Handling Extreme Cold

So I spend a lot of my Hermit Druidic Time in the Western Ithmia. Recently I noticed that I've consistently been dealing with shivering and the like. After taking the time to survey and checking the forecast I realized that the area, unlike the Eastern and Northern Ithmia, are running at it's coldest around -35ºF with wind to boot.

So I've gone on a quest to find warm clothing.... only to find that a vast majority of clothing is more or less for decoration and very few things provide any substantial bit of warmth.

For those familiar with the markets, are there places I have overlooked (I've checked both Delos, Eleusis, and Hashan) that perhaps sells clothing capable with handling the extreme cold?

Thanks to anyone with any bit of insight on this matter, I've asked around and so far have yet to find a solid answer. Cheers!

Comments

• Tailors can make individual items more warm, but it's unlikely you'll find clothes in shops with this trait, you may have to find a tailor and ask if they do this for you.

I don't know how effective it is, though.
  • Applying caloric should make you not cold.

• Thanks all for the feedback, and the Frozen References were on point. Loved it! LoL

Otherwise I had figured as much, will look into the Caloric option.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited July 2018
    AFAIK, all those cold messages are just flavour messages. has anyone actually suffered detrimental effects from the weather? :/

• So I spent a good chunk of time in my grove trying to make sense of it. I tried meditating to see if it interupted that and so far it has only been flavor. I haven't taken damage, or anything else of the sort. I am starting to wonder if it is to be of concern. Would be odd for the game to have this fun feature of weather and require only the most extreme of clothing that can't be purchase without special order within the game?

Also, Caloric does NOT do anything to affect the messages either. Starting to wonder if it is just the flavor of the forest or if something to actually invest coin into. Anyone else have a similar experience?
  • I've only ever noticed the messages about freezing and cold when exploring the far northern glaciers but i haven't had any negative effects with it. Heck, you can even dive into a sea there with ice floating about and avoid getting hypothermia.
  • I believe it's just flavor. Perhaps at one time they did something or it is a future plan (in D&D one might make survival rolls over prolonged weather exposure and take damage). As far as I know, you just become uncomfortable.
  • I'll continue to play around with it, may have just spent a lot of money on unnecessary clothing at this point so may look into it further down the road.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, if I find something else out/new I'll let you all know!
  • At least you'll look super fly!
  • Xias said:
    I believe it's just flavor. Perhaps at one time they did something or it is a future plan (in D&D one might make survival rolls over prolonged weather exposure and take damage). As far as I know, you just become uncomfortable.
    I think years and years ago there used to be negative effects attached to extreme cold (basically limited to being in the Tundra), but honestly it's just not an interesting mechanic to have to deal with.
  • I have no idea why W. Ithmia is so damn cold but it really is. Maybe something to do with Gaia's temple? It's weird.  

I'm a tailor and I've tried sewing a complete outfit with added warmth on everything and a coat and it doesn't seem to really do much. 
  • The Holy rules of weather code:
    Don't look at it
    Don't touch it
    And for God's sake don't change it.
  • @Rangor Pssst. They rewrote the weather code like two years ago. Get with the times old man.
  • Antonius said:
    @Rangor Pssst. They rewrote the weather code like two years ago. Get with the times old man.
    No wonder he's freezing in the western Ithmia. It is all unraveling!
  • Unraveling? Babel confirmed god of weather.

• I also found going into the treetops does change it to some extent, the weather part doesn't change much.

That being said, I've noticed a drastic change in weather tempurature as well. Some nights it is around 2°F and other full day sun in the sky -45°F... So not sure if intended but the messages seem to coincide with the this to some extent.

I thought about it being the earlier part of the year as well, but the neighboring forests simply do not have this problem at all. I'm goofing around with a mix of random clothing (sweaters, scarfs, thick socks, cloak, etc.) and it makes no difference at all.

Caloric seemed like a good idea, but those focus primarily on afflictions and not the environment. I think the only frustrating part was having to discover this for myself and having spent so much coin on clothing that doesn't necessary match my persona only to fix a problem that is purely flavor and doesn't have anything to do with clothing warmth.
  • Rangor said:
    Antonius said:
    @Rangor Pssst. They rewrote the weather code like two years ago. Get with the times old man.
    Western Ithmia's weather now makes a bit more sense.
  • Rhivona said:
    Rangor said:
    Antonius said:
    You... Changed the weather code? 

Are you also the answer to defeating oblivion?
  • Rhivona said:
    Does the weather system actually allow for precipitation now or are we still in the midst of a world-wide centuries-long drought?
  • Sena said:
    Rhivona said:
    Does the weather system actually allow for precipitation now or are we still in the midst of a world-wide centuries-long drought?
    I've been doing tasks across all of Achaea for various Villaige/Household fun. At no point was there precipitation, and some area's weather didn't seem to match the surroundings and seemed a bit out of place. Not entirely sure the basics or anything but I've been trying to get a good feel of it all.

As of now, unless I summon rain in my grove there isn't much going on... Though that brings up a cool idea that weather can potentially provide benefits/afflictions in the right circumstances? Though I know from older posts concerning this subject it wasn't well received.
  • Sounds neat but having experienced it already, at best it was annoying.
  • Some of these ideas sound awesome until you start having to deal with them in real time. Much like the many inconvenience “features” we have that end up only being a frustration. 
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Sena said:
    Rhivona said:
    A bit late, but you'll forgive the little bit of secrecy regarding this project - as per ANNOUNCE 4950, the weather system now indeed allows for precipitation again, amongst other things.
  • edited August 2018
    Ok, too damn much frozen ground, slipping and falling, etc. :#

See, this is what I meant by my previous comment. Some of these realistic features make things entirely too annoying to partake in. For instance, I've been trying to travel through the Meropis mountains, and slipping in a majority of the rooms, up to 8 times, before being able to actually leave. Very frustrating.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• I love the changes, can't wait to explore them more! I

I'm a little surprised at the frozen ground in the Vasnari, never really thought of that region as overly cold with it being centred on our world map and being right beside a volcano. 
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Taryius said:
    I love the changes, can't wait to explore them more! I

I'm a little surprised at the frozen ground in the Vasnari, never really thought of that region as overly cold with it being centred on our world map and being right beside a volcano. 
    Elevation

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."