Classes like Apostate

I've been playing Apostate since I began on Achaea about a year ago. I like Apostate but really dread the City RP I'm in and it has gotten to the point I don't even want to play anymore. Sadly, Apostate is limited to Mhaldor. That being said, I'm looking for affliction classes like Apostate.

The main four I'm aware of are Alchemist, Depthswalker, Occultist, and Shaman.

I'm told Shaman is a complete prep class more than an affliction class.
I've fought an Alchemist one time and they seemed rather limited. I might be wrong here.
I've only fought one Occultist so I'm really not sure how affliction oriented they are so it really has me leaning to Depthswalker.

Any suggestions or foresight? I really hate the lesson loss on switching class so I'm trying to make sure to get the one that'll fit my play style.

Best Answer

Answers

• It's worth considering Sylvan aswell.  Weatherweaving's affliction path is similar to deadeyes in that it uses double affliction combos at sub 2s speed to achieve a lock.    The sylvan affliction path is more difficult than apostate, but it has strong limb (heartseed) and damage (fulmination, electrify, shockwave) paths to complement it.

If the reason you have a problem with Apostate is the RP limitation, you might want to consider whether you'd have the same problem with Occultist and Sylvan.
  • Water lord is affliction based combat with no RP limitations and no lesson investment
  • edited November 2018
    Serpent is the closest class to Apostate, imo, at least as far as 1v1 and your main form of affliction delivery. I guess DW might be even closer with the mana stuff and no hypnosis, but serp/apostate both rely on the double affs with few gimmicks.
  • I'd say DW is closest, but serpent is definitely another option too, yeah. Also depends a lot what specifically you liked about apostate, since no two classes are exactly the same.

For example, apostate also has blackwind, which is really handy, and the closest thing to that is phase.

Apostate is really tanky, too, and alchemist is probably the closest in survival capabilities of the classes being considered.

Serpent and Alchemist are better than DW at locking if you like locks. But DW has a mana kill if you like that. DW and alchemist have a pure momentum offense rather than hitting in a slightly more burst oriented offense like serpent. 

DW has more passive affs, which is a very apostate-like thing too. But DW isn't as good at canceling tumble as apostate so alchemist is nice because mobile room hinder helps with chasing.

Alchemist offense is very strong, but kind of blander than apostate since it's a lot of the same attack over and over (temper/wrack).
  • Thanks guys!

The main thing I enjoy is the momentum based locking. It's really sounding like it's between Alchemist and DW with the current responses. I'm really not fond of Serpent from what I've seen.

I believe you play both, Farrah, which do you like best?
  • Farrah said:

For example, apostate also has blackwind, which is really handy, and the closest thing to that is phase.

um astral form is the closest since there the same skill....XD
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Driden said:
    Farrah said:

Huh?

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Driden said:
    Farrah said:

Astral is on a class that has nothing to do with this discussion, so no reason to mention it.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    Driden said:
    Farrah said:

Astral is on a class that has nothing to do with this discussion, so no reason to mention it.
    Uhh...

Armitage said:

• Pyori said:
    Atalkez said:
    Driden said:
    Farrah said:

Uhh...

Armitage said:

i think i may love you. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Oh I missed that, my mistake :lol:

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.