Shopkeeping Records

I was wondering if any of you shopkeepers would be willing to either post, or privately send me, copies of your records. They can be bs numbers - I just need examples on how to keep strict records in a shop that I do not own myself.

Being new to shopkeeping, I am struggling to get started with record keeping. I'd even be willing to pay you for your trouble!
Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited May 2018
    When you say you don't own the shop yourself, you mean you're
    (A) Paying rent.
    (B) are sharing a shop space (like you have an allocated bin)
    (C) Running an org shop where you get some reimbursement as a percentage of sales

Incidentally, because we don't have shoplogs, there is no good way (that I know of) to keep track of earnings when policies are involved.

• I think i may have it figured out.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

•  Ismay said:
    I think i may have it figured out.

Better get ready for your IC-presentation to the House and City then B)

• @Nataliia keeps a detailed record for both of her shops (including expenses) to know her profit vs revenue streams.  Don't know how, but she does. 
  • Too much work, just wing it!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Torinn said:
    Too much work, just wing it!
    Pretty much what I did when I rented a shop lol
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• Well, when you’re running org shops, records are useful because you’re held accountable for inventory and profit.

Thanks!

• edited May 2018
    Torinn said:
    When they ask where the gold went just say that kiet stole it!
    That's what I do, especially if I can get reward money for it.
  • @Kiet would make a good scapegoat!

Thanks!

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Spreadsheets are pretty useful for this, if you can be bothered with them.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Well, you can have a sample spreadsheet. It's more detailed than what I actually use, because I generate most of my own stock, I haven't actually had to deduct any cost in purchase...

https://goo.gl/g3TDBp

• What @Skye put up is fairly similar to how I do it, with the exception of what I spent on things since I generate most of my own stock via my own tradeskills.

I don't actually keep an account of what sold down to the letter, per se, but I do know that I have a certain number of stacks of something up (let's say ink, I keep 5 stacks of 50 of each ink in both shops) and if the stacks are either entirely missing or lower than the minimum number of stacks I keep, I know what sold.

Mostly I just track how much I put into the shop (taxes, rent, any tuns I've had to purchase, etc.) and focus on if I'm trying to break even still, or if I've surpassed what I put into it and am making a profit.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I generate all my own stock and I price things like enchantments based off commodity market costs plus 100-200 more gold so I know I'm making a profit on top of the expense.

I also stock things in particular quantities, I always aim to have 5 of every enchantment so when those numbers are low, I know I need to do more. I basically cook one of each recipe and throw that (plus the extras) in, and I'll only restock food when it's out and I feel like it.

About the only thing I keep a spreadsheet for is my rare minerals, since they are supplied to me from someone else and they get 90% of the profits. The spreadsheet keeps a list of total minerals in stock, how much gold I need to deposit if something sells, and how much should be left over for me (that other 10%).

I do use scripts to price things though, and also something to track what's sold outside of tuns but I don't keep that data collectively for reference. Shopkeeping is a really enjoyable way to make use of a lot of trade skills but I refuse to make it more complex than it needs to be. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• With my pricing script I could estimate cost of everything dropped on the floor, assume it as sold and see what the profit will be.... I don't do that.. Maybe I should!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    How do people factor in pricing policy?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    How do people factor in pricing policy?
    Don't use em! 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Skye said:
    Well, you can have a sample spreadsheet. It's more detailed than what I actually use, because I generate most of my own stock, I haven't actually had to deduct any cost in purchase...

https://goo.gl/g3TDBp
    I really like your column notes:

Amt after stocktaking. Use this instead of amt sold cos when you're tired you *will* confuse yourself