Looking for Artefact suggestion and monk armour question

As the title suggests- have some artefact questions and looking for some suggestions. I'm mainly hunting right now but artefacts that benefit 1v1 as well are cool.

Already have Lvl 1 strength, health regen ring, knuckles and crit pendent (all lvl 1)- race is human (man-at-arms) @ 15 strength. I have 1350cr and the no-brainer credit package if recommendation needs a top up.

First question is- can monks use the shield of absorption armour artefact (Aeneaous paragon)? And if yes, is this a good next artefact and is a Rondel required or are they just to have customization/2 paragons/no need to set paragon in new armour after decay?

Beyond getting the Armour SoA, I’m open to suggestions of what to get next- there would be 300 remaining if only getting the Aeneous paragon. As you can see from what I've gotten already, I've followed what many suggest around here that having many lvl 1 artefacts are better than only having a couple 2/3's as those can be quite pricey for the extra +1. 

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Comments

• Armour SOA should really only be looked at once you've exhausted most other Artefact options, was certainly the case for me on my Runewarden, as the cost is really high when you include Armour, rondel, embrasure and paragon itself. As a monk you have a number of damage mitigation elements for both hunting and PvP which are already extremely useful when used correctly.

Personally, I'd got for lvl 1 bracelets and / or sip ring first to boost health and healing as those are useful in all scenarios. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited February 2019
    Sobriquet said:
    Armour SOA should really only be looked at once you've exhausted most other Artefact options, was certainly the case for me on my Runewarden, as the cost is really high when you include Armour, rondel, embrasure and paragon itself. As a monk you have a number of damage mitigation elements for both hunting and PvP which are already extremely useful when used correctly.

Personally, I'd got for lvl 1 bracelets and / or sip ring first to boost health and healing as those are useful in all scenarios. 
    Like, one bajillion percent disagree.

SoA is single handedly one of the best hunting arties in the game.  Also one of the best 1v1 arties in the game when fighting against a physical class.  There's a reason that, if you browse the forums, you'll notice that in every single "what artie to buy thread" SoA is always at the top of the list.

Amour isn't expensive unless you dick around with crazy modifiers.
    You don't need a rondel for your first paragon.  You only need a rondel to add more past the first.
    You can't customise artie armour until you rondel it (but that's purely cosmetic).
    You'll have to get an embrasure for your armour, but you're in Cyrene.  There's a ton of nice people who can do it for you if you provide commodities.

After SoA, work on your defensive stats. Consitution, reserves, health_sip, health_regen.  Cooper has a spreadsheet for value, but you'll need to play with the numbers because it hasn't been updated since the health rescaling.  The general premise should be the same regardless.
  • Yes, SOA is great for those that can wield a shield. Monks can't and they have other elements to assist with defense, plus at 1000cr the SOA Paragon is more expensive and does less than the shield.

Is it awesome? yes, it's why I have a shield and a paragon so I can use the feature in all classes I have access to, I just wouldn't suggest it as a first artie for a monk, whereas I would 200% recommend an SOA for a class that can wield one.

• Sobriquet said:
    Yes, SOA is great for those that can wield a shield. Monks can't and they have other elements to assist with defense, plus at 1000cr the SOA Paragon is more expensive and does less than the shield.

Is it awesome? yes, it's why I have a shield and a paragon so I can use the feature in all classes I have access to, I just wouldn't suggest it as a first artie for a monk, whereas I would 200% recommend an SOA for a class that can wield one.
    He's mainly hunting.  He already has baseline defensive stats.  SoA paragon is obvious next choice for value.
  • edited February 2019
    Sobriquet said:
    Yes, SOA is great for those that can wield a shield. Monks can't
    Monks can wield a shield. The only class that can't to my knowledge are BM and elementals. Tekura needs to unwield to permit punches and Shikudo needs to use their staff, but for every other moment bar deliverance the monk can and should be wielding a SoA.
    For OP, if you want to pvp I'd advise getting a lvl 2 diadem and a RoF. Should fit your limit, I'm not sure what artefacts cost anymore. If you want to hunt upgrade your pendant if you're not a pussy, get girdle and sip ring if you are.
    And go xoran.
  • Iakimen said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Monks can wield a shield. The only class that can't to my knowledge are BM and elementals. Tekura needs to unwield to permit punches and Shikudo needs to use their staff, but for every other moment bar deliverance the monk can and should be wielding a SoA.
    For OP, if you want to pvp I'd advise getting a lvl 2 diadem and a RoF. Should fit your limit, I'm not sure what artefacts cost anymore. If you want to hunt upgrade your pendant if you're not a pussy, get girdle and sip ring if you are.
    And go xoran.
    (This Guy is top-tier monk. Follow his advice.)
  • Iakimen said:
    upgrade your pendant if you're not a pussy

(And a misogynist to boot)
  • Iakimen said:
    Sobriquet said:
    And go xoran.
    Elementals can, and my saying a Monk can't was more that they needed both hands to fight rather than a class restriction like BM

• Should be wielding shield with everything telepathy related, and prone situations mainly. Unwield in every Tekura combo

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Thanks for the suggestions- need some info/clarification though around the SoA v Aeneaous paragon discussion

-I was aware that monks can wield shields (no class restriction) and these are particularly useful for telepathy/kaido/prone/ect, however due to the limitation of not being able to wield during Tekura combo wouldn’t the Aeneous paragon achieve the same effect as the SoA but provide protection during off balance Tekura combos. When unwielding shield to combo, you’re not getting the cut/blunt reduction and 15% chance of physical attack absorption correct? Though I don’t have much PvP experience to comment on how much time a monk spends executing Tekura combos vs Kaido/Telepathy (my guess is this is based on multiple factors such class you are fighting, and what the ideal kill method is in the situation) isn’t SoA less effective since it is periodically ‘down’ with tekura and almost always ‘down’ when hunting (assuming not Int spec and using mind crush as hunting ability)?

-I guess the main question is this- Is the main different between the SoA and Paragon just price (200cr- not counting Rondel or embrasure materials/effort) in exchange gaining benefits of the artefact while executing Teukura Combo’s and not having to integrate wield/unwield mechanics(small bonus for those with less coding experience)?  

Again, thanks for the help and discussion around this.

• You don't get the benefit from the shield if it's not wielded, correct. The shield is a good value item to have down the road, but especially for hunting with tekura, it's not something you should prioritize purchasing. The paragon is going to be more useful across the board.

• The real reason the paragon is often regarded as worse is because it doesn't convey the 11%/11% cutting and blunt resistance the SoA provides when wielded. It -only- has the 15% chance for damage absorption.

It is a good artefact, but the cost for effect tends to put other defensive arties higher on the purchase list.
  • I don’t recommend Artie armour anything because it’s an insane cost imo. Yes, it is better across the board, but you’ll spend more credits for it

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Taryius said:
    The real reason the paragon is often regarded as worse is because it doesn't convey the 11%/11% cutting and blunt resistance the SoA provides when wielded. It -only- has the 15% chance for damage absorption.

It is a good artefact, but the cost for effect tends to put other defensive arties higher on the purchase list.
    Oh damn, didn't realize this with the cut/blunt mitigation- this makes so much more sense to me now why monks go through the effort to wield/unwield between Tekura combos.