Initiative Q

Anyone hear about this? Some payment system looking to overtake credit card transfers. Could end up being some massive pyramid scheme, but I'm willing to give it a shot since it requires a first name, a last name and an email address and almost no additional setup. Anyone want to sign up under the invite link I've got? It'll probably end up being worthless, but I thought bitcoin was stupid and look at what happened with -that-.

"Initiative Q is an attempt by ex-PayPal guys to create a new payment system instead of credit cards that were designed in the 1950s. The system uses its own currency, the Q, and to get people to start using the system once it's ready they are allocating Qs for free to people that sign up now (the amount drops as more people join - so better to join early). Signing up is free and they only ask for your name and an email address. There's nothing to lose but if this payment system becomes a world leading payment method your Qs can be worth a lot. If you missed getting bitcoin seven years ago, you wouldn't want to miss this."

Here is my invite link: https://initiativeq.com/invite/H-XizekTX This link will stop working once I’m out of invites. Let me know after you registered, because I need to verify you on my end.

Comments

• I'm just waiting for Alipay to move to the rest of the world. It's so amazing, and already has eliminated credit cards and cash completely.
  • Pyramid Scheme scam imho

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Pyramid Scheme scam imho
    Probably, but at the same time it (currently) isn't requiring anything monetary to sign up. I figure I can always call it quits and go no further if they end up asking for money.

• Trey said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Pyramid Scheme scam imho
    Probably, but at the same time it (currently) isn't requiring anything monetary to sign up. I figure I can always call it quits and go no further if they end up asking for money.
    Bro. Be super careful here. you gave them your first name. last name your email address. AND A PASSWORD. this isnt a pyramid scheme persay. they didnt ask for money sure. what there looking to do is nab peoples passwords and emails on the hopes you share that password with multiple sites. If you do change everything now. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Driden said:
    Trey said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Pyramid Scheme scam imho
    this isnt a pyramid scheme persay. they didnt ask for money sure.
    Per se.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Pyori said:
    Driden said:
    Trey said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Pyramid Scheme scam imho
    this isnt a pyramid scheme persay. they didnt ask for money sure.
    Per se.
    Percy. As in Percy Pigs. Mmmm.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited November 2018
    Driden said:
    Trey said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Pyramid Scheme scam imho
    Bro. Be super careful here. you gave them your first name. last name your email address. AND A PASSWORD. this isnt a pyramid scheme persay. they didnt ask for money sure. what there looking to do is nab peoples passwords and emails on the hopes you share that password with multiple sites. If you do change everything now. 
    I practice basic security protocol by habit - none of my important accounts share passwords, or similar schemes/conventions. Fantastic advice, though.

EDIT: I also have two-step verification on anything that has it as an option.

• Plot twist, Trey runs Initiative Q and this is a scheme to fund his Starmourn character.
    (Holocaust Inc): Taryius says, "Waait *hic* .. Quaff drInks *hic*  everything in a bott *hic* lee, I tHouGhf It was just 5
    sipSh.."
  • You caught me. I'm getting all of you password slackers and suiciding your Beta characters once the game launches proper.

According to this thing I've got 10 invites left out of the 15, so if anyone wants to give it a shot it should be available.

• Requiring registration on a news site is a quick way to make me never want to read things on a news site.

• It's cause those news sights are scams fishing for registration info!!
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Odd, didn't have to register when clicking it through Google, hence the share. Either way, this sounds like a shoddy pyramid scheme at best.

• Kresslack said:
    Odd, didn't have to register when clicking it through Google, hence the share. Either way, this sounds like a shoddy pyramid scheme at best.
    Very shoddy, considering there's no cash involved and only a handful of useful things they have info-wise so far. I -will- however state that I think it'll probably flop and go absolutely nowhere. At the same time, effort/cost is minimal enough that I figure I'll stick it out for now - we won't know if it's even going to get off the ground for about three years.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited November 2018
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    Very shoddy, considering there's no cash involved and only a handful of useful things they have info-wise so far. I -will- however state that I think it'll probably flop and go absolutely nowhere. At the same time, effort/cost is minimal enough that I figure I'll stick it out for now - we won't know if it's even going to get off the ground for about three years.
    Most people do use the same passwords for multiple sites, though. Unless they're paying you in real money rather than Q-things, they're costlessly acquiring chances for profit. It's worth it from a scam perspective even if not everyone gets caught in it.

The shoddy part isn't that they aren't pulling in membership fees. The shoddy part is that the promotional description you copied sounds exactly like a pyramid scheme. If they're -not- a pyramid scheme, they need to fire their PR writers.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited November 2018
    You know that the information about you that comes associated with your email is more valuable than your passwords, right?*

Selling information to vendors has made Google a giant.

Also, if you use any Google service, Facebook, Twitter, etc., you've already given that away and people are absolutely making money off of your demographic information. 

*To a company that's looking to compete as a big platform. Obviously if this is two dudes in a basement, it's different (though cursory review of news articles seems to suggest this is not the case)