Sound Events

We're considering putting in default sounds for specific events in the game. This is an effort to help improve the game for VI players.

For example, a sound effect would play when balance or eq is regained. Maybe when an instakill starts or when an enemy enters the room.

One problem we foresee is that we will quickly have sounds playing so much it would become overwhelming and people will turn them off. We would probably have some basic sounds turned on by default, with the ability to configure as many or as few as you like.

What sound events would you like to see in the game that would improve your experience? VI or not.

Comments

• Sounds good, especially with the customisability. An option to append a noise to ANY custom-made trigger should be priority one if Nexus isn't already capable of that, if it is, allowing different pre-built sounds would be a must.

Obvious, not so much VI but generally useful-stuff/stuff I already have audio-cued myself: Levelling up, friend from a friend list or watch/tracking skill triggered. An option to tack it onto clan chat/specific users sending tells/messages. It probably seems overkill but its useful to have for certain clans that are all-business and any information on them is a priority. Audio cues for me are like a phone's: Specific noises for specific events that tell me if I need to prioritise reacting to them or I can leave it for a bit.

VI-useful stuff: aside from really obvious ideas. A cue for anyone on a user-defined list entering or exiting a room

You'll never do because it would be too cheeky but you love me: sea monster spawning or shipwarning triggered while fishing very legitimately
    Disco inferno.midi should play automatically on any 1/35 win at the roulette table. 

• Maybe a sound package they can customise for general triggers.

I would think a bip when initially drawing aggression might be wanted?
  • Finchy said:
    An option to append a noise to ANY custom-made trigger should be priority one if Nexus isn't already capable of that, if it is, allowing different pre-built sounds would be a must.
    These are both already a feature
  • Since it's aimed at VI players, I'd say
    1. Raids starting (maybe ending, too),
    2. Instakills starting (maybe only when it's guaranteed they're aimed at you, for multi-message ones),
    3. Possibly when you run out of some curative/vial,
    4. Important things decaying: vials, packs, armour, etc.
    One playing every time you get bal back might be a little too jarring, for how often it happens.

• Thanks for the feedback so far. Appreciated.
  • edited February 2019
    If you're on Nexus, you can set these through the reflexes. 

Basic example (not an actual trigger or message) :

Trigger, regular expression:

"Blades swinging wildly, (\w+)\ bears down on you, picking up speed as (\w+)\ goes."

Actions:

Show a notice: == INSTAKILL INCOMING == (red text, black background)
    Play a sound: Alarm Beep 2

---

Not quite the same as an official thing, of course, but might help out for now! :)
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Pyori said:
    Since it's aimed at VI players, I'd say
    1. Raids starting (maybe ending, too),
    2. Instakills starting (maybe only when it's guaranteed they're aimed at you, for multi-message ones),
    3. Possibly when you run out of some curative/vial,
    4. Important things decaying: vials, packs, armour, etc.
    One playing every time you get bal back might be a little too jarring, for how often it happens.
    Gold in your hands might be another one. Or large quantities of riftables (especially commodities)

• The things I tend to absentmindedly check the most are:
    1. mines(Play a sound when a mine collapses)
    2. QWC (options to have a sound play when a certain person shows up?)
    3. Maybe if you move a room and you have gold in your hands? That way VI players might be able to better recognize that they're at risk of dropping on death. I struggle myself and I'm not VI. 
    4. Raid Sanctions are a great one, I think bounty/contract claims are another. 
    5. Maybe instead of balance/eq since I think that's a bit... too much for anyone (maybe configure a setting?)
    6. When Radiance begins, for sure. (other instakills are a good thought, but radiance is the best, for sure one I think). 
    7. When certain abilities can be used again (Terran Titan, chrono rebirth, etc)
    Just a few thoughts of what I've created highlights for, and could totally see sounds helping. Thanks for the thought!

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • edited February 2019
    This may or may not be obvious, possible, or irrelevant but sound events should have an option to either interrupt each other or play simultaneously. I suspect the events themselves would be exceptionally short and simple tones for reasons of basic sanity, but in the case of simultaneous events happening I would think it would be important that all cues are sounded.

Not sure there to be honest, would love to hear how much of an impact that has someone playing with VI, I know that I certainly prefer "override" rather than "simultaneous" play but some of my cues are longer than they have any right to be. My ship castoff alias comes with a random piece from Penzance or Pinafore. 

EDIT: Just kidding its the Windwaker sailing theme. 

• Radiance and other delayed instakills should just play the Sonic drowning music.
  • For general use, I think 3d sounds to indicate exits would be awesome. Maybe some sounds for specific channels (city, hnt/house, newbie, etc). Sounds when you receive a message or a new news article is posted. Sounds for getting, dropping, packing, depositing, and withdrawing sweet sweet gold.

For combat, balance and eq sounds are essential. As are sounds for getting / curing prone and paralysis because they interrupt / break your queue.

I have many other thoughts, but I think these are most important.
  • I’d like a ‘boing’ sound when I whack a shield/prismatic barrier

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    edited April 2019
    Room ablaze and lightning strike! 

Edit: lightning from thunderstorm not the grove ability. 
  • Has it come to any results? I so much want sound events!
  • You can set up your own sound effects on Nexus! I use anvil strike for hitting a shield or prismatic, for example, and a little bell on fish biting, a cannon fire on ship weapon firing, etc etc. Could set up your own MP3s for a mudlet set.

There ought to be some 'VI assistance' packs for nexus and mudlet though, premade with the most important stuff for prompts.
  • Thanks for the advice! Since I've just come to the realm I must say I have few ideas how I should set them and would likely prefer a "standard" set to begin with, though. If anyone has it I would like to use it!