Dual Wield Cutting -- Battleaxe or Scimitars for Hunting?

YveYve
edited June 2018 in Quick Class Questions
As title suggests. Is the damage upgrade when going axe still decent when you take into account the loss of strike speed?

EDIT:
https://forums.achaea.com/discussion/comment/380834#Comment_380834
Forgot to  link this. Is this information still relevant?

Best Answers

Answers

• Does anyone use battleaxes in PK? It's been quite a while since I've seen them, but the amount I fight these days is practically nonexistent, so I don't have a large sample to go on.

• I think razeslash got changed somehow, so RSLing with a battleaxe isn't worth it anymore, or something? I don't remember; that was about the only time using battleaxes was worthwhile. Although I guess in groups you could still DSL with battleaxes for fat damage, probably not the best thing to be doing, though.

• I -think- @Proficy will break them out for damage every so often? Haven't fought him in ages though.
  • Battle axes do about flail damage, and deliver venoms.... they are a bit slower though. Great limb damage too though.
    Hunting wise they aren't bad, they deliver about the same DPS as scimitar, but hit less compared to scinitars obviously so scimitar are still faster... a lot faster due too crits.
  • Also, you dont have to choose! 
    It's possible to use 1 scim and 1 axe!
    Especially since that opens up all the knight abilities without swapping... impale/undercut/arc/concussion etc etc
  • Trey said:
    Does anyone use battleaxes in PK? It's been quite a while since I've seen them, but the amount I fight these days is practically nonexistent, so I don't have a large sample to go on.
    I have a pair of level three battleaxes that I use occasionally. I bought the first one years ago (before the razeslash changes), then bought the second earlier this year when I got tired of not quite being able to finish people off alone if they got out of a group fight when they were low then spammed shield.

With Health Inspector it's a lot easier to execute a well-timed switch from scimitars to battleaxes for a much harder - but slower - hit. Nice when it works out (i.e. you do enough damage that they die), but if you screw the timing up then you're just off balance for a long time with not much to show for it. (As a sort of aside, high strength lunge can also be great for this, if your movement isn't restricted.)

I probably wouldn't ever use them for a full fight, though. If I thought I could damage somebody out with battleaxe hits, I'd also think I could damage them out with scimitars + additional venom damage.
    Pyori said:
    I think razeslash got changed somehow, so RSLing with a battleaxe isn't worth it anymore, or something? I don't remember; that was about the only time using battleaxes was worthwhile. Although I guess in groups you could still DSL with battleaxes for fat damage, probably not the best thing to be doing, though.
    Razeslash used to be a set balance time, rather than dependent on weapon speed, but the damage was based on the damage stat of the right-hand weapon (the one that hits when you razeslash). As a result, you could swap to a battleaxe to razeslash for a significant damage boost without sacrificing any affliction momentum. It's since been changed so that the balance is dependent on weapon speed; razeslash with a scimitar is significantly faster than it was prior, but I think with a battleaxe it's now a bit slower than before.
  • Proficy said:
    Also, you dont have to choose! 
    It's possible to use 1 scim and 1 axe!
    Especially since that opens up all the knight abilities without swapping... impale/undercut/arc/concussion etc etc
    Is that actually viable for combat or does it just make your dsl too slow and/or harder to track limbs? Pretty cool thematically.
  • Not viable in 1v1, could be used in groups to balance speed vs damage, but scims are far more useful in most situations.