What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Caelan said:
    Agree with @Klendathu .  I find myself picking up accents pretty quick.  In Japan, in North Carolina, in South Carolina, in Vermont and Maine - all different accents.. maybe I'm just a sociopath? 
    I mean, I could be wrong! I've just literally never run into that IRL beyond very minor adjustments + lexicon. I've never seen someone change as drastically as british -> american past a certain age, no matter how long they live somewhere else. Nor have I seen people pick up a drawl without a speech therapist as above, lol. I've certainly seen people go  from something minor like new york to sounding slightly more californian but that's not really what I had in mind when I said people don't change accents. It's still an accent change, though, so I suppose you're right.
  • todays adventures: king of the prairie is the least fun thing in the history of fun
  • Ygia said:
    todays adventures: king of the prairie is the least fun thing in the history of fun
    True story: one of your deathsights had a typo in it once so now I always pay extra attention to your deaths, just in case I need to write another typo report.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:
    Ygia said:
    todays adventures: king of the prairie is the least fun thing in the history of fun
    True story: one of your deathsights had a typo in it once so now I always pay extra attention to your deaths, just in case I need to write another typo report.
    I'm still way off of being anywhere decent so feel free to look away, plenty more deaths where that came from. :v 
  • edited December 2018
    Accents are acquired from the environment. The accent of your parents has a negligible affect on your own accent in isolation, unless they are the only voices you are exposed to as a child. After you grow up learning to speak a certain way, it becomes much harder to unlearn that and you'll probably carry subconscious aspects of your childhood accent unless you make a conscious effort to unlearn them. 

People can also IMITATE ACCENTS AFTER HEARING THEM AND SPEND TIME PRACTISING THEM. It's not like the Shallam accent is lost to history and no one alive knows what they sounded like. Get a grip.
  • Jovolo said:
    Accents are acquired from the environment. The accent of your parents has a negligible affect on your own accent in isolation, unless they are the only voices you are exposed to as a child. After you grow up learning to speak a certain way, it becomes much harder to unlearn that and you'll probably carry subconscious aspects of your childhood accent unless you make a conscious effort to unlearn them. 

People can also IMITATE ACCENTS AFTER HEARING THEM AND SPEND TIME PRACTISING THEM. It's not like the Shallam accent is lost to history and no one alive knows what they sounded like. Get a grip.
    I think Ygia has gotten her accent more or less resolved at this point. Conscious imitation was not really the issue at hand, so I'm not sure why that comment was even necessary: unlike those celebs @Kiet mentioned, there's no incentive to fake having a different accent (which is what imitation through practice is). My understanding is that Ygia spent her formative years/novicehood in a cluster of ex-Shallamese, including but not limited to her parents, and wanted that represented.

This all reminds me a bit of the "Do people speak with accents in tells" debate. (I vote a strong 'yes')

• edited December 2018
    I mean, if words are presented whatsoever in tells they have to be with accents, right? Unless someone is just mentally imposing the strong impression of the feeling of "peach coloured mantle" onto my psyche. And if so, why would language matter in tells?
  • Jiraishin said:
    Jovolo said:

I think Ygia has gotten her accent more or less resolved at this point. Conscious imitation was not really the issue at hand, so I'm not sure why that comment was even necessary: unlike those celebs @Kiet mentioned, there's no incentive to fake having a different accent (which is what imitation through practice is). My understanding is that Ygia spent her formative years/novicehood in a cluster of ex-Shallamese, including but not limited to her parents, and wanted that represented.

This all reminds me a bit of the "Do people speak with accents in tells" debate. (I vote a strong 'yes')
    Tells are non-verbal, telepathic communication, but presumably they just work by the other person hearing your voice inside their head, which would include your accent.
  • I always use speech styles as tells, but cut the drawl/modifications out. "I ain't gonna tell you nothing" vs "I ain't gon' tell y' nothin'".

But also partially because if someone interacts with me on an accent-heavy character they can bail if it's annoying, but an org can't just up boot me (presumably) for apostrophe abuse.
  • Antonius said:
    Jiraishin said:
    Jovolo said:

Tells are non-verbal, telepathic communication, but presumably they just work by the other person hearing your voice inside their head, which would include your accent.
    I thought tells were -verbal- telepathic communication.

And yeah, you'd think that'd be obvious, but back in the day  there was this weird orthodoxy of people like Delphinus that because tells weren't spoken out loud they must be accentless, because "you don't have an accent in your thoughts".
    Which is false. You totally do, if you think in words.

• Aegoth will now have a native shallamese accent. Thanks everyone!
  • Aegoth said:
    Aegoth will now have a native shallamese accent. Thanks everyone!
    Hell, I've still got a harsh Western one.

also I thought Aegoth was raised by Holocaust globes

• Ygia said:
    Naw, Aegoth raises Holocaust globes. Like a mother hen. And then throws them right out of the nest.
    I think they just fall out of the nest to land with a THUMP.
  • Worst mother hen ever.
  • That is one ugly hen.
  • If I spent so much time of recent memory up in the Tundra part of the world, what kind of accent would I have? Fargo or Tim Hortons? 
  • Pretty sure it's a wildling accent
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • @Kiet This is totally anecdotal, but my parents were from Arizona and moved to Arkansas. I was born and raised there. All the locals have a strong southern accent - but I don't. My brother does, because he thought it was cool and practiced it deliberately. But my (non) accent is just like my parents'.
  • RE Accents: it seems like you people are living in places with hard accents and can't understand people so they have to purposely put it on for you. I have friends who have gone to the US and UK for a month and come back with an accent because if they didn't speak that way no one could understand WTF they were saying.

You can pick them up real quick, one of my friends right now keeps talking like a cowboy because he spent 200 hours in RDR2, he claims it is by accident but I'm not sure.
  • Accipiter said:

You can pick them up real quick, one of my friends right now keeps talking like a cowboy because he spent 200 hours in RDR2, he claims it is by accident but I'm not sure.
    That's not an accident. He intentionally played 200 hours of RDR2. 

• i haven't actually watched the video, i'm just assuming it shows what i think it does. not really an argument either way, but she was born/raised/graduated high school in arizona, then moved to brasil and ended up with a post-fight translator lol
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • I personally soak up local accents, having moved all over the country. Some people aren't like that. 
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    This is gold
  • SO ANYWAY! What happened to you all today in game? Did you get up to some fun stuff?
  • Jiraishin said:
    Jovolo said:

I was interchanging imitation with learned but I thought that was obvious. My bad, I should have made it more clear. If you spend a large amount of time around people who speak a certain way then you of course learn through continuous attempts at imitation. My point was that a modern day Shallamese accent is entirely rational and can be easily explained within the dynamics of Achaea, so the melt down over the accent was completely unwarranted. 

❤️
  • Ygia said:
    SO ANYWAY! What happened to you all today in game? Did you get up to some fun stuff?
    I got the fastest turnaround on design approval I have -ever- seen. I submitted it the evening before yesterday, was approved yesterday morning. I have never seen a design take less than two days to approve.

...Now, nearly a full day later, I haven't seen the person I'm supposed to give it to IG. I feel like a miracle is going to waste.

• Hit gold cap, got 5.3% xp, completed two bounties, completed uniques for Red, Black and Green dragon sets and made a funny on CT that apparently made @Marron spit his drink out.

Champion. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Hit gold cap, got 5.3% xp, completed two bounties, completed uniques for Red, Black and Green dragon sets and made a funny on CT that apparently made @Marron spit his drink out.

Champion. 
    Mr. Hashani, right here, folks.
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."