Shopkeeping

KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
I find shopkeeping to be a nightmare, especially when trying to juggle inventory to shift things around.

Essentially seems to revolve around trying to have everything you want to do pre-planned and loaded up into various aliases prior to even entering the stockroom, to minimize the time you spend in there.

The issue with this is, sometimes things get bungled up and it can just be a mess and a pain to deal with.

Has anyone come up with or discovered a way to make this more....manageable? Or otherwise have any advice to make it less of a headache?

Comments

• I'm desperate for a shop log or something. It's currently in my IDEA submission. Other than that, no it's still a PITA, though I have minerals and other 'static' inventory set up using aliases.
  • So I know nothing about shops...but I made a little script awhile back. It basically takes a snapshot of a shops stock and then at a later time can automatically tell you the difference from the current stock.

Not sure if if will help, but here's the link:

https://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/403043#Comment_403043

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    That actually does help, @Thaisen . Thanks for sharing!

I really hope that at some point shop stocking and inventory management gets an overhaul to be easier to manage.

• When I used to stock the Naga shop with fresh crops of stolen items, I'd look at info held, journal, and then basically type DROP ITEM#; PRICE ITEM# X BIN # however many times in a word doc, with command separators properly inserted. Then I copied the resulting text wall to clipboard and pasted it upon entering my stockroom. If I screwed up, I'd at most have 3 or so items to fix instead of 20.

I agree that there should be a better in-game way to address this problem rather than relying on c/ping, but in the mean time it's a workaround that doesn't involve aliases.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Did the multi-shop addition get wrapped in this? I have multiple shops, would love to also use this for the other one too. It's working like a charm (so far) though propagating the database almost sent my mudlet into fits.
  • @Syndra if you are asking about my script yes, it should work for multiple shops.

I noticed yesterday that it didn’t handle groups very well. I’ll look into that.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Rangor and Xaden both have excellent shopkeeping scripts to help manage pricing and stock tracking.

Klendathu has an even better one that does manage multiple shops.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    I have been putting off restocking my shop specifically because this is such a pain in the ass. I am dyscalculic, I read item numbers incorrectly all the time, and stocking takes forever because of the number of mistakes I make. I need a script of some sort that captures the item numbers for me, so I don't have to manually enter them. Considering I can barely manage to make a functional alias, I don't see this happening anytime soon, haha. 
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!