Handling Extreme Cold

2»

Comments

• Wooooo-oo-o
  • Ismay said:
    Ok, too damn much frozen ground, slipping and falling, etc. :#

See, this is what I meant by my previous comment. Some of these realistic features make things entirely too annoying to partake in. For instance, I've been trying to travel through the Meropis mountains, and slipping in a majority of the rooms, up to 8 times, before being able to actually leave. Very frustrating.

I completely agree. Was in the Tundra recently and it took me far, far too long to get anywhere because of all of the ice. Levitation and hovering had no effect, so far I haven't been any to find a reliable solution other than flying over everything, but then I can't find the quest denizens I need.
  • Oh shit, did they pull a Lusternia with the weather system? No bueno
  • Aegoth said:
    Oh shit, did they pull a Lusternia with the weather system? No bueno
    Last I recall, there wasn't really anyone who thought Lusternia's was a good idea... Similarly in Aetolia I'm pretty sure there's like nobody who approves the frozen ground from it being cold etc... So my question is why the hell would you add it to Achaea? :|  There's plenty of ways to change stuff like the weather system, without going that route.

• edited August 2018
    It can be snowy and cold without it being icy.  Having lived in the frigid north, most of the time it's not slippery at all!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited August 2018
    Klendathu said:
    Taryius said:
    I love the changes, can't wait to explore them more! I

I'm a little surprised at the frozen ground in the Vasnari, never really thought of that region as overly cold with it being centred on our world map and being right beside a volcano. 
    Elevation
    I still don't believe the elevation in the Vasnari mountains makes it cold enough for frozen ground. The room descriptions constantly refer to the rainfall (not snow), vines, moss, bushes, plants, flowers, trees and grass growing upon the mountainside. Lots of references to harsh winds, but not icy cold. 

Edit: I suppose it is winter in Achaea right now, wouldn't it be sweet if that had an effect on the weather systems.

It feels even more odd that the Meropis mountains are icy, but not the Vashnar Mountains which are very heavy on icy, frozen room description and room titles. (Not advocating for freezing those either.)

All aside, I think frozen ground should be a little less generous even in the coldest of places.
  • edited August 2018
    I feel like making weather have effects is a bad idea in general. It didn't work for other games, and just makes playing and walking around a HUGE nuisance. 
  • edited August 2018
    I think weather is pretty great as long as it's flavor and not detrimental to an annoying degree.  I wouldn't mind if I get rained on and have a message that in wet or something, or that I'm shivering in the cold, but ice rooms are annoying hehe
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Taryius said:
    Klendathu said:
    Taryius said:

I'm a little surprised at the frozen ground in the Vasnari, never really thought of that region as overly cold with it being centred on our world map and being right beside a volcano. 
    Elevation
    I still don't believe the elevation in the Vasnari mountains makes it cold enough for frozen ground. The room descriptions constantly refer to the rainfall (not snow), vines, moss, bushes, plants, flowers, trees and grass growing upon the mountainside. Lots of references to harsh winds, but not icy cold. 

Edit: I suppose it is winter in Achaea right now, wouldn't it be sweet if that had an effect on the weather systems.

It feels even more odd that the Meropis mountains are icy, but not the Vashnar Mountains which are very heavy on icy, frozen room description and room titles. (Not advocating for freezing those either.)

All aside, I think frozen ground should be a little less generous even in the coldest of places.
    The western ithmia was nonsensically below freezing for like a hundred years so what is the point of arguing realistic details exactly???
  • Dupre said:
    Taryius said:
    Klendathu said:
    Taryius said:

Elevation

The western ithmia was nonsensically below freezing for like a hundred years so what is the point of arguing realistic details exactly???
    Because the western ithmia got changed
  • Taryius said:

To the above: seasons do indeed impact which special weather can occur.
  • Penwize said:
    The weather effects are super cool.  Frozen ground is super simple to deal with, unless your ping is horrible I suppose.  Still, I love that weather actually has an impact on things.  If anything I want more stuff like this, not less!
    Yeah but you also think places like the Underworld are fun to bash in.

We all know you're a masochist.

• inb4 Ice Spikes artefact - 1000cr - ignore frozen rooms.
  • Telinus said:
    inb4 Ice Spikes artefact - 1000cr - ignore frozen rooms.
    inb4 "omg a Telinus!"

• Personally, my trouble with weather having dramatic effects is that it makes it less likely we'll ever see anything remotely extreme in a city. I really miss Cyrenian blizzards and rainstorms, and think they gave the city some unique geographical flavour, but right now the city tends to have a pretty mild climate since effects have been added to temperature/weather.