Is there any way to grow a forest? Can enough Planting (Harvesting Skill Ability) do so?

I really want to grow forests in Achaea. THAT is my art. How much gardening is possible and what Planting does is still questionable to me. Does Reclamation skill make an area ‘Forest’ land?

Best Answers

Answers

• Armali said:
    Planting places new herbs in a room that could plausibly support them. Reclamation makes plants grow. You cannot make a new forest.
    But what if you used Reclamation to make plants grow then Planted herbs in that area?

• Caelan said:
    Basically that.

You can transfer plants to new rooms but only if they already support that plant.  It is only really necessary after the room has been destroyed by fire or necronancers Exterminating (an ability they have to gain more essence).  

Reclamation is useable on Mhaldor isle and is Nature's way of exterminating the red fog that kills plant life on their wretched patch of land.
    Also if one cannot grow a forest from scratch, then can one at least expand on a pre-existing forest into non-forest areas?
  • However, it would be pretty nifty for Eleusis to reach out to admins and see if the birth of a new forest could be an envisageable event.

• Caelan said:
    Obviously the usual forest rooms would stay,

Not so obvious at all. If this mechanic of forest expansion was implemented, I assume there would be a mirror-mechanic where forests (including "normal" forests) could be destroyed. If not, we're back to the situation before vifification (one active side in the conflict, and one that can only react) except reversed. It would seem strange to upend that balance now that it has been put in place. Would probably have to give non-forestal and non-necromancers some way of reversing both artificial forests and destroyed forests too.

I suppose some system where every city has a way of spreading their influence could be interesting (e.g. tentacle lands for Ashtan, some holy land for Targossas, something wellspring-related for Hashan, and ideally something not silly for Cyrene), but to give a single city a unique mechanic seems like a recipe for resentment.
  • edited March 2019
    Ysela said:

I suppose some system where every city has a way of spreading their influence could be interesting (e.g. tentacle lands for Ashtan, some holy land for Targossas, something wellspring-related for Hashan, and ideally something not silly for Cyrene), but to give a single city a unique mechanic seems like a recipe for resentment.
    This sounds similar to demesnes in Lusternia.    The mechanic tends to need a way for other factions to undo/overwrite with their particular terrain, which can interfere with the sense of permanence that I think OP was looking for.

OP:   If you wanted to create a forest for others to enjoy (rather than enjoying it on your character in game) you could work towards becoming a mortal builder!

• While it theoretically possible to build your own forest, changes to the game such as this would have to be backed by some very, very strong roleplay. Strong enough to get gods to sit up and take notice and decide to write it into the larger story of the world.
  • Ysela said:
    Caelan said:
    Obviously the usual forest rooms would stay,

Not so obvious at all. If this mechanic of forest expansion was implemented, I assume there would be a mirror-mechanic where forests (including "normal" forests) could be destroyed. If not, we're back to the situation before vifification (one active side in the conflict, and one that can only react) except reversed. It would seem strange to upend that balance now that it has been put in place. Would probably have to give non-forestal and non-necromancers some way of reversing both artificial forests and destroyed forests too.

Was thinking more of the exterm runs back in the day where entire forests were wiped out and then the other time bloodroot and/or moss was super rare.  Though I suppose to a degree this would be interesting either way.  Having the forests de-forested, and the thought of Eleusis not being able to use herbs and being forced to switch to rocks (we dislike the rocks, in theory), could push people to conflict..  I was just throwing out an idea off the top of my head that I had kind of considered before.  Though the spreading influence would add a 'shrine influence' characteristic to Cities/Village influence which might be pretty awesome.  Choking red fog that defoliates/kills plants requiring vivification, Nature overtaking you and tripping you constantly (and if in red fog, reduces essence?), Cyrene gives the pacifism and lovers effect, Ashtan offers some 'chaotic' mental affs.  I left Hashan out because they would just cast shade :D

• The Targossas effect would be spamming everyone with prayer lines that can't be gagged.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Our rooms would just have the player shout, "It cannot be true, I beg of you, make it stop!" while being force-fed terrifying purple illusions upon entry and exit. Not spammy at all, am I right?

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."