Zeal

For all new priests, Congrats!!. Any thoughts, comments, or questions on the ability?

Comments

• Indeed!

The abilities within ^_^
  • Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas
  • Also relevant to the new skill:
    Inquisition (Devotion)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Known: Yes<br>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Syntax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; PERFORM INQUISITION <target><br>Works on/against:&nbsp; Adventurers<br>Cooldown:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3.50 seconds of equilibrium<br>Resource:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 500 devotion and 500 mana<br>Details:<br>You are the scales upon which the sacrilege of those who oppose the<br>Light may be measured. Paved in holy flame, Inquisition is the surest<br>path to reckoning. By reciting the crimes of a heretic, you may sentence<br>their minds and bodies to condemnation, lowering their mental<br>rehealing from elixirs, wracking their body, drastically increasing the<br>mental energy needed to focus their mind, and making the fire that burns<br>their skin impossible to extinguish.<br><br>The inquisition can only be brought into being against a target<br>suffering from both the spiritburn and guilt afflictions.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    All I got to say is stop dangling carrots to the toothless, man.

(But really, super curious how it all works now. It looks pretty nifty.)
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • At first glance, it appears priests have become bards with better flavor.
  • edited February 2019
    So the ultimate skill of a priest is to tell them about the Seven truths and to think about it real hard. 

• Elisella said:
    At first glance, it appears priests have become bards with better flavor.

Probably not in the way you're thinking. Its not obvious without using the skills but the prayer balance is more like alchemist temper than it is like voicecraft or entity balance (or indeed, old elemental balance). It requires balance so you recite/smite, wait for balance, recite/smite rather than recite/smite/recite while off bal/smite on bal etc.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    That actually sounds even more attractive than how bard works.  

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Guess y'all will have to come on over and try it then  ;)
  • Suppose I’m happy for the people it benefits. Though for the rogue priests out there that are enemied to Targ, at least from what I’ve heard it’s like a surprise excomm. Before the way excomms seemed to work was that you could be rogue and that excomms were for extreme situations. I know of at least a few people that will have to lose 50% of their lessons now.
  • Don't think any balancing concerns should take into account people who want to openly oppose the faction a class is tied to. If they want to use the class they should deal with the consequences, or take the steps necessary to fix said consequences.

• Babel said:
    To be perfectly fair, if you're enemied to Targossas as a Devotionist of any kind, you're already in a world of hurt.
    Not as much as one might wish... I've seen approximately, what, 10? In the last few months getting by just fine, angels out and everything, all while swearing hells at Targ. It's... confusing, but I guess cutting off the class entirely would be too restricting. It's gotten to the point where I almost see more of them online than actual Targ priests/paladins, sometimes.
  • This is why I went Bard :)
  • We can't exactly excomm anyone r/n as far as I am aware. No Deacon of Celestia, etc.

So far, it sounds like a friggin awesome premise.  Instead of more lay-on-hands healing priests, I'm more anticipating WAR PRIESTS who run into battle, mace and shield at the ready, singing hymns and prayers as they slaughter foe left and right.
  • edited February 2019
    Yeah, assuming that's what those folks do we REALLY need a new Deacon for leaving Targ to actually be debilitating. As is it's just "fuck it, buy a translucent mask and wait until nobody is online". :P 
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Ygia said:
    Babel said:
    To be perfectly fair, if you're enemied to Targossas as a Devotionist of any kind, you're already in a world of hurt.
    Not as much as one might wish... I've seen approximately, what, 10? In the last few months getting by just fine, angels out and everything, all while swearing hells at Targ. It's... confusing, but I guess cutting off the class entirely would be too restricting. It's gotten to the point where I almost see more of them online than actual Targ priests/paladins, sometimes.
    Wait, hold up, there's like ten rogue priests who are enemied to Targ and carrying on business as usual right now/over just a few irl months?

That number seems exceptionally extreme. Mind, I've not paid attention to that kind of thing in a few years myself, but eyebrow-raising nonetheless.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited February 2019
    It might be true. It's not because it would be "too restricting" to excom them - I'm pretty sure we're allowed to do so. We just haven't had a Deacon for a long time. It's been more than a few rl months since we've had one.

Anyone choosing to be a priest enemied to Targ is obviously still accepting a great deal of risk since at any point we could have one and suddenly excom them, though.
  • Yeah. I was upset for a bit, but it's true I could sneak into Targossas, ANOINT, and run. Excomm is just around the corner hypothetically, though. I'm glad there is no active Deacon atm because it gave me time to prep for the change.

The relationship between RP and game mechanics is still something that I as a "new" player (I've been playing under a year) still have trouble comprehending. Perhaps because there are so many inactive elements that still get RP'd as active elements but are mechanically absent? This is probably better off as a separate post.

Re: the topic, I'd be pretty psyched about Zeal if I were in good standing with Targ. I relied heavily on the Healing skill abilities, but basing the abilities on prayers is nifty RP wise and the changed/new skills seem to make priests better for support, which I would've loved. An exciting change with lots to learn and experiment with, for sure.
  • edited February 2019
    Iirc, there is still a priest in Hashan, who is actively defending against Targ. Which is kind of dumb that we can't excom since we don't have a Deacon. Not that many people really fit the bill currently, considering I don't believe you can be in city leadership at all and hold the title... and also have to be a Devotionist.

Either way, it's about ZEAL.  I think, at least from what the Demigod said, I don't believe any enemies of Targ can actually enter that room. Might be wrong though, he said he placed a 'ward' of some sort there.
  • Not if they die to guards first.
  • I don't think I've actually seen anyone fight in this class yet. Is it gloriously overpowered? What did the judgment lines change to?
  • edited February 2019
    Zeal was very fun to use in the crusade earlier today, but sadly didn't get to shine because a certain priest couldn't seem to handle keeping verse count high enough to put down glory in time to save our brave leader. 

• edited February 2019
    Back on topic, from reading the AB files, it looks like prayers are stopped by deafness? If not what exactly does attend do? I'm also curious how RECITE ASH would work on a firelord, probably not the way I'm thinking but alas.
  • edited February 2019
    Not stopped by deafness, no. The deafness stripping verse is solely for sticking sensitivity with angel sear (since we no longer have healing and spiritwrack to do that for us). Sensitivity itself is also gated by ablaze and therefore by inquisition (since sticking ablaze itself is otherwise... unwieldy).

• edited February 2019
    From what I am reading of the AB files, there is a good chance for absolve kill paths through fire, is this easier, not really, or it's too complicated to be useful?

Also how are the new affs, anyone figured out what they do?
  • Guilt gives you a new mental affliction when you focus one off.
    Spiritburn apparently makes burning ticks deal some mana damage and if you move around while on fire and with spiritburn, you take mana damage.
    Tenderskin evidently makes you take mana damage when you apply salves (turn off that mass upkeep!?)