TL;DR: I'm making a MUSHclient system for blind players. Track its progress here!
MUSHclient is the best client option right now for blind players who want to enjoy the most immersive and fast-paced parts of Achaea. However, with the advent of newer and more feature-rich clients like Mudlet, there aren't many players creating scripts for MUSH. Those people who do create scripts tend to keep them to themselves--probably because it's easier to make something tailored to your own specific goals and use cases. In the spirit of "worse is better" I have started a Github repository where I will share some of the work I have done building out my own system. My goal is to create a framework that anyone interested can use and build upon for their own individual needs. I also hope this can be a collaborative effort; pull requests and feature suggestions are more than welcome.
Right now there are only a few basic commits, mostly to track gmcp messages in the world namespace and take commas out of the prompt for faster reading.
I'm posting here to get thoughts from people who might want to use this system. What features are you missing in Achaea? What would make your gameplay more accessible, enjoyable, etc? here are a few ideas I have.
Short-term goals (within the next week or so):
- Change local gmcp tables to match their json labels (eg: fix Room.Info to be gmcp.Room.Info). This will mean gmcp messages will be standard.
- Add gold tracker.
- Implement my (very clunky) name database code.
- Add my MUSHclient version of tempTimer.
- Add channel history plugin (alt+1-0 reads last ten messages, alt+right/left navigates through channels, etc.)
Longer term projects, in order of priority / ability to implement:
- Abstracted PlayGameSound functions. Play one or a random selection of sounds for various events. Sounds not included.
- Rift tracking (sort rift by quantity, show only things you are low or full on, etc.)
- Affliction and defense tracking (add / remove / stacks)
- Offense tracking (limb counter, eat / smoke / salve tracker, etc). This will take a while to fully implement.
- Mapper with goto functionality. (Another big one.)
I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Feel free to reach out either in this thread or in game.https://github.com/achaea-oracle/oracle