Is going cityless a disgrace?

13»

Comments

• Lenn said:
    Jiraishin said:
    This is probably a good time to warn you that anything you write/post in the game is copyright of Achaea and Iron Realms.
    This is wrong. It's only licensed.
    That's true, but it's a lot easier to say that it's copyrighted than explain the difference between copyrighting and a sub-licensable, perpetual, exclusive license.

6. Content and Content Ownership.
    The nature of the Services, especially the games portion, is interactive. There exist opportunities to submit a variety of your writings, graphics, art, ideas, text, and other creative or productive products while participating in the Services ("User Content"). When you submit any User Content, you represent and warrant that (i) You have the right to post your User Content. (ii) Your posting of the User Content does not violate anyone else's legal rights. (iii) The User Content will not cause harm to the Services or individual users of the Services. You hereby grant the Company a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, worldwide, irrevocable license to use, alter, publish, distribute, display, or perform any of your User Content in any and all media currently known, or developed in or discovered in the future. You further agree that the Services are composed of software object code, software source code, writings, files, logs, graphics, and other materials owned by the Company. You agree never to interfere with any proprietary rights, copyrights, or trademarks of the Company or any of its licensors. You agree that all data associated with the Services and residing on the Company's servers is owned exclusively by the Company.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Kraetos said:
    @Riell When it comes to morals, Kraetos is in a bit of a middle ground. Good and evil are clearly defined, but I am forging my own path. I haven't bothered with appealing to any gods other than Aegis, and I've just followed Ashtan around in their shenanigans. As we know, Ashtan has very interesting views on other gods and such. Kraetos has seen that, and moved against that, leaving the city to live on his own. In time he will learn more about culture and such, but as of now I am not worried about that, including morals. If you kill something, do it for a reason. 

@Jiraishin You and Issam do have a great point, that people will draw comparisons between the two characters. But that is not always a bad thing. Once Kraetos gains more power, I would love for people to see him as you would see Kratos, a strong man with a goal. And these comparisons could have a negative effect as well, someone might think of Kraetos as a bloodthirsty warrior when he isn't. But that is where backstory comes into play.
    Long story short, Kraetos was a young leader of a small tribe of nomadic dwarven folk. Met an old oracle/hag type, was told of a tree that would give him strength and wisdom. Tree had a consequence, it coated him in ash (Yeah, God of War reference) This ash caused his people to think of him as a ghost, and thought he had died. They elected a new leader and moved on. Kraetos lived in the wild, was captured by pygmies, and boom. The "strength and wisdom" from the tree appeared in the form of his height and ability to debate on a higher level than typical of the stereotypical dwarf of his age. Do take into mind that Kraetos is still a young character, and is growing stronger. I cannot snap my fingers and instantly have a powerful warrior, I have to build him up. That's what I'm doing, giving him a vibrant backstory and using that to make him my own.

Kraetos has went to leader of a tribe to a newb, according to the backstory. He acted all high and mighty for RP reasons, and learned that it wasn't the best idea. He learned humility, to an extent. Still has goals, but realizes that he needs allies too. Sweet story right there.
    And I, as 2nd in command of @Aegis' Order, would have a really hard time taking Kraetos seriously, because I know it (and your interactions with him) as a character from another game. This is exacerbated by only pursuing the Achaean God of War's realm.

Kraetos said:
    @Exelethril
    Masterful work, there. Really had me going. You should be a lawyer or something.
    Yes, "newb" is definitely subjective. :D

• I wonder if I could sue American Pie

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited January 2019
    I'm afraid to ask to which reference in American Pie you'd sue for.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • @Jiraishin I'm not a lawyer, so I couldn't say to what degree they're distinct, but worth noting is the license is non-exclusive.

Also worth noting is that licenses like those are fairly common on the Internet, so if you're worried about stuff of that nature, you should think carefully where you submit any content you've created.
  • They are indeed fairly common, and you should indeed be careful.

• @Riell
    Listen, you don't have to correct me for everything I say. I understand your point, but ease up on the negativity train. 
    @Klendathu
    No need to be dramatic. I'm playing a bloody game, Iron Realms or the owners of the God of War series really don't care. I'm not doing anything that could hurt either of them. Unless you're a lawyer yourself, don't try to teach me something neither of us are sure of. Thanks.

@Jiraishin
    I must say, that was a smart move on Iron Realms part. I've wrote a few songs, and I know Iron Realms can do whatever they want with them.
  • Kraetos said:
    @Riell
    Listen, you don't have to correct me for everything I say. I understand your point, but ease up on the negativity train. 
    @Klendathu
    No need to be dramatic. I'm playing a bloody game, Iron Realms or the owners of the God of War series really don't care. I'm not doing anything that could hurt either of them. Unless you're a lawyer yourself, don't try to teach me something neither of us are sure of. Thanks.

@Jiraishin
    I must say, that was a smart move on Iron Realms part. I've wrote a few songs, and I know Iron Realms can do whatever they want with them.
    There's a difference between being negative and being informative.

I assure you, I am doing the latter.

It's not a matter of "correcting [you] for everything [you] say."  It's a matter of trying to illustrate precise reasons why characters from outside of Achaea don't really work there.
  • Kraetos said:
    @Riell
    @Klendathu

@Jiraishin
    1. I think Riell is legitimately trying to help. Your biggest struggle here seems to be adjusting to Achaea's world.

2. IRL I'm a professional editor and have had to deal with copyright issues before in that capacity. You're right that the owners of God of War probably don't care. You're wrong about the rest of your argument. They just have bigger fish to fry. 

• All right folks, this horse is well and truly dead, please move along.
  • Returning to the main topic, I have an idea. Most cityless people still live within a city, or even at the Brass Lantern. What if we were to establish a halfway house of sorts? A place where cityless people can stop by for a bed and a meal, or medicine even. We would obviously do an honor check to make sure they are cityless. Is there a class that can see the items someone is carrying? We could use that class to act as a filter to keep those who already have what they need out.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited January 2019
    APPRAISE is an ability in Vision, available to all classes. It is also a class ability for Serpents.
    EDIT: to be clear, Appraise is the ability that lets you see what's in someone else's inventory.

• We could have volunteers work it, too. It's not a bad idea, is it? Anyone else have ideas?
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited January 2019
    CITILESS WANDERERS OF SAPIENCE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Leader Title:   Mediator
    Leader:         Nessy the Sneaky Sister
    Members:        29 Active / 123 Total
    Summary:
    Wanderers are the citiless, the houseless, the rogues. In the clan we
    seek only to find teachers, aid and companionship as it becomes more
    difficult to maintain our way of life and remain apart from
    organization, structure and politics. The clan is meant as a support for
    those of us who would live free to choose our own paths, our own
    enemies, our own allies and our own goals. As a wanderer the only
    expectation is that on the clan channel or in clan facilities you treat
    others with respect and nuetrality. Outside of these areas your behavior
    and actions are your own, even when concerning others of the clan.
    Your path is your own, we do not seek to set it for you nor control your
    actions provided that none are done in the clan's name or bring trouble
    to the clan as a whole. Your enemies are yours to choose, your dreams
    still yours to seek. We expect nothing from you but what you choose to
    to form friendship if you wish to do so. Among us are a few Friends to
    Wanderers, those willing to tutor or advize us without pressuring us to
    join their organizations. Someday we hope to povide facilities that are
    not so easily accessed by those that choose our way of life.
    We are whatever we choose to be, meant to live free and without
    restraint.

I don't know if this clan is still active, but a clan with a telepathic channel is a better format for what you're thinking in a physical place.. though eventually you could get an out-of-subs house at some point.

@Kraetos tagging just in case you saw this post before I edited it (I screwed up somehow and a lot of the post didn't make it into the final body) so you know to look again.

• That is a good idea, perhaps I should look into the clan. 
  • edited January 2019
    Sorry, just had to flog a side of the dead horse... the humor that even this idea is not original (I say that totally tongue-in-cheek) makes me laugh.  Can we just close this thread?

Almost everything in this is easier, and better, discussed and learned IG.

• The thread was originally about living outside of cities, and it's already been answered. I agree, we can close it.
  • As a city-less rogue, you get a lot more control over your character's direction, and more freedom both in what you can do and where you can go. This can be great for peaceful merchants and oddballs alike, especially oddball merchants.

Since I'm not sure anyone said why being a rogue is actually awesome.
  • I am a rogue, but not an assassin type. Just a wayward warrior, perhaps. It is fairly fun, having drinks with Mhaldorians and Cyrenians alike. I haven't payed off my fee to Targossas yet, but once that's dealt with I'll be a free man.
  • Jiraishin said:
    CITILESS WANDERERS OF SAPIENCE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Leader Title:   Mediator
    Leader:         Nessy the Sneaky Sister
    Members:        29 Active / 123 Total
    Summary:
    Wanderers are the citiless, the houseless, the rogues. In the clan we
    seek only to find teachers, aid and companionship as it becomes more
    difficult to maintain our way of life and remain apart from
    organization, structure and politics. The clan is meant as a support for
    those of us who would live free to choose our own paths, our own
    enemies, our own allies and our own goals. As a wanderer the only
    expectation is that on the clan channel or in clan facilities you treat
    others with respect and nuetrality. Outside of these areas your behavior
    and actions are your own, even when concerning others of the clan.
    Your path is your own, we do not seek to set it for you nor control your
    actions provided that none are done in the clan's name or bring trouble
    to the clan as a whole. Your enemies are yours to choose, your dreams
    still yours to seek. We expect nothing from you but what you choose to
    to form friendship if you wish to do so. Among us are a few Friends to
    Wanderers, those willing to tutor or advize us without pressuring us to
    join their organizations. Someday we hope to povide facilities that are
    not so easily accessed by those that choose our way of life.
    We are whatever we choose to be, meant to live free and without
    restraint.

I don't know if this clan is still active, but a clan with a telepathic channel is a better format for what you're thinking in a physical place.. though eventually you could get an out-of-subs house at some point.

@Kraetos tagging just in case you saw this post before I edited it (I screwed up somehow and a lot of the post didn't make it into the final body) so you know to look again.
    I am a member of that clan and can induct. Also of interest to the cityless may be Exos' clan, which has out-of-subs housing he tells me is city-sized.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • @Boosteya
    I'll join, yeah. And, @Exos , I'd like to join.
  • Kraetos said:
    Returning to the main topic, I have an idea. Most cityless people still live within a city, or even at the Brass Lantern. What if we were to establish a halfway house of sorts? A place where cityless people can stop by for a bed and a meal, or medicine even. We would obviously do an honor check to make sure they are cityless. Is there a class that can see the items someone is carrying? We could use that class to act as a filter to keep those who already have what they need out.
    If we were to live at the halfway houses, then don't you have to pay a good bit of money because there can be more fights between people. They can accidently find an enemy then, BANG, there's a fight.