Memorable quotes

Comments

• Was yeah. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia

A mechanic is judged and found wanting

Written by: Makarios, the Meticulous 
    Date: Monday, July 9th, 2018
    Addressed to: Everyone

We've been monitoring the last few shrine wars that have taken place and have noticed a few trends. A major one that we've just addressed is that judgement is in fact used far less than simply killing a (usually) willing ally. The original intent of corpse defiling was to permit the use of enemy corpses to drop shrines, but it hasn't really worked out that way, and instead removes most of the limitors placed on order's abilities to mass drop shrines. We considered making only corpses from the target order work for this purpose, but felt it offered a too trivial way to identify what order someone was a member of.

With that in mind, using of corpses to remove the judgement step of a defilement has been removed. Judgement is now the only way for an order to drop a shrine. We'll be keeping an eye on this in the coming days to ensure that it doesn't make things too restrictive.

Enjoy!

Penned by My hand on the 18th of Chronos, in the year 775 AF.

(D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:

A mechanic is judged and found wanting

Written by: Makarios, the Meticulous 
    Date: Monday, July 9th, 2018
    Addressed to: Everyone

We've been monitoring the last few shrine wars that have taken place and have noticed a few trends. A major one that we've just addressed is that judgement is in fact used far less than simply killing a (usually) willing ally. The original intent of corpse defiling was to permit the use of enemy corpses to drop shrines, but it hasn't really worked out that way, and instead removes most of the limitors placed on order's abilities to mass drop shrines. We considered making only corpses from the target order work for this purpose, but felt it offered a too trivial way to identify what order someone was a member of.

With that in mind, using of corpses to remove the judgement step of a defilement has been removed. Judgement is now the only way for an order to drop a shrine. We'll be keeping an eye on this in the coming days to ensure that it doesn't make things too restrictive.

Enjoy!

Penned by My hand on the 18th of Chronos, in the year 775 AF.

Should probably decrease the escalating cost of using judgement as well then. :/
  • More proof @Makarios just likes Targ more :-)

(In case it isnt clear, I am just getting ahead of the bitching)

• With that in mind, essence costs and accumulation rate may need to be looked at, because this change is going to cripple small Orders without the benefit of a city to raise shrines and a defendable area to hold sovereign.

They were already at the disadvantage of having the entire network dusted at off-peak hours, this just makes it harder to reclaim areas once your Order's started losing. It's a negative feedback loop.
  • edited July 2018
    I wouldn't think this would impact smaller orders more than prior mechanics, anyway. Those smaller orders get the advantage of their shrines being more difficult to destroy and the shrine limit makes it impossible for an order to replace all of an order's shrines with their own unless they dismantle their entire network. If they do for some reason do that, just move your own network too. Judgement costs won't normally adversely impact the defender.

But there's always also the reasonable option of just not maintaining a large shrine network, like Antonius said. Shrines aren't extremely important to the welfare of an order, especially a small one that won't really be crusading.
  • What about cities with more than 1 order to dismantle networks vs single god cities (atm mhaldor/hashan V targ/ashtan (loosis kinda has 2 but I have no idea how many exist still in gaia’s order)). 
  • edited July 2018
    Multiorder factions definitely have an advantage, but shrine wars will never really be  balanced with timezones, etc. Just raise in different areas. There are plenty out there. I think it's unlikely to be a real issue (enemies raising in your areas, that is). Most factions only really care about one or two areas.

The change makes it better than what it was.

Our entire shrine network was blasted by Ashtan and we definitely can't maintain it with our login times compared to theirs but we're still alive and happy.
  • edited July 2018
    Hey man that was all Penwize; I’m too lazy to look outside Jaru. 

I like the change. It will definitely lead to a different flavor of shrine conflict tho. 

• edited July 2018
    Idk, as long as shrine conflict = bash, bash, bash, and drop all their shrines while they aren't logged in, my order will probably be equally uninterested in it. Even with the increasing costs, I can't see it being worth it to us to re-raise. It's fun when we're there and there's pk, but ultimately, no matter the result of the pk, all our shrines will be gone again when I wake up in the morning.

This isn't a complaint per se, because I don't mind there being a system for bashers to have fun with or whatever, but for me, it's not worth trying to maintain a full network against. It's very much a bashing competition and a competition of which order logs in the most.

Admittedly, I have no idea what the actual timer is on when judgement costs reset, and that is pretty relevant.
  • I suppose I mean severity when I say flavor. I think striking back once you’ve fallen behind will be tough now that you -must- expend essence that you would probably prefer to use raising. It’s more of a balancing act. 

• It Is at serenade... 
    And smaller orders are going to have it more difficult due to member participation. The increasing essence cost is on a per player basis, means its x for the first shrine I drop and 2x 4x 8x and so on (not exact at all but basics). But if I get someone to start dropping after me it goes back to that basic x cost to use judgement for them..... so an order with more members with access to judgement can still easily drop a ton of shrines with that initial x cost without increasing too much.

Alot of effort for something that most are not involved with, maybe some other mechanics for shrines can be put in play? Or just reassessment of order powers, especially since world burn is prolly the only one being used.
  • edited July 2018
    I like and use other powers, but I wish they could affect allies. The main downside is they usually only help one or two members of the team, and shrine conflict is almost never limited to just order members.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Farrah, your shrine network getting destroyed was basically due to myself and Penwize primarily. If your shrines in Targ weren’t on guard stacks, I’d have pushed for those as well.

I’ve dealt with complaints personally from your side and things happening offpeak. I actually play in my peak times, when I would normally be active, except I would be at work.

We had to deal with you permanently destoying a part of Ashtan. We had to deal with you performing rituals we have no counter against, killing Arcadians and raising shrines when Klendathu’s asleep and I’m at work, unable to do anything about it ourselves. We are lucky that we have Ashtani willing to support us and jump in to help defend when they do.

Penwize only had to hold Jaru, but maybe weeks of frustration and other stress has finally made me want to lash out instead of taking it like we normally have to. For once, I wanted the people that out number us, that out experience us, that out everything us have to deal with frustration in return, for this is us finally reacting, and it’s united Ashtan in a glorious way.

When this all began, I had no idea how we would survive the odds going up against the Caefir, against people notoriously hard to kill, that are, in my eyes, far better experienced to handle the task we were given. I never expected to be that involved. I certainly never expected that I would be killing people or defiling shrines. I never expected Kyrra to ever possess a ruthless sort of determination to cause so much wanton destruction.

I’m not at all comfortable with the direction my character has gone or being forced to destroy the carefully maintained relations that I prided myself on having because I avoided the conflict. What the Caefir started drew Kyrra in, she started breaking shrines, and now they are broken real good.

And for what it’s worth, I meant what I said. Klendathu and I fully expected you to retaliate in typical Targossian fashion where we’d be the ones to wake up our shrine network destroyed because that is what you do to Babel and Aegis shrines. The fact that didn’t happen wasn’t something we expected and we were willing to accept that loss. Neither of us can be around that much doing your peak time to participate. The times when I have woken up super early, they have been fun but short lived.

tl;dr 2:00am ramblings.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited July 2018
    I feel like you missed the part where I said I'm not really complaining. We aren't frustrated, but I'm somewhat confused as to what has caused weeks of frustration for you as we have never really done anything to your order. :/

As far as I'm aware, no Caefir bash Arcadia, and we only defiled and raised a single shrine on a single occasion because I wanted to use shrine healing against the stormshapers. We haven't otherwise bothered you.

You have the easiest counter to the rituals ever. Monster denizens come destroy me every time I start them. No Farethi have had to do anything to stop them, ever (which is fine, other than that your complaining about having to do nothing is irritating). Not to mention they don't do anything to actually hurt you.

You outnumber us generally, not the other way around. I think most would agree Ashtan currently has more experienced fighters as well, and more bashers. We never would have started a shrine war with Vastar. Nor have we ever done that to Aegis or Babel. We defile here and there but not on massive levels. You have done far more to attempt to bother us than we have ever done to you. We are fine. Why are you so frustrated?
  • I love this change.  I've long thought being able to use any corpse to destroy shrines was too open ended.  Can't wait to see how things change!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • The mechanic wanted it all, and then Dunn threw him under the bus (probably to fix it to be fair).
  • He never saw it coming. 

• I always get asked if I'll come raid, or if I'll come do <x> PK thing... My answer is usually "no thanks."
    I get asked "how come?"
    And I'm just here like "y'all ever read forums? that's why"

• edited July 2018
    I'm the world's worst PvPer but once I understood there is a 99% chance I'll die, it wasn't so bad.

Sometimes that 1% means I get lucky with a swing in group combat and land a kill--worth it for the rush.

Shrines or not, I say bring it on you filthy heretics!

• Pyori said:
    I always get asked if I'll come raid, or if I'll come do <x> PK thing... My answer is usually "no thanks."
    I get asked "how come?"
    But the forums says PK is awesome. Just search for @Klendathu and filter the last month posts.
  • Rangor said:
    Pyori said:
    I always get asked if I'll come raid, or if I'll come do <x> PK thing... My answer is usually "no thanks."
    I get asked "how come?"
    But the forums says PK is awesome. Just search for @Klendathu and filter the last month posts.
    A fleeting moment.