Achaea and Rewarding Play

Comments

• Jiraishin said:

-The time deathsights showed Hatha'yin being sacrificed and we went to talk to people who might know about Kashar. I dealt with two denizens then: Kavaya and a priestess of Nerry in his public temple. Said priestess was quite nice. Kavaya was less superior than sarcastic and frustrated that everyone seemed to think she knew everything about Kashar despite  a) being a young slave when she lived there and b) having not seen it for hundreds of years. I loved that interaction, actually.
    Kavaya was actually incredibly rude, and I have no idea why!

Kavaya says, "I believe they would do anything. Filthy slavers."

Kavaya spits on the ground in disgust.

Kavaya says, "Nobody should ever be forced to wear shackles."

(The Mhaldorian Covenent): Melodie says, "No one tell her."

• Taryius said:
    Jiraishin said:

-The time deathsights showed Hatha'yin being sacrificed and we went to talk to people who might know about Kashar. I dealt with two denizens then: Kavaya and a priestess of Nerry in his public temple. Said priestess was quite nice. Kavaya was less superior than sarcastic and frustrated that everyone seemed to think she knew everything about Kashar despite  a) being a young slave when she lived there and b) having not seen it for hundreds of years. I loved that interaction, actually.
    Kavaya was actually incredibly rude, and I have no idea why!

Kavaya says, "I believe they would do anything. Filthy slavers."

Kavaya spits on the ground in disgust.

Kavaya says, "Nobody should ever be forced to wear shackles."

(The Mhaldorian Covenent): Melodie says, "No one tell her."

She made me unhide :( But listening to her complain was worth it

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I'd like to think there's more options than 'Perfectly respectful' and 'wow you adventurers sure are morons'. I think there's a time and place for it, and it's certainly been fitting in some of the interactions I've seen. I just think sometimes it's there's a middle ground that could be explored instead.

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • Cyr said:
    I'd like to think there's more options than 'Perfectly respectful' and 'wow you adventurers sure are morons'. I think there's a time and place for it, and it's certainly been fitting in some of the interactions I've seen. I just think sometimes it's there's a middle ground that could be explored instead.
    Most of what I've seen has been middle ground.

• Jiraishin said:
    Cyr said:
    I'd like to think there's more options than 'Perfectly respectful' and 'wow you adventurers sure are morons'. I think there's a time and place for it, and it's certainly been fitting in some of the interactions I've seen. I just think sometimes it's there's a middle ground that could be explored instead.
    Most of what I've seen has been middle ground.
    Fair enough.

• At every single event adventurers usually disprove the aphorism 'there's no such thing as a stupid question'

Plus the threat of power doesn't mean much when denizens get revived by Ugrach too
  • Shirszae said:
    I personally like it, because it gives us the excuse to treat them in belittling ways as well.To me its more interesting than perfectly-respectful denizens and people fawning obsequiously over them, even those who clearly don't deserve the treatment.
    It's a bit lame to watch people belittle each other so pointlessly all the time. Shouts, news posts, events, all a non-stop stream of empty negativity.
  • edited March 2019
    It can make for some interesting- if hilarious, sometimes- conversations, when the responses are a bit more subtle.
    (Savants): Figia, the librarian's assistant says, "In this case, your efforts have concretely established that attempting to fight the Caefir's warding with a single sacrifice is clearly not sufficient. In the center of one of their religiously protected towns. Before one of their regularly sanctified places of worship."
    There have definitely been times where it got to the point of people having the mindset of, "Why even bother?" because things were going nowhere, no matter what was tried, though.

• Taryius said:

I'm just saying, I wouldn't really knock some of them for being fed up with us.

Psh, denizens love me.
    Or want to love me, as the case may be.
    Shaylee, Lady of the Waves flutters her eyelashes at you.

You have emoted: Jiraishin smiles crookedly at Shaylee, Lady of the Waves.

Shaylee, Lady of the Waves says, "Perhaps you will make a good concubine,
    Prey."

• Well that seems like a win.  Other than the Prey part.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited March 2019
    Though, to flip that perspective, 90% of our interactions with denizens are canned responses and asking us to solve their problems for them, some of them as simple as walking a few rooms, grabbing an item, and walking back.

I'm not sure where the admin stance is on customisations being created by adventurers, but since some of the restrictions are that adventurers can't create those items, this implies that adventurers can create other customised items, which would presumably include artefacts too. I could be wrong here, but one of the rules is that a custom item (including artefacts) can't have its roots in historical lore, implying heavily that all custom artefacts are made either by adventurers or player-imagined background NPCs.

Likewise, though adventurers might not reach the level of gods or demigods when it comes to stolen skills, they do reach a fairly decent level of competency, sometimes within months of their first exposure.

And although it's true that adventurers die quite often, aside from weirdos like Lenn, I think the vast majority of them have pretty insane kill/death ratios against denizens. I somehow doubt Penwize, for example, has died two and a half million times, but he's sure close to having killed that many things.
  • edited March 2019
    Pyori said:
    It can make for some interesting- if hilarious, sometimes- conversations, when the responses are a bit more subtle.
    (Savants): Figia, the librarian's assistant says, "In this case, your efforts have concretely established that attempting to fight the Caefir's warding with a single sacrifice is clearly not sufficient. In the center of one of their religiously protected towns. Before one of their regularly sanctified places of worship."
    There have definitely been times where it got to the point of people having the mindset of, "Why even bother?" because things were going nowhere, no matter what was tried, though.
    Ah yes, I think that was mishandled. Figia was spoken to and she'll be 'sent to the island of misfit assistants' if she behaves that way again. Don't get me wrong, I love 98% of denizen/player interactions, however that was just long-winded and undercut participation from the get-go. We had someone working on something alone for awhile under pressure from leadership with very little direction and support- not a pleasant experience. A week of stress trying to make something cool, short, and sweet that composed of research and whatnot. 

Honestly, @Shirszae, from now on I'm using your outlook: 
    I personally like it, because it gives us the excuse to treat them in belittling ways as well.

Apologies for this mini-rant, I just am a huge fan of divine interaction (even when it's not positive), this was just more of a series diatribes and frankly only a few people deserve that. 

My favorite denizen interaction had to have been Damaris, in Hashan. Poor gal always tried to enact change! I really did enjoy some of my days there, and I wholly believe that Twilight made my time there have meaning. It's hard to explain. Leaving Twiguy was far harder than leaving Hashan. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Astarod said:
    Pyori said:
    Ah yes, I think that was mishandled. Figia was spoken to and she'll be 'sent to the island of misfit assistants' if she behaves that way again.
    To clarify, I don't think that interaction was bad. Hence the line directly before the quote. As far as denizen interactions go that I've seen, that one was actually rather decent... The statement after the quote, was regarding some pretty... Poor ones- to put it nicely- that I've seen in the past, over the years of playing IRE games.
    There's good interactions, and there's awful ones. Oftentimes it's the awful ones that stick out, and you remember for ages.

• Pyori said:
    Astarod said:
    Pyori said:
    Ah yes, I think that was mishandled. Figia was spoken to and she'll be 'sent to the island of misfit assistants' if she behaves that way again.
    To clarify, I don't think that interaction was bad. Hence the line directly before the quote. As far as denizen interactions go that I've seen, that one was actually rather decent... The statement after the quote, was regarding some pretty... Poor ones- to put it nicely- that I've seen in the past, over the years of playing IRE games.
    There's good interactions, and there's awful ones. Oftentimes it's the awful ones that stick out, and you remember for ages.
    I think the biggest problem with that one from what I know (which is actually a fair amount in this case) was the timing was a bit unfortunate for one of the main people involved. With them having just gotten done with another conversation that was likely not a ton of fun for them, and entirely unrelated to the issue that was brought up by Figia. However the fact that there are apparently some people who don't understand why the Figia stuff happened, or the message that was being conveyed is somewhat concerning. 

• Vastar said:
    aptly-described
    excuse You
  • I’d love to hear the background on that damn Stormshaper

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Atalkez said:
    I’d love to hear the background on that damn Stormshaper
    Not telling. Seekrit.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • I just want to know the ridiculous skill rank names for NPCs who are beyond transcendent.

It's always been very silly that the system implies characters reach levels beyond natural understanding... oh, but the lore says they're only novices.
  • Vastar said:

Just remember that if you do want to start trash talking Zsarachnor, Glaaki, or their ilk, you may have murder coming your way!
    I miss big Z turning up at the Cyrenedome because someone was thick enough to try and banter. 

• Also, it's pretty awesome the tash'la respect legendary smiths. It's probably the only example of denizens respecting adventurers I've actually personally seen, but kudos to whoever did that!
  • CyrCyr
    edited March 2019
    Lenn said:
    Also, it's pretty awesome the tash'la respect legendary smiths. It's probably the only example of denizens respecting adventurers I've actually personally seen, but kudos to whoever did that!
    I have (in character) a couple of relationships with denizens built on mutual respect in the game. I also have a couple where there's some tension. 

@Vastar Thanks for responding, it's an interesting read. I think (well I know as far as myself, but for some of the people I've talked to) the problem isn't any single incident. Personally I've had a couple where I felt it could have been played differently by the Admin, but like I said before I don't think any of them were hard to justify by themselves. The problem is that it feels like nearly every event we're seeing the 'Adventurers are idiots' denizen attitude play out, and for some of us, it's starting to feel a bit overdone (obviously I don't have all the data).  

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Armali said:
    Maybe in nearly every event, adventurers act like idiots?
    no u
  • If you get treated like an idiot by divine controlled denizens frequently, you might want to consider if you're being rude, inconsiderate, or just lack knowledge during those situations. Outside of a couple normal interactions, I don't have that happen to me unless what I did was asking for it.