Is going cityless a disgrace?

Comments

• Kratos is the Ghost of Sparta, who was given the Blades of Chaos which he used to kill Ares and become the new God of War after Ares killed his wife and child.

Also at some point he became a pussy and got remarried.
  • See this is why nobody is trying to RP the J-man, he the you testament doesn't have a video game series. Or go on a wild tear through platforming to beat up his dad using quicktime events. 

• @Penwize You are very right, from what you have seen of Kraetos he -did- act very similar to Kratos. But as I have played, Kraetos has become a bit more unique. Even yesterday, I was in Cyrene buying a group of men a drink. It would be highly unlikely that Kratos would do the same. You haven't had much of a chance to RP with Kraetos recently, but even so you do have a good point. Starting off modeling a well known character is challenging.

And friend, do know that I am not a newbie, and I've been playing MUDs for a good while. To some of you, Kraetos may not be as strong or as politically strong. I cannot snap my fingers and make him strong. I am not sure you understood me earlier, but my character started off as a mould in the form of Kratos, and as I experienced Achaea Kraetos has changed.

@Devran I understand your point of view, mate, and I've already made my argument. I've had plenty of OC's, so this time I'd like to try something different. If people disagree with me, then I'll try to find some common ground. 
  • You don’t need to defend your decisions, man. Do what you want.

Just know that, like others have said, most people aren’t going to take you seriously.
  • Or we just rewrite the whole Kratos defeating Ares thing and have @Aegis kill Kraetos for good.

• @Caelan Hey wait, Kraetos is on good terms with Aegis. Never said he was going to kill Him. I'd still enjoy a good spar with the Fella.

@Riell I'm honestly not seeing why people aren't taking Kraetos seriously. Should I make him some short little hobbit bard or something? Does every character have to be original? I understand people prefer OC's, but honestly, what's the difference? 
  • Kraetos said:
    @Caelan Hey wait, Kraetos is on good terms with Aegis. Never said he was going to kill Him. I'd still enjoy a good spar with the Fella.

@Riell I'm honestly not seeing why people aren't taking Kraetos seriously. Should I make him some short little hobbit bard or something? Does every character have to be original? I understand people prefer OC's, but honestly, what's the difference? 
    As others have more gracefully stated, Achaea is its own world.  Achaea has its own natural laws (physics and the like), as well as its own concrete system of "morality."  Bringing in a character (or drawing explicit parallels to one) that exists outside Achaea inherently means you're stretching the natural/moral laws of Achaea's world.

As an example, if you come strolling along saying "Good is relative!  Things are good because they're better than others, and often times you must use context to decipher if something is Good or Evil.  We should sit around and talk about how one incident could be either Good or Evil or both," people are going to laugh at you.  Why?  In Achaea, morality is much different.  Good and Evil are explicitly defined and enforced by their relative Divine.

Achaea - the WORLD - is no place for a character that is not bred within Achaea itself.
  • Kraetos said:
    @Caelan Hey wait, Kraetos is on good terms with Aegis. Never said he was going to kill Him. I'd still enjoy a good spar with the Fella.

Does every character have to be original? Yes.
    What's the difference? See: my and Issam's responses.

Not seeing why people aren't taking Kraetos seriously: the above, and because having met you in game you act like you are way, way more powerful than you are. Kratos in God of War can swagger because he can back up his swagger. Kraetos in Achaea is writing checks he can't cash. At the time he met Jir, Kraetos was 18, which is the only reason he didn't get slapped down hard for his behavior-- newbs get a lot of leniency because they are adjusting to the reality of Achaea, which is that you may have magic powers but you can get killed by a rabbit (this was actually my first ever death as a newb).

This would be true even if you -weren't- RPing a character from an existing franchise. Walking up to a group of people who could kill you in 3 seconds, as a newb trying to complete the Level 21 quest, and attempting to order them around as if you were their equal or even superior is going to make you a joke. 

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • @Riell When it comes to morals, Kraetos is in a bit of a middle ground. Good and evil are clearly defined, but I am forging my own path. I haven't bothered with appealing to any gods other than Aegis, and I've just followed Ashtan around in their shenanigans. As we know, Ashtan has very interesting views on other gods and such. Kraetos has seen that, and moved against that, leaving the city to live on his own. In time he will learn more about culture and such, but as of now I am not worried about that, including morals. If you kill something, do it for a reason. 

@Jiraishin You and Issam do have a great point, that people will draw comparisons between the two characters. But that is not always a bad thing. Once Kraetos gains more power, I would love for people to see him as you would see Kratos, a strong man with a goal. And these comparisons could have a negative effect as well, someone might think of Kraetos as a bloodthirsty warrior when he isn't. But that is where backstory comes into play.
    Long story short, Kraetos was a young leader of a small tribe of nomadic dwarven folk. Met an old oracle/hag type, was told of a tree that would give him strength and wisdom. Tree had a consequence, it coated him in ash (Yeah, God of War reference) This ash caused his people to think of him as a ghost, and thought he had died. They elected a new leader and moved on. Kraetos lived in the wild, was captured by pygmies, and boom. The "strength and wisdom" from the tree appeared in the form of his height and ability to debate on a higher level than typical of the stereotypical dwarf of his age. Do take into mind that Kraetos is still a young character, and is growing stronger. I cannot snap my fingers and instantly have a powerful warrior, I have to build him up. That's what I'm doing, giving him a vibrant backstory and using that to make him my own.

Kraetos has went to leader of a tribe to a newb, according to the backstory. He acted all high and mighty for RP reasons, and learned that it wasn't the best idea. He learned humility, to an extent. Still has goals, but realizes that he needs allies too. Sweet story right there.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited January 2019
     I cannot snap my fingers and instantly have a powerful warrior, I have to build him up.

Exactly, and your RP should reflect this. You're not a powerful warrior now, you're a trainee. Maybe you can come back to the idea of Kratos as a template in an RL year or two when Kraetos has the prowess to back it up. Or try to imagine Kratos as a kid before he was a powerful warrior.

The best, most vibrant backstories play out in game, not before it.

EDIT: Also, I think you're missing part of Issam's and my point. It is a bad thing when people see your character as a reference to something else, rather than on its own merits. That's basically what prompted this whole discussion, as far as I can tell-- you are expecting to be treated like people would treat Kratos, and the RP just doesn't match up. Kratos's same behaviors mean something different when Kraetos uses them.

• @Jiraishin
    You are right, I cannot be the powerful warrior just yet. But I am also no longer a newb, and I have a minute amount of power that separates me from the newbs. I have done what I can to make Kraetos humble, and I will take your advice about waiting. I think it may be a bit late to imagine Kratos as a kid, but perhaps a young soldier/adventurer is best. I think I am doing well in that part. To be honest, your character hasn't gotten to RP with him recently. I think Morn would know him well. 
    I always thought backstories were supposed to be what has happened to your character before you start. That's what I meant by backstory. I could update it, though, to include his time in Ashtan and learning humility.
  • Kraetos said:
    @Jiraishin
    You are right, I cannot be the powerful warrior just yet. But I am also no longer a newb, and I have a minute amount of power that separates me from the newbs. I have done what I can to make Kraetos humble, and I will take your advice about waiting. I think it may be a bit late to imagine Kratos as a kid, but perhaps a young soldier/adventurer is best. I think I am doing well in that part. To be honest, your character hasn't gotten to RP with him recently. I think Morn would know him well. 
    I always thought backstories were supposed to be what has happened to your character before you start. That's what I meant by backstory. I could update it, though, to include his time in Ashtan and learning humility.
    Backstory is whatever happened to your character that makes them who they are today. RP-wise, I've found the best thing is to give a new character a vague and fairly flexible history from before they became adventurers, then let them grow organically in their new environment. 

'Newb' is a bit of a relative term. You're new and you're learning the ropes. Sorry if the term caused confusion. Also my character is just shy of 300 years old, most people under a century are kids who need to get off his damn lawn :P

I would enjoy another chance to RP with Kraetos, and update my perceptions.

• Haha, I can imagine that. 

Jiraishin: "Get off of my lawn!"

Kraetos: "Wait... wait a minute."

Jiraishin: *draws weapon* "I said, I said -BOY- GET OFF OF MY LAWN"

Kraetos: (softly) "that's my line"

I think we had different ideas of backstories. I ended my backstory at my capture by the pygmies. I'll update it soon.
  • edited January 2019
    You are 100% misunderstanding me.

Good and Evil are totally different things in Achaea, which is why I put “morality” in quotes.

Sartan says what is Evil, and His word is law in that realm.

The Bloodworn say what is Good, and their word is law in that.

This is what I mean when I say Achaea has its own “natural laws.”

Eta: Also, please understand that people in this thread are not dogging you for your choices. They’re trying to explain to you the inherent struggles you are bringing on yourself due to out-of-place RP. Achaea isn’t a place where you can RP whatever you want; it’s a place where you can RP within its world.
  • @Riell And Kraetos is learning of those things. Living in a city like Ashtan, you learn that Chaos is their version of good. According to Targossas, Order is good. Kraetos is learning those things. And now I see what you meant, and you're right. Kraetos is still following those natural laws, and I don't plan on breaking them. Kratos, however, does push at them. Good and bad are relative in the God of War series, so I don't plan on using -that- part of it. A mortal wants to be a god? Sure, good luck. He wants to get revenge? Hrm, depends on the situation. Now, in Achaea, Kraetos wants to be a god? Ah, lad, ya can't really do that, we aren't too sure about all of that. I don't even want revenge or anything, just power. It's natural, right? Who knows, perhaps that will change as he meets more people.
  • edited January 2019
    Dear Kraetos,

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of SIE Santa Monica Studio's copyrighted work entitled, God of War (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. They have reserved all rights in the Work, which was first published on 2005, of which they have registered the copyright. Your character entitled Kraetos and which appears in Achaea is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis. You neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for God of War nor to make or distribute copies of it. Therefore, I believe you have willfully infringed their rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $3.50 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein. I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of your Achaean character derived from the Work, and all related characters and that you destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of SIE Santa Monica Studio's rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by 31st Jan 2019, indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall consider taking any and all legal remedies available to rectify this situation.

Thank you.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Holy shit
  • Wait is this real?
  • Ahem, question right fast: Are you serious? Calling copyright over a character? I'm not using it for money, so you can't use that against me. Copyright is for people using other people's ideas for money, right?
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited January 2019
    He's messing with you, bro.

EDIT: The next 15 seconds of your Kraetos/Jir conversation as described would be Jir turning Kraetos into an arrow pincushion and Kraetos embracing death. Or maybe I'd go Dragon for once and devour... But probably a snipe kill, yeah

• Oh. I almost pissed myself.
  • Not really, metaphorically. 
  • @Exelethril
    Masterful work, there. Really had me going. You should be a lawyer or something.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kraetos said:
    @Exelethril
    Masterful work, there. Really had me going. You should be a lawyer or something.
    It could legitimately happen

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • @Klendathu
    I'm not so sure. I'm no lawyer, but copyright only pertains to things such as *cough* Vader: A Star Wars Story. In that one, a Youtuber made a fan film, and used the Imperial March. The only reason Disney got pissed off is because it made money. I'm not making money, just playing a game.
  • This is probably a good time to warn you that anything you write/post in the game is copyright of Achaea and Iron Realms.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kraetos said:
    @Klendathu
    I'm not so sure. I'm no lawyer, but copyright only pertains to things such as *cough* Vader: A Star Wars Story. In that one, a Youtuber made a fan film, and used the Imperial March. The only reason Disney got pissed off is because it made money. I'm not making money, just playing a game.
    You are wrong. Doesn't matter if you're making money. Intellectual property is intellectual property. Your unathorised use could damage the IP, intentionally or not.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Kraetos said:
    @Riell And Kraetos is learning of those things. Living in a city like Ashtan, you learn that Chaos is their version of good. According to Targossas, Order is good. Kraetos is learning those things. And now I see what you meant, and you're right. Kraetos is still following those natural laws, and I don't plan on breaking them. Kratos, however, does push at them. Good and bad are relative in the God of War series, so I don't plan on using -that- part of it. A mortal wants to be a god? Sure, good luck. He wants to get revenge? Hrm, depends on the situation. Now, in Achaea, Kraetos wants to be a god? Ah, lad, ya can't really do that, we aren't too sure about all of that. I don't even want revenge or anything, just power. It's natural, right? Who knows, perhaps that will change as he meets more people.
    Ashtan does not teach that Chaos is their version of "Good."

Targossas does not that that Order is "Good."

Chaos is a palpable, tangible force in Achaea.

Good is a palpable, tangible force in Achaea.

These aren't things that people talk about; they're actual things that exist.

• Jiraishin said:
    This is probably a good time to warn you that anything you write/post in the game is copyright of Achaea and Iron Realms.
    This is wrong. It's only licensed.