What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited July 2018
    The average spider eats 2000 insects per year. Flies land on excrement and your food. I'd rather one spider than 2000 flies (yes, I know flies are not the only insect a spider may eat).

I don't get how a picture of such a useful creature upsets people so much, but everyone's different, so we have to respect their wishes.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Tvistor said:
    I would like to continue my long history of annoying Cooper by pointing out that the first large-scale study on Google (Gender and age differences in the prevalence of specific fears and phobias) indicates a prevalence of [2.2% - 4.9%] at a confidence level of 95%, and the NIMH states that the total prevalence of specific phobias within the past year was 9.1% (that is, across all acknowledged specific phobias in the U.S). The lower bound being 30% does not sound right in light of this, unless statisticians are conspiring to help their arachnoid brethren. These numbers must be talking about a weaker, general 'spiders are spooky' feeling.

I tried to resist, but the siren song of the tl;dr was too strong. Forgive me, father.
    Hey. HEY! I see you there, @Tvistor. I missed your face.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Cooper's wrong but Tvistor's post is full of copypasted garble too. Citing "Gender and age differences in the prevalence of specific fears and phobias" is irrelevant and 95% is the common norm for confidence intervals.

The only thing that was needed is "total prevalence of specific phobias within the past year was 9.1%" and arachnophobia is a subset of that percentage.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Cooper's wrong but Tvistor's post is full of copypasted garble too. Citing "Gender and age differences in the prevalence of specific fears and phobias" is irrelevant and 95% is the common norm for confidence intervals.

The only thing that was needed is "total prevalence of specific phobias within the past year was 9.1%" and arachnophobia is a subset of that percentage.
    • Based on diagnostic interview data from National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R), Figure 1 shows past year prevalence of specific phobia among U.S. adults aged 18 or older.1
      • An estimated 9.1% of U.S. adults had specific phobia in the past year.
      • Past year prevalence of specific phobia among adults was higher for females (12.2%) than for males (5.8%).
    • An estimated 12.5% of U.S. adults experience specific phobia at some time in their lives.2
    The study itself is why that part isn't irrelevant. It is literally part of the conducted study. The only part @Tvistor said that was irrelevant was asking father, and not me, for forgiveness.

I still forgive you, though.
  • Proficy said:
    Did you all know that 73% of all statistics are made up?
    I can't tell if the irony is intentional or not.
  • edited July 2018
    ... 95% is the common norm for confidence intervals ...
    ... arachnophobia is a subset of that percentage ...
    Minifie already addressed this, but as a statistics tutor I just wanted to comment on these two things specifically for the benefit of random Achaeans (although it is off-topic and I'll drop it after this).

95% absolutely is the norm, but that doesn't mean the results aren't meaningful. For laymen, it's a way scientists quantify their confidence in a set of results. We're basically trying to get the 'true' value of phobias amongst people, but we don't have the time/money to sample every single person. A confidence interval is a way of saying we are 95% sure, based on these results, the true value if we did sample everyone would be between [2.2% and 4.5%]. I used the confidence intervals because if the single point estimate was 3%, and the intervals were [0%, 50%] then Cooper's stated 35% actually would actually be fairly reasonable (despite the study reporting 3%). but

This skips over quite a bit of nuance in how the numbers are calculated, but it's actually very interesting both mathematically and philosophically under the hood. If anyone is interested, I can point them at readings/explain some bits over Skype when I have free time.

And yes, arachnophobia is a subset of that 9.1%. We can infer from this that arachnophobia occurs in ≤ 9.1% of the population. I.e, less than 30%.

@Melodie ily I'll log in at some point, probably, or just Skype me!
    @Minifie I knew you would forgive me deep down, and I consider you to be the Platonic form of father.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Who skypes anymore? Get with the cool kids and join Discord. @Tvistor
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Participated/took witness of a Druidic Ritual of Harmony.

Did some bashing myself, was able to get some of my local House with me.

Get back into the routine of learning languages again.

Proceeded in finishing up one additional step in my new household tasks.

Starting to scratch the surface of what will be needed to get into Player vrs Player and some basic kits for handling my curing.

All in all a very productive day!
  • Darkstal said:

Proceeded in finishing up one additional step in my new household tasks.

YAAAS!

• edited August 2018
    For such a short log, it's still so messy. :(
    Woe that person's eyes.

• Can I just start out by saying how disgusted I am that we have to read a log that's in first person? /s

That's a relatively common and known bug that happens when you wield bow/snipe queue'd on balance if you're not wielding bow. You can bypass the bug in those situations by doing AIM <person> <direction> as part of the queue'd command, which will 'load' an arrow and prevent the fake fired arrow from happening. I would avoid doing this for all snipe aliases because you'll wreck your WP spamming aim.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Pyori said:
    Woe that person's eyes.
    I will make you eat those words punk.
  • Rangor said:
    Pyori said:
    Woe that person's eyes.
    I will make you eat those words punk.
    I aint eating nothin' that came from you. :mask:

• Doesn't garrote do more damage than a single snipe anyway?
  • edited August 2018
    Zheo said:
    Doesn't garrote do more damage than a single snipe anyway?
    Probably could have just bstabbed gecko and bit camus.

• "Rackham has been slain by the might of a sea cucumber."

...that was a trip. Haha.
  • I applied and became Treasurer recently. Despite some nervous jitters I'm glad I'm taking a more proactive role. =)

My responsibilities are manageable, but I've seen a fraction of what other tasks everyone else has to do. Holy crap.

The people that put in the time and effort into running Houses and Cities deserve a lot more credit for the hard work that they do.  :)
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • Town centre of New Thera.

Awash in a constant array of blossom petals, an amber-gold metal and marble statue of Ariel, the former mayor of Thera, sits here. A
    marble fountain sculpted into a lifelike blossom tree within a basin sits at the centrepoint of the plaza. There are 2 burly Theran
    guards here. A small, clear decanter rests here, light twinkling from its glass surface. You may ENTER the WILDERNESS map from here.
    You see exits leading north, northeast, east, south, and west.
    A wormhole is here, leading to: A bloody hallway (#3280) in Belladona.
    20% H:7752 (100%) M: 5878 (79%) E: 39254 (99%) W: 33318 (97%) [ ]EAST

Summer Street east of the town centre.

A New Theran villager stands here at ease.
    You see exits leading north, east, south, and west.
    20% H:7752 (100%) M: 5878 (79%) E: 39252 (99%) W: 33330 (97%) [ ]NORTH

A brightly painted store (indoors).

A tiny pile of white and brown spikes sits in a corner. Her lovely face framed by two dark plaits, Shura stands behind the counter. A
    very large group of silverores rests here.  You see a sign indicating there are WARES for sale here.
    You see exits leading east, south, and up.
    Shura, Mistress of Games exclaims, "Take your time, Rilinstra!"
    20% H:7752 (100%) M: 5878 (79%) E: 39250 (99%) W: 33330 (97%) [ ]get group silverore
    You pick up a group of 3781 silverores.

• No idea how much value I wasted due to the per piece cap, but:

You refine 1 arachnidcolour pieces, 1 arachnideyeball pieces, 1 chitincolour pieces, 1
    clothenchantment pieces, 1 panpipehair pieces, 1 panpipepipes pieces, 1 sphereglass pieces, 2 
    lodestoneleft pieces, 2 sirencork pieces, and 2 sirenglass pieces...
    You've been awarded with a level 1 figurinelegs talisman piece!
  • Exploring my typically unused harvesting skills. I know it's simple, but the image of a blademaster leaping heroically into the air just to rip a fistfull of feathers out of a flying eagle put me into a giggle fit.
  • edited August 2018
    Saeva said:
    SaevaAzareNyneveProficyZekeros and 8 others were promoted to .

All bow before the Fab Five .'s
    The first letter of each of those names, is an anagram for ZSNAP.

That's no coincidence.