later you open your eyes, and find yourself sitting outside a familiar cave."

    The fact that for the most part I was getting one or two shotted by everything, even with all the healing and defenses I had going, also really soured the whole event. I can stand toe-to-toe with Tide minions, but the second I square up against Hailqas'an, nope, game over, along with everyone else standing beside me.

    The "Demonstration" may have been badass from a story perspective, and if this were a D&D campaign or something like that, sure, I'd agree, this is the "shit just got real" moment in the campaign. With Achaea though? No. You just cut a portion of your player base off from their main hub without any equivalent replacement or the ability to actively continue their efforts to retake it. Players can't access their banks, houses, or any of the various city NPCs that tie into their tradeskills. In my book, that's a really shitty move.

    I'm sorry, I know I'm being really critical of the event and of the turn it has taken, but I cannot state just how much of a really disappointing and upsetting outcome that was.
    LennIloisee
  • SynthusSynthus Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Torinn said:
    It's important to take a step back and understand that Achaea is a game with an evolving story.  Sometimes that story makes your city into the loser.  Sometimes it makes it into the victor.  People need to take it in stride and understand that to tell a story sometimes things like this have to happen.  I understand your frustrations about plot armor though, for sure.
    I understand, and if it had simply been that Cyrene got the crap beat out of them, maybe had Blu stolen again, the Imperium set on fire, or something like that, then that'd be fine. Sufficiently loserish.

    Mechanically speaking though, locking off the entire city is not fine. It also makes me terrified that Cyrene is about to become Shallam 2: Tide Pod Boogaloo(now available on DVD)
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    ICly, Lenn feels vindicated that Cyrene finally fell to some force they bashed.

    She also doesn't view the tsol'teth as any worse than the chaos court or Mhaldor. They're less accepting of recruits, but that's about it really.

    They're more dangerous, but I'm pretty sure Penwize or Seragorn could kill Lenn nearly as easily.

    The tide isn't much worse than a great hunt to her, and so far it's left the only property she cares about protecting alone, probably for mechanical reasons if it hasn't been a fluke.

    OOCly, I feel accomplished having taken all those pictures. If I had an insta-kill as cheesy as theirs, that'd be five dead tsol'teth, but instead I've immortalized them.

    But I do wish the admin were a bit less kill happy. I know I knew what I was getting into, but it cost me all the wheel exp I got this month, and since I barely break ahead on PVP EXP, that's my main source.

    It was fun, but I don't see why I'd participate in such endeavors any more, though that's partially because albums are pretty awful. Can I even display them? I'd love to put those images on display, but as far as I can tell, it's just a really specialized container. :/
    SynthusMroxyl
  • DorielDoriel Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Synthus said:
    Torinn said:
    It's important to take a step back and understand that Achaea is a game with an evolving story.  Sometimes that story makes your city into the loser.  Sometimes it makes it into the victor.  People need to take it in stride and understand that to tell a story sometimes things like this have to happen.  I understand your frustrations about plot armor though, for sure.
    I understand, and if it had simply been that Cyrene got the crap beat out of them, maybe had Blu stolen again, the Imperium set on fire, or something like that, then that'd be fine. Sufficiently loserish.

    Mechanically speaking though, locking off the entire city is not fine. It also makes me terrified that Cyrene is about to become Shallam 2: Tide Pod Boogaloo(now available on DVD)
    And if Cyrene does get Shallamed, oh well! Shit happens, the game changes, and at the end of the day there are 4 other cities and a village to play in.
    CaelanShirszae
  • ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Player behind one of those 400-year-old plus characters who wasn't entirely enthused about the way last night's event played out.

    Can you blame me, though? Logged in, and died immediately to my own city's guards. Immediate WTF moment. Spent the next hour and a half trying to do anything, anything at all to help, only to get absolutely crushed by the plot train. End up entirely locked out of the city, feeling absolutely powerless, and not knowing whether the city will still exist once this event is over. Not a good feeling. I understand the "your character should be reacting more appropriately to this" mindset, and I agree to some extent - however, as a long-time player, it can be hard to get excited about "potentially world-ending event #284", especially when that excitement is currently tempered by the OOC reaction of "fuck this fucking event and everyone who's fucking running it".

    My 2 cents, FWIW.
    SynthusTelendriethMroxylBoosteya
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yeah, some people logged into death, sort of an extension of my point about admins being kill happy.

    Though I heard they disabled WALK TO CYRENE, so it might just be an oversight (or technical constraint) that they don't make people who logged off in a litany-besieged city log in elsewhere.
    SynthusBoosteya
  • SynthusSynthus Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Doriel said:
    And if Cyrene does get Shallamed, oh well! Shit happens, the game changes, and at the end of the day there are 4 other cities and a village to play in.
    You're not wrong, shit does happen, the game does change, and there are other options. However, of those options, none really appeal to me as a player, and none of them would be a good fit for Synthus. I also can't imagine I would be the only Cyrenean feeling that way either should we lose our city entirely.

    Then again, if they Shallam Cyrene, who's to say they won't Shallam any of the other cities?

    I realize this may sound antagonizing, so let me preface this by saying I'm asking out of genuine curiosity and not trying to antagonize you: If Ashtan got obliterated by the Tsol'Teth, how would you feel about that as both a player and your character?
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Cyrene being destroyed might actually cause world peace though, as migrants move to all other cities, quickly rising in their respective bureaucratic structures, while maintaining diplomatic ties with their fellow ex-Cyrenians.

    If you don't want a PvE Achaea, do your part now and save Cyrene before it's too late.
    SynthusBoosteya
  • TaryiusTaryius Member Posts: 764 @ - Epic Achaean
    I entirely encourage you all to learn this stuff IC, or at a minimum roleplay out learning about it IC, no matter which city you play in. But, as the world emotes were absolutely chilling I want people to see them, so here you guys go. 

    Riven by some malevolent external force, the tunnel-entrance to Cyrene collapses violently into ruin alongside a deafening crash.


    A pair of dark figures appear in the mountains overlooking Cyrene, twin silhouettes cast into sharp relief by the moonlight as they tread with nonchalant indifference over the newly sundered debris.


    The fractal barrier surrounding Cyrene glows with renewed purpose, surging and swirling with radiant defiance.


    Undeterred, the voice of Ama-maalier rises to an imperious timbre of command, intoning with utmost clarity, "Elud'hailqad."


    Countless writhing shadows churn to life, roiling about the Tsol'teth women in ominous waves of un-light, the haggard faces of Adrik, Mezghar, and Tynil visible amidst the gloam.


    Ama-maalier utters an unspoken command and touches the tip of her sword to the blazing barrier. The shield flickers and the shadow stirs, blank visages coalescing in vague fascimiles of Taryius, Lii, and Iloisee before deliquescing and reforming anew.


    Ammar, Zugath, and Krizal manifest in the darkness, twisted faces bound by ancient magic as the animate shade leaps forward as one abhorrent unit, hammering at the glowing shield in a silent frenzy of unrelenting blows. In moments, the barrier groans a sickening death knell before exploding in a shower of prismatic shards.


    The figures of Silon'ukia and Terrin'tuuran appear, flanking the Dark Hate and Secret Storm as the Tsol'teth quartet look down over Cyrene from their mountainous vantage.


    Morose silence descends, and Ama-maalier steps forward, beckoning her cadre of three to follow and observe.


    Primal terror is all you know as the indomitable tones of The Dark Hate thunder throughout Creation, "Hwarak alshamar osang rach haahl! Kwarak alshamar osang rach haahl! In the name of the eternal darkness, you will all obey ME! Turn on your brethren! Turn on those you love! Slay them all! Hwarak alshamar osang rach haahl..."


    Enraptured by the dread litany, the guards of Cyrene fall to confusion, eyes filled with shadow and smoke. Imperial guardsmen, venerable monks, runic knights, and mountain archers ready themselves for battle, dashing troubadours crooning a baleful anthem in the Tsol'teth tongue all the while.


    An ear-splitting roar thunders across Sapience as the Guardian Dragon attempts to resist the litany's call.


    Unfurling his mighty wings, Blu attempts to take flight but it is in vain: coils of living shadow twine about the draconic figure, suffocating the anguished, agonised howl he looses as captivity takes hold.


    The unyielding tones of Gattan'bahar exude preternatural conviction as she calls out, "Begin."



    -After much slaughter in Cyrene, with only one or two Tsol'teth deaths-



    The unyielding tones of Gattan'bahar exude preternatural conviction as she calls out, "Victory is at hand. Do not falter."


    The maddening buzz of a faint and unintelligible hum underlays the currents of besieged life as sovereignty of the City of Cyrene is claimed on behalf of Tlalaiad, the Genesis.


    The unyielding tones of Gattan'bahar exude preternatural conviction as she calls out, "Secure the city."


    The unyielding tones of Gattan'bahar exude preternatural conviction as she calls out, "The weapon of the line of Nicator has fallen into my grasp. Terrin'tuuran has command."


    Plumes of smoke trail into the sky over Cyrene as the entire city weeps under the weight of protracted battle. In the ruinous aftermath, Ama-maalier and Silon'ukia descend from the mountains, pacing lock-step through the streets as they survey their newly conquered lands.


    Primal terror is all you know as the indomitable tones of The Dark Hate thunder throughout Creation, "Hwarak alshamar osang rach haahl! Kwarak alshamar osang rach haahl! In the name of the eternal darkness, you will all obey ME! Turn on your brethren! Turn on those you love! Slay them all! Hwarak alshamar osang rach haahl..."


    Deadly intent is manifest in every word as Kaama'lier decrees, "Few qualify for processing. Failure is abject."


    Traversing Ministrickle Road, Gattan'bahar joins the parade of conquest, the three Tsol'teth turning their eyes upon the Icerune Crater. Ama-maalier simply nods.


    Primal terror is all you know as the indomitable tones of The Dark Hate thunder throughout Creation, "Bring the Dragon."


    Acquiescing to the Dark Hate's command, waves of living shadow drag the bound and captured form of Blu before the Icerune Crater, his once-majestic form diminished from the Tsol'teth onslaught.


    Opening her mouth a mere fraction, Ama-maalier directs a portion of her might at the Guardian Dragon, her expression cold and remorseless as she imposes her will upon the helpless prisoner.


    A wan, fatigued roar echoes across the City of Cyrene as Blu, the Guardian Dragon once more attempts and fails to resist the litany's call.


    Primal rage manifests in the Dragon's eyes, a rabid frenzy absent of all conscience or mercy. The shadows binding him withdraw, and, drawing himself up to his full height, Blu swiftly manoeuvres his massive draconic form, bringing his immense tail crashing into the Icerune Crater, shattering the font with a single explosive blow.


    His initial purpose served, the Guardian Dragon howls as he finds himself once more inexorably bound in shadows, shackled and ignored amid a nest of font fragments.


    Apparently satisfied, the Dark Hate and her retinue withdraw to the Imperiate's chambers. In their wake, the forces of Anzari-tarin dispatch their guards and begin to establish a perimeter.


    Deadly intent is manifest in every word as Kaama'lier decrees, "Your shields will not save you."


    LennTorinnShirszaeCailin
  • AstarodAstarod Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Synthus said:
    I've been trying to mull over how I feel about the event for a while now. I just recently came back from a very long break and started getting my systems and stuff put back together. Before I begin, let me say that I appreciate the work and effort that has been put into the world of Achaea, and I appreciate the fact that you guys are trying to come up with events that always push the envelope. That being said, my IC perspectives and OOC perspectives vary wildly, and my OOC perspective isn't favorable.

    From an in-character perspective, watching Cyrene fall into enemy hands was absolutely crushing for Synthus. It was always a place where he felt safe, always a place he considered home. Now though, even when or if Cyrene comes back into Cyrenean hands, he will always be terrified of it falling again. In the meantime, he's joined the Resistance, will serve in whatever capacity he can, and if given the chance to throw caution to the wind and attack, no one is going to be able to hold him back.

    From a player perspective... guys... What in the world are you thinking? You have guys with plot armor so thick even Sir Mix-a-lot is going "That's too big for me" kicking down the doors of the city with the most non-combat citizens, laying absolute waste to anyone inside with that Litany, and then you lock the entire city off. I wouldn't be as mad about this if walking into Cyrene from the Muurn had an insurmountable spawn of Tide-warped guards just eviscerate the ever-loving hell out of you, or hell, even a dominated Blu if you really want to drive that home, but no, you warp us off to the resurrection cave with no prompt or anything to explain it. At least throw in something like "The visage of reality bends and warps around you as the Tide begins coalescing around your body. You struggle for breath as the amaranthine fog eventually washes over you, darkness filling your vision as you feel a sudden weightlessness. Moments later you open your eyes, and find yourself sitting outside a familiar cave."

    The fact that for the most part I was getting one or two shotted by everything, even with all the healing and defenses I had going, also really soured the whole event. I can stand toe-to-toe with Tide minions, but the second I square up against Hailqas'an, nope, game over, along with everyone else standing beside me.

    The "Demonstration" may have been badass from a story perspective, and if this were a D&D campaign or something like that, sure, I'd agree, this is the "shit just got real" moment in the campaign. With Achaea though? No. You just cut a portion of your player base off from their main hub without any equivalent replacement or the ability to actively continue their efforts to retake it. Players can't access their banks, houses, or any of the various city NPCs that tie into their tradeskills. In my book, that's a really shitty move.

    I'm sorry, I know I'm being really critical of the event and of the turn it has taken, but I cannot state just how much of a really disappointing and upsetting outcome that was.
    Honestly, I agree. I was with the event last night tooth and nail. I don't mind the plot armor of the tsol'teth, and I certainly don't mind the difficulty of the situation that was presented to us. That said, I can understand plenty of the frustration of the demand of high understanding of what is going on in the event, as well as the stunning wakeup some of these poor Cyrenians were given during and after the event. My only qualm is that Cyrenians really didn't need to get killed by their own guards. Why? You have instant doom, tooros spam, reaps that do insane and intense damage, along with other things! If the tsol'teth were able to do. It just seemed overkill. Then after shredding all these people who can't handle 5 normal pvpers regularly, they lock you out of your city. Ehhhh. While I enjoyed it, I'm not paying the price this month for it. 

    If that happened to Ashtan I'd probably be a lot more mixed in how last night's event went. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."
    LennAdrikTelendriethMroxyl
  • DorielDoriel Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Synthus said:
    Doriel said:
    And if Cyrene does get Shallamed, oh well! Shit happens, the game changes, and at the end of the day there are 4 other cities and a village to play in.
    You're not wrong, shit does happen, the game does change, and there are other options. However, of those options, none really appeal to me as a player, and none of them would be a good fit for Synthus. I also can't imagine I would be the only Cyrenean feeling that way either should we lose our city entirely.

    Then again, if they Shallam Cyrene, who's to say they won't Shallam any of the other cities?

    I realize this may sound antagonizing, so let me preface this by saying I'm asking out of genuine curiosity and not trying to antagonize you: If Ashtan got obliterated by the Tsol'Teth, how would you feel about that as both a player and your character?
    As a player, I’d be pumped. A new challenge to throw myself at in a game I love. As a Character you’d have to find some IC reason to ask Doriel.
    VenderAziik
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I lied, I do have one more reason to participate, and I've also conveniently still got about one death more before I lose all my wheel EXP.
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 5,083 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I get not liking what’s happening and feeling helpless, but we’ve never been helpless. We don’t do the things we need to do, largely because people don’t listen. The admins have a win condition, and we have every ability to stop it. When we don’t, shit hits the fan. 

    Last night everyone was so busy trying to kill guards, we didn’t even notice what they were doing in the city. By the time we noticed it was too late. The opportunity was there for us to win, we missed it.


    You hug Aurora compassionately.
    Siduri
  • AstarodAstarod Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Taryius said:
            
    Yeah, I def am enjoying this event, and, like @Davok said, losing your city or even changing cities can make your character so much more than they were. Hell, Astarod as a character has grown quite a bit since leaving the Court for the Seat. It was a hard change but once made I could not be happier with the results. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Atalkez said:
    I get not liking what’s happening and feeling helpless, but we’ve never been helpless. We don’t do the things we need to do, largely because people don’t listen. The admins have a win condition, and we have every ability to stop it. When we don’t, shit hits the fan. 

    Last night everyone was so busy trying to kill guards, we didn’t even notice what they were doing in the city. By the time we noticed it was too late. The opportunity was there for us to win, we missed it.
    I noticed some of it, partially since my attention was solely on getting nice pictures of the invaders.

    I just didn't point it out, because Cyrene enemied me.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess BellatereMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 3,086 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 26
    Atalkez said:
    I get not liking what’s happening and feeling helpless, but we’ve never been helpless. We don’t do the things we need to do, largely because people don’t listen. The admins have a win condition, and we have every ability to stop it. When we don’t, shit hits the fan. 

    Last night everyone was so busy trying to kill guards, we didn’t even notice what they were doing in the city. By the time we noticed it was too late. The opportunity was there for us to win, we missed it.
    The guards turning against us made narrative sense. From a player pov honestly it just made things so chaotic, it was difficult to get a grasp of the situation. Like, I saw them grabbing corpses, and then they started dropping shrines. But you couldn't walk anywhere because of the guards, and you couldn't see what they were doing. And nobody mentioned they were raising Tlalala shrines until much later. By the time I tried erecting, they already got sovereignty.

    Basically I'm just a dumb. But honestly with the way it was coming apart I'm not sure it'd have done more than delay the inevitable for another few minutes. as far as I can tell, their 'win' condition was probably the sovereignty, but then what was the 'lose'? They were still beating people's asses in. Would they have withdrawn just because we held the place for a little bit longer? Their advantage was still pretty clear.


    Cailin
Sign In to Comment.