Battle for Azeroth

Anyone going to be playing? Pre-patch is coming next week (the 17th).

I got pissed off enough at BDO to dump playing it for a couple months probably, and since I told myself I wasn't buying any more into this month's promo, I decided to buy a completely new account to start fresh with. It was only $90NZD for the account, legion and BfA all together... Which is only like $15 more than BFA would've cost me on its own.

Comments

• I'm all set to go, I jumped back in pretty recently after a year's hiatus to get my heritage armor for Highmountain Tauren. It was really not worth the super long grind but at least I have totems strapped to my shoulders now!

• Issam said:
     It was really not worth the super long grind but at least I have totems strapped to my shoulders now!
    I got about level 34 or so without any heirlooms whatsoever before I said "holy shit this is bad" then bought a WoW token to buy a full set for every class I like/plan on playing.

Played on a 'blizzlike' TBC server for the past 3 months, so I was used to it taking time to do stuff... But damn no heirloom leveling these days is awful.

• Yeah, I definitely would not have been able to complete the grind without heirlooms. I just resubbed to talk with guild friends, and then figured it was pointless to play any of my 110s until the pre-patch at least, so this was my justification :(

• This might be the first expac I don't buy or jump into at launch since Wrath. I think I'm still burned out from mystics in Legion though overall I felt Legion was a great expansion.

Wish I had as much time as I used to in college, raiding progression BC content 6 hrs a day like nothing  :p sometimes I miss the chase
  • edited July 2018
    I liked Legion a lot and I love the dino druid forms, but I dunno if I'll be playing this. The changes to gcd means one of my favorite specs (subtlety) is now gonna be really weird, and I generally dislike things that just randomly slow the gameplay for no reason. That said, symbols is apparently an exception to the GCD thing so maybe it's not so bad, and find weakness being back is exciting.

Druid's still not particularly interesting though from what I can tell, so looking cool isn't gonna make up for that.
  • edited July 2018
    Even though I barely got to play it much because of raid schedules and needs, Shaman has been my favourite since near the end of Cata so I'm gonna be playing that now that I don't have a guild to commit to. Enhance especially looks like it's gonna be good, and it's apparently getting an overhaul in 8.1 or so I heard.

Haven't really looked at the other classes yet. My favourite was always Rogue, but I haven't really liked that since Cata for a plethora of reasons. Second to that is Disc priest, and I haven't liked that entirely since Wrath. It's fine to play, just not really my style with how it got changed. Even though it's almost primarily what I raided on in Legion, it also contributed heavily to me quitting every time.

• Druid FTW.

• I play Resto on an alt--I do love rolling hots through dungeons. Warlock is my main though. They haven't been super fun for awhile now but I love the flavor the most.
  • I played Aff Warlock in the last expansion and it was super strong and fun. Never liked it before that. I usually play Resto Druid though. It's the one class I always seem to go back to, even when I complain about having to heal all the time.

•       
  • There are probably more boars to kill in BfA. I’m down.
  • edited July 2018
    Ret pally is always fun.  Holy pally is also fun, I always like choosing who dies when the party is a bunch of morons.  "Oh you died?  Whoops sooorrryyyyy" 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I tried being a healadin but could never stomach past the 50s. I think ret might be fun since I never tried that spec.

Same with sammy. Tried healing and got bored even faster. Priest is ok but druid seemed the most fun to me.
  • edited July 2018
    Yeah that's why I like healing.  Usually you just wander akong either them not doing anything.  It's the lazy man spec unless you're doing mystics
  • I've found healing anything before like WoD blows now, especially since tanks still have the habit of mass-pulling shit after the hp increases... Healers not healing for all that much pre-90 or so, coupled with tanks being stupid = a nightmare.

My resto shaman heals for like ~1900-2000 per heal/~3500 crit, and tanks have like 22000. Pretty much have to use like a third of my mana bar if they pull more than 1 pack.

I've been leveling my ret and resto shaman about equally, since buying new account. Ret is in northrend, Shaman is in outland right now. End up sitting in queues for 20-30minutes at the times I'm able to play, before saying fuck it and queueing as healer and feeling like killing myself by the end of the dungeon. Seeing the 3 dps, combined, do barely more than I do solo when I get to DPS, is horrifying.

• Hehehe, I'll admit--the only reason I wanted a shammy at the time was BL. Then mages got it and I was like hot damn, let's do that!
  • I haven't played WoW for years. Sometimes I consider picking it up again, but I know I'd end up raiding for 4+ hours almost every night again, and that's not really great for me.

I always hated healing the few times I tried it, though. I played Protection Paladin throughout Wrath of the Lich King, including finishing up 10-man heroic Icecrown Citadel and getting the mount for completing all of the achievements. I mostly ended up tanking because nobody else was any good at it. I also had a pretty decent set of gear for Retribution by the end of the expansion, and switched servers to a guild that focused exclusively on 25-man raiding for the last month or so of Wrath as a DPS, then raided as DPS for the first couple of tiers of Cataclysm (before I quit WoW for good). From what I could tell from the major ranking sites, I seemed to be one of very few Ret Paladins actually raiding at that time.
  • edited July 2018
    Antonius said:
    From what I could tell from the major ranking sites, I seemed to be one of very few Ret Paladins actually raiding at that time.
    I dunno about US realms, but Oce had quite a few of them that I recall. Both our 10-man teams had one, so did the other top 3 or 4 guilds on our server. So did Avast and Adept (the top OCE guilds from like BC->WoD, and were ~top20-30 in the world). Our guild leader was one, even though he mostly played Holy on our progression nights. When we didn't need a 3rd healer he was always ret.

Ret was honestly pretty decent most of wrath and cata, I think they just weren't as good as other melee at the time. Especially since legendary for DS was for rogues.

I played Feral tank since Sunwell, all the way until Siege of Orgrimmar in PvE... Wasn't until WoD that I decided to switch when I left the guild I raided with that entire time. Then I went to enhance and spriest (occasionally resto / disc) for pve because those are the two I enjoyed more; like you I only really tanked because the other 'tanks' in our guild were... Not so great.

• edited July 2018
    Ret pallies have really increased in dps the last couple expansions.  Healing is far more focused on HoTs than in wrath as well, as holy in wrath I could do super leet main tank heals.  Crits which were frequent would heal for half or more hp.  Now it's spread out a lot more and sometimes hard to keep up.  If tanks don't work with that then I don't work harder and just let them die.  No remorse!
  • Pyori said:
    Antonius said:
    From what I could tell from the major ranking sites, I seemed to be one of very few Ret Paladins actually raiding at that time.
    I dunno about US realms, but Oce had quite a few of them that I recall. Both our 10-man teams had one, so did the other top 3 or 4 guilds on our server. So did Avast and Adept (the top OCE guilds from like BC->WoD, and were ~top20-30 in the world). Our guild leader was one, even though he mostly played Holy on our progression nights. When we didn't need a 3rd healer he was always ret.

Ret was honestly pretty decent most of wrath and cata, I think they just weren't as good as other melee at the time. Especially since legendary for DS was for rogues.

I played Feral tank since Sunwell, all the way until Siege of Orgrimmar in PvE... Wasn't until WoD that I decided to switch when I left the guild I raided with that entire time. Then I went to enhance and spriest (occasionally resto / disc) for pve because those are the two I enjoyed more; like you I only really tanked because the other 'tanks' in our guild were... Not so great.
    I may have just been looking at EU, I don't recall. Obviously this was years ago. To clarify, this was during Cataclysm raids, not Wrath (there were plenty of Ret Paladins raiding during Wrath). 

Retribution definitely wasn't bad for those expansions, it just also wasn't the best option, especially at the start of Cataclysm. The really serious guilds all switched to other class characters.
  • Antonius said:
    Pyori said:
    Antonius said:

I may have just been looking at EU, I don't recall. Obviously this was years ago. To clarify, this was during Cataclysm raids, not Wrath (there were plenty of Ret Paladins raiding during Wrath). 

Retribution definitely wasn't bad for those expansions, it just also wasn't the best option, especially at the start of Cataclysm. The really serious guilds all switched to other class characters.
    Was talking about Cata!

EU does tend to do things differently, though. As always though, a good player on 'okay' class is always gonna do better than a mediocre player on great class. Two of our dps (the ret, and our enhance sham) were two of the highest parsing people on the server, when they were both middle-of-the-pack in terms of realistic DPS. Compared to a few of the 'top' mages on our server at the time doing less, despite being the highest dps class. Lol.

• Pyori said:
    As always though, a good player on 'okay' class is always gonna do better than a mediocre player on great class. Two of our dps (the ret, and our enhance sham) were two of the highest parsing people on the server, when they were both middle-of-the-pack in terms of realistic DPS. Compared to a few of the 'top' mages on our server at the time doing less, despite being the highest dps class. Lol. 
    Oh, absolutely. I'd like to say I was a better than good player, though not close to the absolute top tier. Cataclysm had a couple of encounters that were distinctly not friendly to melee DPS, but I would still beat the majority of ranged DPS (and pretty much all the other melee) in my guild.

Going to stop reminiscing before I find myself subscribing to WoW again though!
  • Antonius said:
    Pyori said:
    As always though, a good player on 'okay' class is always gonna do better than a mediocre player on great class. Two of our dps (the ret, and our enhance sham) were two of the highest parsing people on the server, when they were both middle-of-the-pack in terms of realistic DPS. Compared to a few of the 'top' mages on our server at the time doing less, despite being the highest dps class. Lol. 
    Oh, absolutely. I'd like to say I was a better than good player, though not close to the absolute top tier. Cataclysm had a couple of encounters that were distinctly not friendly to melee DPS, but I would still beat the majority of ranged DPS (and pretty much all the other melee) in my guild.

Going to stop reminiscing before I find myself subscribing to WoW again though!
    If by a 'couple of encounters' you mean most of the expansion, barring maybe 1 or 2 specs. :P

• Arcane mage has always been super fun imho.  Especially the last few expansions.  In the right hands it just kills in dps, and as much as I liked ret, arcane mage was just more fun.
  • You would like Arcane.

• Pyori said:
     feeling like killing myself by the end of the dungeon.
    This is the general healer/tank feeling in any and all dungeons.

• I'll be playing, haven't quite settled on what class to play. I have most of them at 110 atm, so I got plenty of options haha

• edited July 2018
    I’ll probably play again, not sure if I’ll go back to frostmourne and raid or go back to rated bgs, but considering spriest or paladin atm
  • edited July 2018
    Wrath was such a solid expac. It sucks deep down I judge most expacs against it. Solid story line, interesting zones, fun dungeons, a mostly fun pvp zone (WG could have been a tiny bit better with zone tuning), and a variety of raids.

I didn't mind doing Naxx again since I didn't get a chance to really raid it in Vanilla and Ulduar still remains as one of my favorite raids of all time. ICC was also super flavorful and challenging.

I miss tanking as a warlock--SSC, SWP, and even in Uld.
  • edited July 2018
    Xias said:
    I miss tanking as a warlock--SSC, SWP, and even in Uld.
    ICC, as well, on the "council" fight before the vampire bitch.

I stand by the assertation that Wrath was the best expansion. It cleaned up all the awful things that were left from Vanilla that BC didn't get to fix, and made a lot of BC things better.

Naxx was okay but it was pretty shitty as a starter raid compared to stuff like Kara. Even BWD and BoT are/were better- loved Firelands too, even though Cata was largely meh. I think the only one worse than Naxx was Emerald Nightmare. ToC was garbage as well; that needs to be retconned out of the game.

Throne of Thunder story/raid >= Ulduar > ICC > whatever else, in terms of raid enjoyability.