Too much quests..

edited August 2018 in General Questions
It was fun to explore Pigmy village and take a few quests there. But then I came to Ember Tower and amount of my quests increased so much that I was quite lost what to do next. I didn't like this feeling.

Do I have to do all the quests?
If I would miss quests - would I regret this in future?
Is it possible play without quests at all?
Are there main, storyline quests?

I would like to have 4-5 quests max at the time (1-3 is even better). Is it possible to play like this?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Tangar said:
    It was fun to explore Pigmy village and take a few quests there. But then I came to Ember Tower and amount of my quests increased so much that I was quite lost what to do next. I didn't like this feeling.

I would like to have 4-5 quests max at the time (1-3 is even better). Is it possible to play like this?

Thanks!
    I think you’re mistaking the quest makeup of Achaea to that of a bigger MMORPG like WoW. Quests are there for you, but you don’t have to do them at all, ever. In Achaea, quests feel more like side stories, where you might do a couple quests in or around an area to learn more about them. Quests are also much, much more “difficult” later on: often times, you’ll be tasked to interact with objects or pieces of the environment that are not at all obvious (like a pile of rocks that arent listed in INFO HERE but might be visible in the description of the room when you LOOK. Many quests reward gold and experience, but the more notable quests offer you an HONOURS line. You can see some of them by doing HONOURS FULL <person>.

As far are “main storyline quests,” stick with yours TASKS. These are the things you SHOULD complete, and they each reward you with meaningful gold, experience, or various other goodies. TASKS are there to help you get acclimated to the world and your choice of city. They’ll also lead you to joining a house later down the line.

You can remove quests from your quest log, but I forget how. However, many quests can take a loooong time to complete, especially if they are timed. Don’t get frustrated by them; in Achaea, the gameplay comes from the ever-changing world the players have created, not necessarily how many dire wolves you can slay or how many times you help Auntie Maim.
  • edited August 2018
    Tangar said:
    You don't have to do any of them.
    There are very few situations where a quest is missable. Those include:
    When you lose access to an area. You won't be able to do any quests in the newbie areas once you reach level 21, for example. Most of the newbie quests are just simple fetch-quests that don't particularly matter, I doubt you'll regret not doing them even if you're a hardcore completionist. The only newbie quest you might want to make a point of finishing is the Black Warren, but it's not a big deal if you don't.
    When an area changes due to some world event. Villages are occasionally destroyed or significantly changed, denizens can die or move somewhere else, or various other things might change that render some quests inaccessible, either temporarily or permanently.
    It is, you could potentially play for 10+ years without ever doing a single quest. The majority of quests are simple "bring me this" or "go kill that" that reward a bit of gold and/or experience, they might help flesh out the area and denizens and provide some direction for exploring, but they aren't particularly meaningful or important.
    Until you reach a high level (90+) though and can start earning a lot of gold from bashing, quests are generally the best way to earn gold. Though that typically involves repeating a small number of high-paying quests in a handful of areas, most quests aren't very rewarding.
    Some quests do offer unique rewards, both temporary and permanent. If you want to become an Elemental Lord someday, for example, that will involve a lot of questing.
    Not in the usual sense, unless you count one-time world events. There are long, complex quests with detailed storylines (these are usually honours quests, quests that add a permanent line to your honours if you complete them), but like any other quest, they reset and usually don't have any lasting effect, you can do most of them repeatedly, and they're normally self-contained, not interconnected with anything outside the quest area.

For the most part, quests in Achaea are much more casual and "free-form" than quests in other RPGs. They just exist there as part of the world, rather than being something explicitly assigned to you to complete. You can ignore them or repeat them as many times as you'd like. For the longest time Achaea didn't even have a quest log, you just informally did things rather than explicitly being "on a quest".
  • You don't even have to quest at all, just grind exp

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Hi Tangar,
    Having done pretty much all the quests (I am die-hard completionist) in the newbie area I would say, for story-line/lore purposes, probably none of them have to be done outside of the pygmy king one. The newbie quests are very helpful for gathering a bit of gold (especially the Black Warren quest) if you don't feel like catching butterflies.  There are several newer/newish quests in the ember tower which are quite fun though.
  • All quests in the game are optional.

You will miss a lot of the depth of areas if you don't do the quests though (especially newer areas).

• Thank you very much for advices! :D
  • Mad props for the HMM2 avatar.