Achaea and Rewarding Play

Comments

• Penwize said:
      There are mechanical restrictions that force us to act in certain ways that might seem jarring, but just have to be ignored in order to maintain that immersion.  A lot of it can just be handwaved away as "that's how life is in this world", like how we're constantly smoking several pipes and applying copious amounts of salves through armour and clothing, while paralysed. 

Seems pretty realistic to me bud.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    What the hell is that picture I cannot even...
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • "Why I'm not allowed to enter Artisanals." MSpaint on .png, 2019

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    That's obviously a bard fighting a serpent.
  • Finchy said:
    "Why I'm not allowed to enter Artisanals." MSpaint on .png, 2019
    10 out of 10 would vote for it tho.
  • edited April 2019
    Athelas said:
    Just a thought on OP solution for gold sink:

Athelas and many like him, would empty his bank account regularly, if there was a way to purchase BOUND CREDITS at something like 10,000gp per credit or a more flexible and potentially balanced 75% of CFS average.

As a character, Athelas has zero interest in anything that is not genuinely beneficial so pets and talisman peices rank in the: Maybe-one-day-when-I-have-more-credits-than-Sarapis category.

As a player, the ZAR I earn makes it impossible to purchase credits in USD, due to the exchange rate alone. If it was 8 to 1 or even 10 to 1, I'd have a chance, but at almost 16 to 1 ... no way. So I have to save for a whole year to perhaps be able to buy 1000 credits.

So yea ... gold sink #1 for me: Make bound credits available for a gold cost not as insane as CFS.

Just my 2c
    I love the idea. I even think it would make sense to have this available only to people beneath a certain escrow value or something. 
  • Athelas said:
    Just a thought on OP solution for gold sink:

Athelas and many like him, would empty his bank account regularly, if there was a way to purchase BOUND CREDITS at something like 10,000gp per credit or a more flexible and potentially balanced 75% of CFS average.

As a character, Athelas has zero interest in anything that is not genuinely beneficial so pets and talisman peices rank in the: Maybe-one-day-when-I-have-more-credits-than-Sarapis category.

As a player, the ZAR I earn makes it impossible to purchase credits in USD, due to the exchange rate alone. If it was 8 to 1 or even 10 to 1, I'd have a chance, but at almost 16 to 1 ... no way. So I have to save for a whole year to perhaps be able to buy 1000 credits.

So yea ... gold sink #1 for me: Make bound credits available for a gold cost not as insane as CFS.

Just my 2c
    I remember this being asked elsewhere and was told that, essentially, this is possible. Because you buy them from CFS and bind them yourself so I can't ever see them doing this.  Also, where do those bound credits come from? Credits on CFS come from player purchases, bound credits would need to go against their sole function in order to sell them, so they won't come from players. No chance they will offer them for straight up gold, not given how much people bash in a day, it'll unbalance things way too much. If you are under 40 you get the 50cr from the gamblesale anyway

Bash up gold and buy them from people who can support the game with RL purchases. No shame in that at all. Many people do it, just look at Klendathu. 
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Buscador said:
    just look at Klendathu. 
    Wise words.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    edited April 2019
    Cooper said:
    Laedha said:
    I love the idea. I even think it would make sense to have this available only to people beneath a certain escrow value or something. 
    Um, no. Why should I be punished for supporting the game with my money?
    @Cooper : I'm genuinely thankful, that people like you exist and are able to support a game like Achaea, making it nearly free for people like me.

I can however, counter your statement with: Why should I be punished for being born in a country who's currency can't compete with the all mighty Dollar?

Make no mistake, if I could throw cold hard cash at IRE, I would. Achaea is the one game that sees me return over and over again.

My suggestion was exactly that, just a suggestion. If it would unbalance the game, I'd rather not see it implemented. The harsh reality is that, a game like Achaea, is made fun by it's inherent unfairness. It would be boring if every single character walked around with top tier artefacts.

Am I frustrated that I can't afford to multi-class or PVP at a top tier level? You're damn right I am.
    Do I feel it's unfair that I'll have to bash for an RL year in order to afford a ship for Athelas? Of course!
    Do I get angry at the fact that I have to agonize for RL months over exactly which artefact would be the best to get, with the money I have available? Sure I do.

But then again, that's kind of part of the fun. Sometimes a game is more about what you can not do, than what you can.

I can state this much though: People in my position, we get a much bigger kick out of finally being able to get something as simple as an artefact pipe, than those who log in and buy three after only a day of playing :)

All that being said, I still believe the best move IRE ever made, was the Iron Elite membership. It does go a long way in evening out the proverbial playing field. ;)
  • Athelas said:
    Cooper said:
    Laedha said:
    @Cooper : I'm genuinely thankful, that people like you exist and are able to support a game like Achaea, making it nearly free for people like me.

I can however, counter your statement with: Why should I be punished for being born in a country who's currency can't compete with the all mighty Dollar?

Make no mistake, if I could throw cold hard cash at IRE, I would. Achaea is the one game that sees me return over and over again.

My suggestion was exactly that, just a suggestion. If it would unbalance the game, I'd rather not see it implemented. The harsh reality is that, a game like Achaea, is made fun by it's inherent unfairness. It would be boring if every single character walked around with top tier artefacts.

Am I frustrated that I can't afford to multi-class or PVP at a top tier level? You're damn right I am.
    Do I feel it's unfair that I'll have to bash for an RL year in order to afford a ship for Athelas? Of course!
    Do I get angry at the fact that I have to agonize for RL months over exactly which artefact would be the best to get, with the money I have available? Sure I do.

But then again, that's kind of part of the fun. Sometimes a game is more about what you can not do, than what you can.

I can state this much though: People in my position, we get a much bigger kick out of finally being able to get something as simple as an artefact pipe, than those who log in and buy three after only a day of playing :)

All that being said, I still believe the best move IRE ever made, was the Iron Elite membership. It does go a long way in evening out the proverbial playing field. ;)
    Honestly, while I've done great without artefacts, I'll admit that it's kinda annoying to be out-damaged or taken out by players with L3s and whatnot. Especially knowing health arties would help. Not sure that we should add a bound credits option, but it'd be nice to see a way to bring CFS back down instead of the ever-rising average it seems to be becoming. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • @Astarod  said:
    Honestly, while I've done great without artefacts, I'll admit that it's kinda annoying to be out-damaged or taken out by players with L3s and whatnot. Especially knowing health arties would help. Not sure that we should add a bound credits option, but it'd be nice to see a way to bring CFS back down instead of the ever-rising average it seems to be becoming. 
    If you want CFS to come back down, please help in asking the admin to be more transparent about how much bashing has affected the rise in credit prices, versus how much of the rising happened during the Seafaring bug abuse, versus the impact of the current form of promotions (straight credit sales vs. globes/spins/caches/talisman pieces/artefact cart/etc).

I don't have 100% of the answer, but I have the data that shows the credit market was not rising at all* before the change to promotions happened. I can also tell you that the increase accelerated rapidly during the Seafaring bug time frame.

I am also confident (but not certain) that our current admin in Achaea are being held back by someone(s) that they cannot control on talking about this.

*The market naturally fluctuates, and I do not consider a price consistently hovering +/- 15% to be a rise or fall in average price. Your view on that may vary.

Regarding health/artefacts - increasing your health helps tons vs denizens, but not nearly as much vs players. If you want to survive 1v1, buy a sip ring and regen. If you want to last a bit longer in groups, buy bracelet/constitution. If you want to be most effective as far as "how much can I heal over a prolonged period of time", use this Google doc I made years ago and is out dated...just kidding, just opened it and at some point it has been broken. General idea is to upgrade things at an equal rate (don't have a level 1 sip ring and level 3 girdle if you want to save credits - level 2 of each would be more efficient specifically regarding how much you heal over time).

• Cooper said:
    @Astarod  said:
    If you want CFS to come back down, please help in asking the admin to be more transparent about how much bashing has affected the rise in credit prices, versus how much of the rising happened during the Seafaring bug abuse, versus the impact of the current form of promotions (straight credit sales vs. globes/spins/caches/talisman pieces/artefact cart/etc).

I don't have 100% of the answer, but I have the data that shows the credit market was not rising at all* before the change to promotions happened. I can also tell you that the increase accelerated rapidly during the Seafaring bug time frame.

I am also confident (but not certain) that our current admin in Achaea are being held back by someone(s) that they cannot control on talking about this.

*The market naturally fluctuates, and I do not consider a price consistently hovering +/- 15% to be a rise or fall in average price. Your view on that may vary.

Regarding health/artefacts - increasing your health helps tons vs denizens, but not nearly as much vs players. If you want to survive 1v1, buy a sip ring and regen. If you want to last a bit longer in groups, buy bracelet/constitution. If you want to be most effective as far as "how much can I heal over a prolonged period of time", use this Google doc I made years ago and is out dated...just kidding, just opened it and at some point it has been broken. General idea is to upgrade things at an equal rate (don't have a level 1 sip ring and level 3 girdle if you want to save credits - level 2 of each would be more efficient specifically regarding how much you heal over time).

Thanks! I got sip(1)-reserves(1)-reserves(2) and now I'm thinking Sip(2) before Con(1),
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Cooper said:
    @Astarod  said:
    If you want to pwn, buy a reflect wand.

FTFY.
  • Shhhh, they'll nerf it.

• I want one of those skype AI's to impersonate an NPC. See what the evolve into.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Do you remember Tay?

• Cooper said:
    Laedha said:
    Not getting a benefit that some people get is not being punished. The ability to buy bound credits at a fixed gold price would HUGELY benefit the people who are unable to spend much real world money on the game but they would still end up saving up for real life months just for one artefact. The player population is shrinking and making it slightly more manageable to play without dropping a bunch of money might help retain people long enough for them to feel like the game is worth some real life investment. I wouldn't qualify either, probably--that's fine. I like having more people to play with. 
  • Laedha said:
    Cooper said:
    Laedha said:
    Not getting a benefit that some people get is not being punished. The ability to buy bound credits at a fixed gold price would HUGELY benefit the people who are unable to spend much real world money on the game but they would still end up saving up for real life months just for one artefact. The player population is shrinking and making it slightly more manageable to play without dropping a bunch of money might help retain people long enough for them to feel like the game is worth some real life investment. I wouldn't qualify either, probably--that's fine. I like having more people to play with. 
    It would create a perverse incentive where you don't want to spend actual money on the game until you reach the escrow limit.
  • IMO: Artifacts were always a bonus to those who had disposable income, and wanted to support the game via RL cash.  I think the credit market already makes a conversion from OOC money to IG currency possible.  Making it so it is cheaper, and those who actually bought the credits get less ROI seems like a bad thing, no?

• That seems like the intuitive answer, right? 

The reality is that we actually don't need gold for much, and a good chunk of the gold we do use goes directly to another player and is recycled in the system. So that greatly reduces the need to buy credits irl to sell them for gold. Most players can sustain themselves from bashing/questing alone.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited April 2019
    Caelan said:
    IMO: Artifacts were always a bonus to those who had disposable income, and wanted to support the game via RL cash.  I think the credit market already makes a conversion from OOC money to IG currency possible.  Making it so it is cheaper, and those who actually bought the credits get less ROI seems like a bad thing, no?
    As a free player for several years who now buys credits, I might agree if it weren't for the following
    1. crafting licenses cost 200 credits apiece (plus lessons). This isn't a -necessary- thing to play the game, but it's an avenue cut off if you don't have significant amounts of credits, and is something most people don't think of when they think of 'artefacts'.
    2. Efficacy of bashing for obtaining credits depends on how many other people are doing the same thing. The more people are trying to get credits IG, the harder it's going to be to get them. When people don't oocly buy credits and fill out the supply, the prices climb painfully... especially for a free player who doesn't have bashing arties.
    3. The attitude of other players, whenever someone hits any difficulty, of 'get X artefact, it'll solve your problem/make your life easier'. This one's entirely on the playerbase, and it's been pervasive as long as I've played. If you say you can't afford artefacts, the answer is somewhere between "Oh. -awkward silence-" and "Well I guess you're just screwed then". Which is pretty disheartening.

tl;dr credits, and items bought with credits, are more integral to the playing experience than just nice fillips bought with disposable income.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • The playerbase used to be close enough to help mitigate this: some players would buy artifacts for others because they wanted to pass something into their youngins or an Order Head who appreciates the work someone puts in goes halfsies with an Order mate to cover the cost of a Custom Sip Ring for a peer. And it meant that much more to the player as a result. 

• That type of thing still happens.

• I've been playing ten years and it's always happened but it's always been rare.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited April 2019
    Cooper said:
    That type of thing still happens.
    Yeah how the hell do you think @Astarod has arties...

Before that it was @Datrius.  I have a bad habit of buying people shit.