Bashing - Jester vs Priest

Hello,

I just had a quick question.  I recently switched from Jester to Priest and can't help but feel like my damage dropped soo much. 

As a Jester, I had 14str, trans Pranks, and lvl 3 blackjack.  As a priest I have 16str, trans Spirituality, and lvl 3 mace.

A bop on a mhun in Mog would do 5%.  A smite with the mace does 3%.

I guess I am confused because not only do I have more strength as a Priest, but the mace weapon has substantially higher dmg (same speed) than the lvl 3 blackjack.

This isn't a bitchy rant, I'm just genuinely curious.  Loving Priest regardless so far :)

Comments

• Priest is a more defensive class.  Its damage may be less, but you can tackle harder areas by using hands, so that is a plus.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Damage stat on a weapon is not a good indicator of the actual damage you'll put out, especially for classes with non-standard attacks. Jester is actually one of the better bashing classes in terms of DPS, whereas priest is one of the worst no matter which artefacts you have. Since priest is passively tankier you might find that you can handle harder areas with less stress, though.

(Side note, priest has hands, but jester has priestess. So in terms of active options it's kind of even in that regard).

• Priest also has rites you can move with you, plus the angel will heal you passively as well.
  • Bashing damage has class-specific modifiers applied to it. Those modifiers are based on how naturally tanky a class is (what kind of armour it can use, what defences it has to mitigate incoming damage); Priest has a pretty low (possibly even negative) modifier, Jester presumably has a better one.
  • Hmm thanks for the info guys.  I actually had not seen the EMPATHY spell for the passive angel healing.  I think despite the weak smite attack, it is ultimately not too much slower DPS-wise with the dot battlerage spell critting.  It is certainly tankier with rites/hands/angel.

I do wonder where the benefit of the Auroran mace comes in though.  1600cr for this thing... I retired my old characters so it wasn't a big investment for me.  But what must bashing as a priest be like without it?  Do you do 1% damage to things? :bleep_bloop:
  • edited July 2018
    The mace is sadly one of the worst upgrades for hunting.  The difference isn't very large.  In pvp it is way more useful and will mean you can break any opponents limb in 3 or 4 hits which is very fast.  For hunting as priest, shield of absorption is a better return on investment, followed by crit pendant and then the boost to sip amount.
  • A faster mace is also valuable in PvP since you can then smite+chasten+lash without slowing your aff rate down - it will match your chasten speed with all of the bal/eq modifiers present plus level 3 mace. Slower maces will drag your affliction rate down and force you to forego smite for optimal rates.

It's basically the opposite of an arti blackjack in that regard, since the blackjack is amazing for bashing and absolutely useless for PvP.

• Aha then I am not disappointed.  Time to learn Achaea pvp it seems