Tips For Newbies

EcudanobEcudanob Washington, DC
Hello.

I am a novice priest looking for good resources on priest combat. I would appreciate any and all help.

Comments

• Doing what priests do best, I'm reviving this thread!

I started recently and haven't played too much (just level 11 or so at the moment), but I'm having a little trouble finding some info on what likely may be readily apparent to veterans.

To kick it off, I suppose:

-Spiritual maces:  From what I can find, there are some artefact weapons I can purchase later that are good upgrades, but outside of spending real cash just yet, will I be upgrading this/using a different weapon at any time?  Or is this just the default weapon of choice with the rest of my damage coming from various spells/abs?

-Lessons: I believe I can buy more lessons later for meatspace bucks, but as far as just leveling up from the start, should there be a particular focus for a more solo-oriented priest?  Will I be able to just evenly spend lessons or should that really start narrowing down?

If this should be a new thread, I'll be happy to start one up.  In the meantime, thanks!
  • No, your mace is pretty much the only thing you'll ever use.

You should focus everything into spirituality once you've gotten some basic stuff like Farsee in Vision.
  • Perfect, thank you!

I'll spend a bit more time digging through help files to piece other bits together, but if there are general, more meta pieces of advice for my journey through the priesthood, I'm all ears.
  • Outside of some non-class specific stuff, Priests only use maces as weapons. If you don't buy an artefact, the one you summon is the weapon you'll always be using.

For lessons, Spirituality will be your primary focus as that increases your ability to hunt. You will probably want to invest small amounts in Devotion (at least 7 to get Hands), Survival (to Selfishness), and Vision (Squint is extremely useful). Zeal is a new skill so not sure how that affects lesson learning.
  • Probably up to whatever the earthshield equivalent is. Or the endurance blessing, at least, depending how far down the ES equivalent is. Low level priest bashing murdered endurance from what I remember.

• @Antonius Survival is now linked to level, not lessons, iirc.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited February 2019
    All the protection/resistance buffs seem to be low level, so if it's not too much (<100), then getting to Protection in Zeal might be a good idea too.

Priests are tightly bound into Targossian RP, especially these new skills, which means interacting with other players and being social. These games are kind of boring solo, unless you're just using it as a relaxation tool via repetitive, low-focus actions (bashing).
  • Armali said:
    All the protection/resistance buffs seem to be low level, so if it's not too much (<100), then getting to Protection in Zeal might be a good idea too.

Priests are tightly bound into Targossian RP, especially these new skills, which means interacting with other players and being social. These games are kind of boring solo, unless you're just using it as a relaxation tool via repetitive, low-focus actions (bashing).

No, that's still boring.
  • Jiraishin said:
    @Antonius Survival is now linked to level, not lessons, iirc.
    Yep. I totally forgot about that. The rest is still valid though.
  • Armali said:

Thanks very much for the quick input, all!

The relaxation via grinding is some part of it, at least while I get my footing in the game (not a total MUD newbie, but never stuck too far with just one).  I'm certainly open to the social/RP aspects once those initial "how I mine fish" moments are fewer and further in between.  I'm a big fan of the class overall in terms of flavor.