Garden Q&A!

Comments

• ________________________
    The soul of Ashmond says, "Always with the sniping."

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Not going to derail too much, but that's clearly not how tenses work in English.
  • Antonius said:
    Not going to derail too much, but that's clearly not how tenses work in English.
    Well, I have two responses to that.
    1. It's Shakespearean English, therefore screwy.
    2. English is a bastard language and is full of things that shouldn't work... but do, God help us all.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • You list Celani, Volunteering, and the Garden. What would volunteering alone entail, and are volunteers restricted on playing their character(s)? I assume they could have a very broad range of tasks but I'm curious as to what is involved. 
  • What is the usual time frame from applications closing, interviews then to offer?

• Volunteering is how 99% of us join the Garden (the Garden is the collective team who run Achaea, Gods, Producers, Coders.)

When someone volunteers with us they start out at Celani rank, which denotes that they are undergoing our most basic training processes. I've listed things that this covers in answer to various questions above.

Celani cannot play their characters, the separation from playing Achaea to being part of the team that develops and runs Achaea is mandatory and very important. If someone wants to help out and still play their character they could apply to be a Guide or a Mortal Builder.
  • @Nicola

Thanks for the clarification. I was assuming volunteer and Celani were separate roles entirely.
  • edited October 2018
    Tahquil said:
    What is the usual time frame from applications closing, interviews then to offer?
    Usually within 2 weeks of the applications closing to hear about interview scheduling, but this can depend on big events in game, things setting on fire, and the like.

After interviews folks hear back within 7 days with a yay or nay. After that it depends on when our times line up to bring someone on board.
  • Do Celani get locked into either an RP or coding role? Can people switch if they find coding more interesting or vice versa? Can people do both depending on what you need or however they are feeling that particular day?
  • Zeris said:
    Do Celani get locked into either an RP or coding role? Can people switch if they find coding more interesting or vice versa? Can people do both depending on what you need or however they are feeling that particular day?
    We keep these distinct because both can be considerable time commitments and it's not great to keep players hanging on a godrole's involvement if the volunteer behind it got caught up in a coding project, or keep a dev schedule on hold because some fun RP came up with their godrole.

Whether a volunteer goes towards God or Coder or whatever in this instance is a decision made final at the end of Celani training.

If a volunteer was in one and wanted to switch, and were suitable for it, we would consider it, but it's not something we'd do lightly, nor allow a lot of back and forth.
  • How long would I be able to hold down enter on the zap command before it was frowned upon?

• Cooper said:
    How long would I be able to hold down enter on the zap command before it was frowned upon?
    For less time than I can because I'm the one who does the frowning!
  • Is there an option of a delayed start for the right applicant? For example : if someone wants to apply but know that the first month of the usual intake they will have time restraints do you Invite them to apply anyway or recommend they wait until the next round?
  • Tahquil said:
    Is there an option of a delayed start for the right applicant? For example : if someone wants to apply but know that the first month of the usual intake they will have time restraints do you Invite them to apply anyway or recommend they wait until the next round?
    If it's going to be a short term restraint, then they'd be welcome to apply.
  • Only if you prepend it with resurrection right?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Aegis said:
    Nicola said:
    Cooper said:
    How long would I be able to hold down enter on the zap command before it was frowned upon?
    For less time than I can because I'm the one who does the frowning!
    For a little bit of amusement, am I allowed to hold down the zap command on Cooper instead?
    Being immediately behind Cooper in the XP ranking, and not really wanting to bash, I'm in favour of this idea.
  • It would take a lot of zaps to drop behind you. 

• Cooper said:
    It would take a lot of zaps to drop behind you. 
    That sounded like a challenge.
  • Move on, more questions!
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    If you had woodchucks in the game, and they were actually able to chuck wood, what would the calculation be for how much wood was chucked per hour by 1 woodchuck?
  • Do Celani get dorm rooms or are they out in the cold until Demi?
  • Mindshell said:
    Do Celani get dorm rooms or are they out in the cold until Demi?
    They have to build their own rooms, so it's all on them! (Mine was an igloo, so I was cold and had a room.)
  • I am channeling my inner Hermonie and have a couple of inquires. 

1. Is it possible for a player, aspiring to become a God/Goddess, to reach out the administrator and find out what they need to work on to improve their chances of becoming a Celani? 

2. How often are mortal builders called for?

3. What is the process of submitting an idea to the Garden? Such as an item or event for feasibility and even implementation? 

4. What would be your best advice to give to someone who feels they may have burnt too many bridges, yet still desires to become one of the Garden? 

Thanks!

• Ailea said:
    I am channeling my inner Hermonie and have a couple of inquires. 

1. Is it possible for a player, aspiring to become a God/Goddess, to reach out the administrator and find out what they need to work on to improve their chances of becoming a Celani?
    It is, but this doesn't guarantee success down the line and we simply don't have the time to dedicate to ongoing support of individuals trying to improve in order to join the team.
    2. How often are mortal builders called for?
    As and when they're needed, usually once or twice a year.
    3. What is the process of submitting an idea to the Garden? Such as an item or event for feasibility and even implementation?
    For an actual idea, submit an IDEA, for event suggestions, email roleplay@achaea.com
    4. What would be your best advice to give to someone who feels they may have burnt too many bridges, yet still desires to become one of the Garden? 
    Turn it around and do better. It's blunt but actions and attitudes in Achaea are primarily what we judge a candidate on.
  • If someone outside of the mortal builder program has an idea and would like to design an area complete with mobs and story line, how much of this would you like to see in a proposal, if anything?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Great! Thanks @Nicola

This discussion has been closed.