Quick Questions

Comments

• Vika said:
    Anyone else not able to see "Like" or "Awesome" avatars to see who specifically liked the stuff? 

I can see the numerical value, but no portraits :(
    They're not showing for me either, on mobile or desktop versions of the site. I'm pretty sure they were showing over the weekend, so it's a recent change.
  • 2 questions actually.

1) Is there a static timer on being able to extract from an area again or is it random? If static, how long is it?

2) Is there a point in using hide, ghost AND cloak? Or is it redundant and pointless?

(Holocaust Inc): Taryius says, "Waait *hic* .. Quaff drInks *hic*  everything in a bott *hic* lee, I tHouGhf It was just 5
    sipSh.."
  • edited September 2018
    Holstein said:
    2 questions actually.

1) Is there a static timer on being able to extract from an area again or is it random? If static, how long is it?

2) Is there a point in using hide, ghost AND cloak? Or is it redundant and pointless?

1) It used to be that you could extract after the 1st and the 13th of the month. No idea about current extraction.
    2) They serve different functions. Hide hides you completely, unless the person has lifevision. Ghost hides your name when you move (says a ghostly figured moves to the <dir>). Cloak I forget what it hides anymore. If you're fighting people that have passive def strips it can help layer protection on the more important ones like scales and weaving.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Extracting you can do once per Achaean day, it resets at midnight.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • cloak hides your movement in/out of a room and also stops people from seeing you're following them

The point of having all three is that it requires someone have BOTH lifevision and thirdeye in order to identify you
  • Thanks folks!
    (Holocaust Inc): Taryius says, "Waait *hic* .. Quaff drInks *hic*  everything in a bott *hic* lee, I tHouGhf It was just 5
    sipSh.."
  • 2016. Are newbies reborn through the Flame of Yggdrasil, or is it pygmy dungeons all the way down?
  • Armali said:
    2016. Are newbies reborn through the Flame of Yggdrasil, or is it pygmy dungeons all the way down?
    It's been the pygmies since 2014. Trial of Rebirth was 2006-2014. Loom Island before that.
  • Holstein said:
    Hide prevents you from showing up in the room, and also prevents being looked at. Lifevision sees through it. That used to be all hide did, but a couple years back it was silently changed to also work like cloak, hiding your movement and other actions (such as getting/dropping/buying items), hypersight letting you see movement and certain actions but not all actions, and lifevision showing at least as much as hypersight but possibly still not all actions.

Ghost hides your name when following someone (both the follow message and on ent/group) and when entering/leaving a room, showing you just as "a ghostly figure", and also prevents you from being looked at. Seen through by lifevision.

Cloak prevents you from showing up in the room just like hide, but it's seen through by thirdeye which pretty much everyone except newbies will have at all times. It hides your movement, seen through by lifevision or hypersight, and certain actions (I can't recall what exactly it hides), some of which can be seen through with hypersight or lifevision. But like I said, hide also does all of this now.
    As far as I can find, the only purpose of cloak now is to use it on others, or if there's someone in the room preventing you from hiding. If you're already hidden, then cloaking yourself doesn't seem to have any effect.

Dupre said:
    cloak hides your movement in/out of a room and also stops people from seeing you're following them

The point of having all three is that it requires someone have BOTH lifevision and thirdeye in order to identify you
    Cloak doesn't hide follow (the message or your presence on ent/group), and thirdeye is never required, lifevision sees everything that thirdeye does and a lot more.
  • Is there any way to completely protect against thievery? - including the use of arties and scripts? Or is there a way around every defense?

• There are a lot of things you can do to mitigate the impact of theft, but I'm not sure you can ever get to a point where it's literally impossible to steal from you.

Scripts
    1. A script that will keep selfishness up if you're forced to drop it. Selfishness protects against pickpocket, so that's an important part of your anti-theft. You'll obviously need an alias to turn it off so you can drop selfishness when you need to. However, I'd suggest that alias also start a short timer to turn it back on, so that you're not left completely unprotected if you forget to do it yourself. I would suggest that the basis of this script uses the in-game curing system for the defence upkeep, as that should continue to function even if the connection between your client and the game has dropped.
    2. A trigger that will put gold back in your pack if you're forced to take it out. They can only pickpocket gold if it's in your inventory, so make sure it's not in your inventory. Obviously this will not function if your connection has dropped, but the game hasn't kicked you out yet.

Items
    1. A shimmering orb will prevent appraising you to see what you have in your inventory. This will make it more difficult (but not impossible) to target a specific item with pickpocket.
    2a. There's a pack that's sometimes available - it's a talisman item, but I don't recall which set it's in - that can be opened and closed. Having it closed prevents taking items out of it, so that's an extra level of security against theft; you'll want a trigger to close it if forced to open it.
    2b. You can put your gold inside one container, then place it in a second container, to make it more difficult for them to force you into having gold in your hands.

General awareness
    1. Try not to go afk. Never go afk if you're not in a safe location. A safe location means inside your city standing on guards; most thieves are enemied to cities, and it's very difficult to rob somebody when you're getting killed by city guards.
    2. Set your timeout relatively low. This will protect you from staying in the realms as a potential victim for theft for long periods of time if your connection does drop (and the game doesn't realise) or if you suddenly have to go afk. This only works if you don't have triggers keeping things that drop on a short(ish) timer up, like the mass defence.
    3. If you have a lot of gold, keep most of it in the bank. There's very little reason to ever be carrying hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, of gold on you at one time, unless you're in the process of going somewhere to spend it.

Artefacts/Credit purchases
    1. Make everything you might possibly care about losing non-decay and resetting. If it resets to you it can never be permanently stolen.
    2. I think there's now an artefact that allows you to access your bank account(s) from any location. This removes some of the downsides associated with keeping gold in your bank (it's not immediately available when you need it as you have to walk to the bank to withdraw it).

• Yes there is a way to completely protect against thievery, and that is to sit on your own ship that no one else has permission to board :P
  • Dupre said:
    Yes there is a way to completely protect against thievery, and that is to sit on your own ship that no one else has permission to board :P
    Oh, that's true, I suppose. I assumed they also wanted to actually play the game though.
  • Well, there are a few other things in addition to what Antonius said. Selfishness stops theft, so if you have selfishness on defence keepup through server side, there is only one way to rob you:

1. Hypnotise you to use generosity on a timer
    2. Snap you
    3. Start pickpocket
    4. Generosity happens just as pickpocket is about to complete
    5. Pickpocket completes before you regain eq to use selfishness

This means if you react to the snap by moving or throwing yourself off balance and eq long enough to prevent the generosity (only usable if you're on bal and eq) you're fine. That's why being alert is important. You don't usually want to trigger snap to do things because of how it affects pk, but you always could if you had it toggleable for pk. If you did it right, you'd be immune to theft barring a disconnect.
  • Are depthswalkers able to use the death scythe in place of the manifested scythe?
  • edited September 2018
    Also. As long as you keep generosity up, it is astronomically hard to steal anything that you keep in a pack or pouch. And that is assuming you are completely afk during the whole process which would require multiple forced actions. And that is on top of the ridiculously low chance to pickpocket direct items. 
  • Taryius said:
    As long as you keep generosity up, it is astronomically hard to steal anything 
    sure jan
  • Dupre said:
    Taryius said:
    As long as you keep generosity up, it is astronomically hard to steal anything 
    sure jan
    what can I say, I like to help out my serpent friends
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    So I just assembled one of those piggy bank talismans, because I figure what better way to save money than extorting myself?

I'm assuming only the owner can Smash it, but just wanted to double-check to see if anyone knew for sure.

•  @Kresslack Yes, only the owner can smash it. I issued myself about it when I got mine.
    Congrats on your piggybank. Probably my absolute favorite artefact. Just wait until you fill it up and watch it grow bigger!
    The description changes and everything. :)
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Iohanna said:
     @Kresslack Yes, only the owner can smash it. I issued myself about it when I got mine.
    Congrats on your piggybank. Probably my absolute favorite artefact. Just wait until you fill it up and watch it grow bigger!
    The description changes and everything. :)
    Thank you! After shaking it once, I'm not sure if I could ever bring myself to break into it now.

• Thank you for all the answers, and yes, I do wish to learn to play the game. 

• Can anyone post the AB file for Gallowshumour and explain how it works?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    edited September 2018
    Sobriquet said:
    Can anyone post the AB file for Gallowshumour and explain how it works?
    Syntax:
    GALLOWSHUMOUR <target>

Works on/against:
    Adventurers

Cooldown:
    2.10 seconds of balance
    Details:
    Sometimes the infamous greyfaces need a bit of a different approach to  
    coax out a smile. If wielding a puppet of one such poor soul, you may   
    enlighten him or her with some good old gallows humour, adding some real
    character to his face in the process(*). Even then, you might need to   
    soften them up a bit first(**).                                         

* This will improve the fashioned state of your puppet.
    ** The more afflictions the target has, the more fashions you will      
    receive. They will require at least two and several things are excluded:
    broken limbs, writhe afflictions, and anything with a nonstandard cure  
    such as time.
    I am not currently jester, so haven't been able to test it.

• Sobriquet said:
    Can anyone post the AB file for Gallowshumour and explain how it works?
    Give affs -> gallowhumour person -> gain fashions.
    Given the requirement I'm guessing it'll have better scaling than soulrend. Although much like soulrend, I'm sure it won't deter people from still doing the fashion/run strategy.

• Probably even more so. Micky plus 3 axes, fashion with GH and then flip/hermit/Uni/balloon out, rinse and repeat. I was a staunch advocate for Jester for so long but this seems like it's not going to fix anything 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • The Gods and their black humor eh?
  • Is there a way to see your recent credit transfers? As in, transfer x credits to y person for z gold? I made a transaction but I'd been awake for 30 hours at the time and I can't remember the guy's name for the life of me.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    CREDITHISTORY

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.